Corsair Community

Corsair Force Series 3 and Force GT Firmware Update 1.3

Just in case Corsair haven't caught up yet, no, this firmware does NOT solve the problems. If I could get a refund for this drive, I'd do it in a heartbeat and get something that works instead...

I'm with you all the way... The drive's been broken for how long now? 2 months? Intel fixed their's in what? 4 weeks?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not really relevent here but since it has been mentioned, Intel SSDs are still having firmware issues too. However, that does not concern us. We're focused on assisting the small number of people that are still having issues with the Force 3 and Force GT drives.

The drive freezes up and then BSOD. After reboot, no drive found. Have to power down the computer then power it up again.

Tried changing cables, tried different SATA-ports, upgraded the firmware on the drive, secure-erased it, re-installed Windows 7, tried with both MS AHCI driver and the latest Intel Rapid Storage, flashed the latest BIOS for my motherboard.

Not entirely sure what controller i have, But perhaps Jmicron, running my OS in AHCI mode and i have AMD SATA drivers installed, still haven't updated.

Same problem here. SB850 controller. I can't update to Firmware 1.3 (from 1.2).

Edit: How can i switch disk to SATA III? 880G Extreme3 motherboard has only SATA 3 slots and they are enabled in Bios.

Error Message:

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/676/sata2.png

AS SSD poor benchmark

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/889/asssdl.png

Thank you for your advice

The drive freezes up and then BSOD. After reboot, no drive found. Have to power down the computer then power it up again.

Tried changing cables, tried different SATA-ports, upgraded the firmware on the drive, secure-erased it, re-installed Windows 7, tried with both MS AHCI driver and the latest Intel Rapid Storage, flashed the latest BIOS for my motherboard.

same problem here, have done the same things as this guy

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=97640

Same problem here. SB850 controller. I can't update to Firmware 1.3 (from 1.2).

Edit: How can i switch disk to SATA III? 880G Extreme3 motherboard has only SATA 3 slots and they are enabled in Bios.

Error Message:

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/676/sata2.png

AS SSD poor benchmark

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/889/asssdl.png

Thank you for your advice

- Did you turn on AHCI in the registry?

- Did you turn on AHCI in the bios settings?

- Once both were enabled, did windows install new drivers when you rebooted?

- Did you double check to make sure TRIM is enabled? You definitely want to enable this as garbage collection does not work very well and the drive will slow down drastically compared to a drive running trim / ahci.

Without doing those steps, it will not work.

The SB850 is about the most stable controller there is for SSD drives. Once you get it updated which may really not be required as 1.3 made no changes for me on my sb850 equipped mobo, go into your advanced power management settings, select hard disk and set the turn off time to never. Then go to the pci settings and change that to never as well.

On your benchmark, I cannot remember what they should be on a non compressed data benchmark like that, but it should be higher. If you want to benchmark with what manufacturers use, download Atto that uses compressible data.

It's not really relevent here but since it has been mentioned, Intel SSDs are still having firmware issues too. However, that does not concern us. We're focused on assisting the small number of people that are still having issues with the Force 3 and Force GT drives.

You can add me to the "small number of people". i upgraded to 1.3 and it actually helped.

I couldn't go with out the drive freezing my windows for more than an hour (and sometimes it would even BSOD)

So it all went well for a couple of days. Then i started getting BSOD. I'm getting them at least twice a day, sometimes i will leave and when i comeback the computer is stuck at post because it can't recognize the hard drive properly (not untill i do a full power off instead of a reset)

So... where do we go from here? I like this drive, but i would like it even more if it actually worked all the time.

Same problem here.

In fact, i find pretty funny the "fixes" you can read in some forums, about windows and bios settings or trying another sata cable or power cable. IT'S CLEARLY A PROBLEM IN THE FIRMWARE OF THE SSD. I mean, the whole unit disappear from the pc, from the Bios, and only comes back when you turn off the power and turn on again, what other thing can be but the firmware of the Sandforce controller.

I am using computers for 20 years and this it's the first time i find myself with a problem like this.

