Corsair Community

TX650 V2 is much louder than I would have thought

Furtivedog

I wish I had found this thread 2 weeks ago!

I have saved for two years to build a new rig, researched everything. I got a quiet case with a 200mm front fan etc, a cool and quiet CPU HSF and a fan controller to turn all the fans down when I am not gaming. And the PSU, a Corsair (the best PSUs) TX650 V2 650W ATX Enthusiast Series.

Highlights of the Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX Enthusiast Series

An ultra-quiet double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying fan speed in response to temperature

Well for one thing I don't need the fan controller! With them all at max they are quieter than this PSU. Also there doesn't seem to be any change to the fan speed with the TX650.

I'm so disappointed that you wouldn't believe. All the saving, the wife and kids moaning etc.

How can this be advertised as quiet? Obviously it is no problem when I'm gaming. It's lucky I'm in a different room. But for watching TV or video. It has got to be false advertising. I mean my six year old ######## is 2/3's quieter when idle.

Like the op, it seems a replacement wont help. So what are my choices? I guess I can see if the seller will let me return it. How much will that cost?

I'm sorry for the rant, but this has really spoilt the excitement of my new PC, 2500k, 8gb Corsair RAM, Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3, and Asus 560ti o/c.

Is there any help for those of us that have been mislead? I might have to put up with this rubbish for 5 or 6 years.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn, while gaming it gets even louder! I can hear it over my headphones when playing TF2.

RAMGUY, are all TX650 V2 loud? Or is it worth RMAing? This thig is a long way from being 'ultra-quiet'.

The majority of user reviews on a major e-tailers website said this PS is quiet. Does your experience with one unit mean that all the rest are the same as yours? At this time, with all the competition in the PC PS world, and the intense scrutiny that PC hardware review websites subject products to, would any manufacture be crazy enough to attempt to "mislead" or fool customers with a poor product? One bad review from a recognized reviewer would go viral in the PC community. That is the nightmare of the managers of these companies.

Unfortunately, you got a faulty unit. Exchange it for a new one. If that one is the same, get something else.

Well I went for a refund. I don't want to get another loud one. At the end of the day the description states ultra quiet.

And there are more and more complaints for the V2 model being louder than expected, and very few reviews, if any of it.

Yes they are all tested at the factory before they leave so I am not sure what the problem might be. But lets see what happens. But if it happens again it must be some other issue.

This quote from a newer thread was what made me go for the refund. My 6 year old PSU is out of my old PC and into my new one. At idle it is silent. I wouldn't want a replacement and have the same problem, only to be told the PSU is fine and it is another issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I last posted in this thread, the following has occurred:

November 16: Used tech support form to ask what can be done.

November 22: Corresponded with John K, who said the unit needed to be RMA'd again, and made a request to "CSG" via email.

--I decided to wait at this point, and see what would happen... nothing for 2 weeks and then:

December 6: I received an RMA number and shipping label. I shipped the unit via UPS that afternoon.

December 7: UPS tracking shows unit arrived at Corsair's Hong Kong location (wow, fast shipping!)

December 13: Received an email saying my replacement would ship in 1-2 business days, and that I would receive an email with a tracking number. I was advised to email back if I had not received that email within 48 hours.

December 16: Today. No email or package. I did email the address I was given, but who knows when I'll hear anything.

Just received this email in response to my asking what was going on.

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Corsair.

We apologize for the delay in shipping your replacements to you. Unfortunately due to a high demand of this part this is currently on backorder.

Your replacement will be shipped out to you shortly once we have it in stock, ETA for shipment will be on 12/19/2011. Once it shipped you will receive an email with the tracking number information.

Thank you!"

This is hilariously awful. If I hadn't contacted you to ask where the hell my replacement was, were you planning on telling me this at all?

Perhaps you could speak to one of the many, many online suppliers or retail stores with this PSU in stock and get them to send one?

• Corsair Employee

Furtivedog

I am sorry but I only just saw your post I did send our customer service another message to look into your case and contact you with an Update but I fear they have already gone for the weekend so it will likely be Monday before anything can be done. But if you do not hear from them by Monday at 12:00 Noon Pacific Time please let me know and I will call them for you.

