Corsair Community

Corsair Force Series 3 and Force GT Firmware Update 1.3

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SandForce's fault or not, it's sad to see Corsair destroying their reputation by releasing inferior products... :(

Believe me I'm rather pissed by the situation. I just spent a few hours to clone the Force GT back to a Force... In order to have a stable system... again :(

The red casing makes the GT a nice paperweight.

First off I just want to say that I really liked the speed of the disk and your firmware update solution, very easy and straightforward.

That's what makes me sad that I cant get it to work, my Corsair GT 120gb that is. I got a P8-Z68V PRO, Intel i7, Corsair AX 850W system, if that helps.

And yes I tested the 1.3 firmware and other fixes but I don't have time to spend on this anymore.

Going to go with another disk for now, hoping you guys manage to solve the issue. It would be nice with some kind of update about your progress or anything at all, so we know where we are at.

I'll most likely buy a new GT disk once things start to look brighter, best of luck guys.

First off I just want to say that I really liked the speed of the disk and your firmware update solution, very easy and straightforward.

That's what makes me sad that I cant get it to work, my Corsair GT 120gb that is. I got a P8-Z68V PRO, Intel i7, Corsair AX 850W system, if that helps.

And yes I tested the 1.3 firmware and other fixes but I don't have time to spend on this anymore.

Going to go with another disk for now, hoping you guys manage to solve the issue. It would be nice with some kind of update about your progress or anything at all, so we know where we are at.

I'll most likely buy a new GT disk once things start to look brighter, best of luck guys.

The problem is the SF-2281 controller used by Corsair's new Force 3 and Force GT drives, as well as many other manufacturers, it is unstable with some systems and SandForce is working towards a solution, Corsair waits for update information from them. Make sure if you do buy another SSD that it doesn't use the SF-2281 controller as chances are you will run into the same problems.

The problem is the SF-2281 controller used by Corsair's new Force 3 and Force GT drives, as well as many other manufacturers, it is unstable with some systems and SandForce is working towards a solution, Corsair waits for update information from them. Make sure if you do buy another SSD that it doesn't use the SF-2281 controller as chances are you will run into the same problems.

I do understand the origin of the issue. I mean I understand that Corsair Q&A has to go through SandForce's and that at the end of the day it's all in the hands of SandForce's engineers. Ok.

What I do not understand is the poor communication from Corsair. A firmware being released with no change log and the sole indication that you can install it only if you have issues... Furthermore there's no communication on ETA, etc.

I surely expect better from Corsair.

I do understand the origin of the issue. I mean I understand that Corsair Q&A has to go through SandForce's and that at the end of the day it's all in the hands of SandForce's engineers. Ok.

What I do not understand is the poor communication from Corsair. A firmware being released with no change log and the sole indication that you can install it only if you have issues... Furthermore there's no communication on ETA, etc.

And who do you think is providing the firmware? Corsair or Sandforce? I doubt there is much communication from Sandforce that could legally be shared with the general public.

SandForce are the ones working on the Firmware updates and trying to fix the drives for every manufacturer that uses that controller, all the information Corsair has about the updates comes from them, personally I happen to agree with the employee from another company that this will not be solved with a Firmware update alone.

What ETA are you referring to? If you are referring to ETAs on firmware updates, we do not give those. We do internal qualifications on firmwares before we release them and these do not fit into a given timetable. So, when a firmware is ready, we announce it and post it. Until then, our statement is the same; "we're working on it". We are NOT going to announce a firmware before it's ready then have to retract it or extend a deadline. That serves no purpose and does no person any good.

What ETA are you referring to? If you are referring to ETAs on firmware updates, we do not give those. We do internal qualifications on firmwares before we release them and these do not fit into a given timetable. So, when a firmware is ready, we announce it and post it. Until then, our statement is the same; "we're working on it". We are NOT going to announce a firmware before it's ready then have to retract it or extend a deadline. That serves no purpose and does no person any good.

I can certainly understand your view on this, here is my dilemma from my point of view:

I have bought a force GT3 that has exactly the specs I want, at a very competitive price, but at the moment it unfortunately crashes my computer every other day or so, which is a bit of a nuisance.

So...

Should I "live with it" for a while until there is a more permanent "fix" available?

Should I RMA and hope that the replacement drive behaves better than the one I have?

Should I return the drive, and ask for a refund and buy another brand instead?