I guess you can add me to the list, Got a Force 3 120GB, kept getting intermittent freezes, upgraded firmware, less freezes but still happened and then yesterday a BSOD, first ever since i've install the drive... I put it on the second port and after BSOD, the first drive was missing!.

I guess you can add me to the list, Got a Force 3 120GB, kept getting intermittent freezes, upgraded firmware, less freezes but still happened and then yesterday a BSOD, first ever since i've install the drive... I put it on the second port and after BSOD, the first drive was missing!.

If you need tech support, we need you to fill in your system specifications into the dropdown menu as requested at registration. It's impossible to assist you without this information.

Also, after the firmware update, did you try the other suggestions in the .PDF?

If you need tech support, we need you to fill in your system specifications into the dropdown menu as requested at registration. It's impossible to assist you without this information.

I'm trying to figure out how a clean install of windows 7 is going to help the BIOS to recognize the hard drive...

Oh, I'm not looking for any support really, i just want to voice that i do have the same symptoms that are described by everyone else, after all, if corsair don't know theres a problem, they can't fix it, right? :) I'll just wait for firmware updates, I already know a re-install of the os would have a high chance of fixing the problem but, I really really don't want to do that just yet. Thanks for the reply tho.

My ssd serial number is above the one described to be faulty btw.

Kamus was responding to a reply by Yellowbeard that directly quoted Sewje, and now Chronicity is responding to that.

Chron, he wrote the PDF, so yes, he's aware of what it says, but when people interject directly into other people's troubleshooting (which multiple people are doing), it doesn't help anyone.

Haven't you read the PDF yourself? Step 3 after installing new firmware when problems still exist is to make a clean install of the operating system...

Yeah, I read it as I wrote it. There are steps other than a clean install of the OS listed. And, the statement I quoted that I asked about actually makes no sense at all in the context of this thread. Allow the person to whom I posed the question to clarify his own statement.

The firmware has helped me out... i maybe freeze up once a day now instead of every hour and BSOD... Im also waiting on the next Firmware update as im guessing i wouldnt be able to do anything else except RMA which wont help anything.

Forgot to add that im stuck using the SATA II ports as SATA III will cause too much problems (freezing/BSOD)... its a pity as i did get the GT drive for SATA III and its speed...I am kind of upset at myself for not spending the extra £20 for the **** 510 SSD drive... the extra write speed on the GT made me go for it instead, silly me :P

The firmware update has helped me marginally. My big problem before the update was that my laptop would fail to recognize the drive on reboots. Now it only happens half as often. It was weird, I did a secure erase and installed Windows 7. It worked perfectly for about 10 reboots, then it started messing up again. However, yesterday I got my first BSOD ever since owning the drive....

The firmware update has helped me marginally. My big problem before the update was that my laptop would fail to recognize the drive on reboots. Now it only happens half as often. It was weird, I did a secure erase and installed Windows 7. It worked perfectly for about 10 reboots, then it started messing up again. However, yesterday I got my first BSOD ever since owning the drive....

Yep, this is how it goes pretty much for most people that upgraded. It helped, didn't fix it.

The firmware update solved every single one of my issues on my Force Series 3 60GB in raid 0. I had 1 BSOD and 1 freeze up, that ended in one of the drives dropping out of my array. It also helped my speeds out. Before update I was barely getting 700MB/s write, and 600MB/s read. After the update, I'm right around 900MB/s write, and 875MB/s read. I am using the on board raid controller on my MB, so I'm guessing that's why I'm not hitting the 1GB/s mark, which is just fine with me.

The firmware update solved every single one of my issues on my Force Series 3 60GB in raid 0. I had 1 BSOD and 1 freeze up, that ended in one of the drives dropping out of my array. It also helped my speeds out. Before update I was barely getting 700MB/s write, and 600MB/s read. After the update, I'm right around 900MB/s write, and 875MB/s read. I am using the on board raid controller on my MB, so I'm guessing that's why I'm not hitting the 1GB/s mark, which is just fine with me.

Those are excellent speeds for an AMD controller and appear to be spot on. And, your results are like most that have updated to the 1.3 firmware. It is solving issues for a majority of the people that apply it.

Archived