Oh, man... here is another victim of Ultra-Quiet TX650 V2 :(

The fan is constantly spinning and this is more than annoying... I can't say nothing more or less than Furtivedog and other martyrs already said about this unit's loudness. Solid built PSU but totally false manufacturer's advertisement about low noise, etc.

Hmmm... Others on this forum have said that an RMA fixed the noise problem, and some have mentioned how quiet the TX650 is.

See this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=101508 The guy thought he needed to RMA the PSU because the fan wasn't running - turns out it was, it was just so quiet he didn't notice.

It seems many of them are unacceptably loud though, which is disappointingly inconsistent. If this replacement doesn't fix the problem I'm going to say "bugger the warranty", remove the fan, and replace it with a non-crap one. The warranty seems mostly meaningless anyway, it's been 3 months since this started and I don't have a properly working replacement yet.

@Furtivedog

I'm affraid that the mentioned guy talks about previous version of TX650 not about the current TX650 V2. Anyway, we're missing here one of the key information: Is it normal for TX650 V2 that the fan always spinning regardless of system load and ambient temperature? If it's engineered in that way than it should be clearly stated by Corsair.

I tried to build as possible quiet system for my current needs, but TX650 V2 ruined that effort. Just to be clear, there are no buzzing, squeaking, knocking, rattling, etc. PSU noises. It's only steady air blowing noise caused by a large PSU fan which is constantly in the lower RPM move. I can't imagine how it should sound when/if the fan kicks in higher speed under the system's heavy load.

I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt, at least until I see the new unit.

If it's loud too, I'm going to void the warranty and replace the fan with an actually-quiet one. I would have been perfectly happy with this PSU had it not been advertised as ultra-quiet and had the box not had that ridiculously inaccurate little graph of load vs noise on it.

I'm certainly sure I won't buy another corsair product. If both units I've had were faulty, the replacement process is unacceptably long and irritating (it's fine that faulty units are shipped, I know it happens sometimes). If it's a case of "the fans on this model are just loud", then I can't trust anything they say about any other products either.

Got an email this afternoon. My PSU has shipped.

Entering my case number into the Corsair online tracker thing just givces me a "the next thing to do is submit an RMA!" page.

The part of the email where I should have been sent a tracking number just reads:

RMA number 1258210 has now been shipped by UPS Express Saver. Your UPS tracking number is . Our records show the following information on the return

I'll just wait, then

I missed this part before:

@Furtivedog

Anyway, we're missing here one of the key information: Is it normal for TX650 V2 that the fan always spinning regardless of system load and ambient temperature? If it's engineered in that way than it should be clearly stated by Corsair.

I agree, we are missing that information. I ahve asked a few times, and nobody has actually answered. Neither of the units I have tested have received have adjusted fan speed under load, and it's not clear what the mechanism for adjustment is, since the graph on the box has "Noise (decibels)" and "System Load" (scaled 20 to 650, so presumably wattage) as the axes, but I could have sworn I've seen temperature mentioned as the controlling mechanism.

- An ultra-quiet, 140mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow with exceptionally low noise levels by varying fan speed in response to temperature

That's official Corsair advert for TX650 V2. Misleading or what?!

- An ultra-quiet, 140mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow with exceptionally low noise levels by varying fan speed in response to temperature

That's official Corsair advert for TX650 V2. Misleading or what?!

Hmm... this very website contains that quote and the below image on the same page.

http://i.imgur.com/LMvVG.gif

So which is it?

http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-tx650-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

I'm glad I went for a refund! I got a 750w psu that gets excellent reviews (and is semi modular)and it was only £10 more. Plus it is silent and I am happy. :) I got one of the ones hi-lighted in yellow, and it wasn't the Corsair!

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Funny, that's the exact same one I was thinking of getting.

I received the replacement unit today. I'm completely pissed off.

Here is the unit straight out of the box.

Motherboard connectors bridged with paper clip. 1.2v case fan attached, with blades jammed. Watt meter on wall socket reads 15w. Loud.

Here is the unit in my case.

Computer running for 10 minutes with CPU (and fan) at 100% via BOINC. Graphics card is unloaded, but fan speed shows 30%. Watt meter on wall socket shows 200w. Equally loud.

I guess "ultra quiet" and "25 decibels" don't mean what I thought they'd mean. Unless, of course, this one's faulty too, but really what are the odds of that?