Without understanding more about any ETA's that can be expected I find it hard to make a decision on what to do :-(

I was indeed referring to an ETA in regards to firmware updates. "Working on it" is one thing and I can understand your bottom line.

But are you still working on the original Force firmware to fix issues (BSOD when resuming from sleep) ?

Also that doesn't explain why you don't share a simple change log...

I can certainly understand your view on this, here is my dilemma from my point of view:

I have bought a force GT3 that has exactly the specs I want, at a very competitive price, but at the moment it unfortunately crashes my computer every other day or so, which is a bit of a nuisance.

So...

Should I "live with it" for a while until there is a more permanent "fix" available?

Should I RMA and hope that the replacement drive behaves better than the one I have?

Should I return the drive, and ask for a refund and buy another brand instead?

Without understanding more about any ETA's that can be expected I find it hard to make a decision on what to do :-(

Replacing the drive with the same drive probably won't solve anything as it is a compatibility issue between your system and the controller on the drive, this also applies to changing the drive to another manufacturers drive using the exact same controller.

The only real options right now are to keep it and wait for a fix or return it for a refund.

Sandforce makes the firmware updates, not Corsair.

That's funny, I thought I spent over $400 on a Corsair product. Am I mistaken in assuming that Corsair should be responsible to their customers? Didn't Corsair release a firmware update? Then, why can't they release the accompanying change log?

But, lets not quibble... What I want to know is the following...

What is Corsair going to do to correct all of these defective drives?

Personally, I would like Corsair to offer a complete refund so that I can go and purchase a drive that isn't defective!

I purchased the product... I have paid in full... I expect to have a working SSD NOW not some nebulous time in the future.

That's funny, I thought I spent over $400 on a Corsair product. Am I mistaken in assuming that Corsair should be responsible to their customers? Didn't Corsair release a firmware update? Then, why can't they release the accompanying change log?

But, lets not quibble... What I want to know is the following...

What is Corsair going to do to correct all of these defective drives?

Personally, I would like Corsair to offer a complete refund so that I can go and purchase a drive that isn't defective!

I purchased the product... I have paid in full... I expect to have a working SSD NOW not some nebulous time in the future.

There is no current change log available that I can post. When/if there is one, I will post it. The priority at this time is directly assisting customers. Do you actually have a drive with issues that I can assist you with?

Hi guys, so I've grown a brain and finally fixed AHCI mode, etc etc. And I tried to update my Corsair FS GT 120 Gb from 1.2 to 1.3 But I when i do EXACTLY as the .PDF says i just keep getting FATAL Error Code: 00000057

Anyone experiencing this issue aswell?

I'd appreciate a fast answer, ty.

I am having the same issue. AHCI is turned on though BIOS. Did the registry edit thing described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Still get the error message. Using an AMD motherboard. The SSD is my windows drive. I have a laptop with an SATA port, can I try updating using that? Will the Sata cable power the drive or does the drive need a power source still? I don't really know what else to do to update it.

The drive will still need power to operate. An eSATA port alone will not do it.

Indeed, but have you got a fix for the issue with FATAL Error Code: 00000057?

Got a freeze last night, couldn't do anything, had to hold the power button to restart it. I'd really like to update the firmware.

The drive will still need power to operate. An eSATA port alone will not do it.

I suppose I could do a bit of contortion, keep the drive in the comp and just run the sata cable to the esata port on the laptop, that will provide power and allow me to access the drive hopefully to run the firmware update.

Indeed, but have you got a fix for the issue with FATAL Error Code: 00000057?

Got a freeze last night, couldn't do anything, had to hold the power button to restart it. I'd really like to update the firmware.

What controller and controller driver are you using?

Not entirely sure what controller i have, But perhaps Jmicron, running my OS in AHCI mode and i have AMD SATA drivers installed, still haven't updated.

Did you try the MS-AHCI driver for your AMD controller as noted in the ,PDF file? This has helped several users with AMD boards and they were able to update their firmware in this manner.

Did you try the MS-AHCI driver for your AMD controller as noted in the ,PDF file? This has helped several users with AMD boards and they were able to update their firmware in this manner.

I'm not experienced with AHCI so much, so i believe i will have trouble installing another driver to the AHCI, should i just uninstall the current driver then install the MS-AHCI one? In that case, where could this driver be located?

Archived