Also, this is not an Aussie plug.

http://i.imgur.com/1UoK9.jpg

I wouldn't usually mind that, but I think it really demonstrates the general care level at Corsair.

So, what am I to do now?

Damn, I feel your pain. It is a shame the original place you got it from wouldn't give you a refund and you could have chosen another model. I was lucky I had the option of a refund and the vendor picked my unit up from my place of work for nothing.

Very sad... Another problem is that no one from Corsair doesn't told you that their units are simple LOUD and that the RMA will not fix the issue.

Well, I'm in similar boat... bought the PSU from the seller in other country. Now, in order to resolve the problem, I have ordered another PSU from another brand. When the new unit arrive, I'll return this one and ask for a refund. Of course, all of this is an exceptional waste of time and money.

Damn, I feel your pain. It is a shame the original place you got it from wouldn't give you a refund and you could have chosen another model. I was lucky I had the option of a refund and the vendor picked my unit up from my place of work for nothing.

They'll take it back... but if they compare it to a similar unit and it performs the same, they'll charge me 15 bucks and return the original unit. Fair enough, it's hardly their fault the manufacturer can't tell the truth in their advertising.

Very sad... Another problem is that no one from Corsair doesn't told you that their units are simple LOUD and that the RMA will not fix the issue.

Well, I'm in similar boat... bought the PSU from the seller in other country. Now, in order to resolve the problem, I have ordered another PSU from another brand. When the new unit arrive, I'll return this one and ask for a refund. Of course, all of this is an exceptional waste of time and money.

Oh, look at this thread, they've said it a few times. I simply didn't believe it, because why would I expect an "ultra quiet" "25 decibel" fan that "adjusts its speed" to be and do none of those things.

It would be nice if they'd ship me a unit that works as advertised (any model really, as long as it's quiet and 500+ watts), but I'd guess that's simply never going to happen.

• 2 months later...

hi all,

i came across this thread because i recently had to 'upgrade' my PSU to the TX650V2.

i used to have the TX650 V1 but when i upgraded my graphics card the PSU started making 'coil whine' so i contacted Corsair and they replaced it with a V2. that was all good but i had to pay for delivery of the old PSU which was half the cost of a new one...

anyway, i installed the V2 and my heart sank when i powered up. the fan noise is a constant whooshing sound as the others have described. i've emailed Corsair to ask them if this is normal but haven't heard back despite numerous attempts.

i too am left wondering if it is normal that whilst the PC is idle the fan makes such a noise. if i stop the fan then the PC is practically silent.

now i read that the PSU's are made by Seasonic and am wondering if i should just change the fan to the same one that they use to make it quieter (they use a Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan)?

has anyone done this or swapped with a different fan? any other advice? have any of the other posters on this thread had any luck?

• 1 month later...

Jason, I'm experiencing the same issue with my Corsair 650 TX. I just used it for the first time in one of my PC's, and immediately I wondered, "where is that noise coming from?". So I stopped the CPU fan, then the 2 case fans, only to find out it is the new Corsair Power Supply on low power consumption!

Corsair, this is really unacceptable. I have been saving for months to get this PSU, only to get some kind of wind turbine. I bought this for a quiet PC! I had a good experience with an older Corsair 750w PSU, so I thought a PSU by Corsair that is years newer would certainly not be loud!

I'm really disappointed and saddened by this, I spent so much money on this PSU and now I cannot use it in my PC and instead will have to use my old 750 which is at least 4 times more quiet.

Don't fall for the "just RMA it" line, these 650 TX PSU's are all the same, they are all loud. You will spend weeks and money to get a new PSU, only to get the same PSU all over again. I've read customer reviews all over, from NewEgg to YouTube (yes, they actually have videos about the 650 TX being loud!) and some people have sold it off on Ebay for $30 to get rid of it.

Really, really bad, Corsair... I can't believe you guys are selling this PSU. I would rather have a Rosewill PSU than this 650 TX! You should let the afflicted people upgrade to a better PSU for free, having put them through this debacle.

I am now out my hard earned money on a PSU I cannot use for my PC. But, you guys will probably just ignore my post, as you have the previous people posting here.

Next PSU will very likely not be a Corsair anymore.

Archived