Corsair Community

Corsair Force Series 3 and Force GT Firmware Update 1.3

Updated my Force 3 120GB drive by placing it in my main PC, updating it there and placing it back in my netbook. Made a backup just to be sure, though update went smoothly.

I'd really like to see a live linux based updater that wouldn't rely strictly on Win7 and AHCI.

Also i've updated from 1.2 to 1.3 even though i had no problems with the drive. Updates are released with a reason, not because developers are bored and they jujst have to make "some" updates. I prefer to keep all my stuff up to date all the time, be it SSD firmware, Windows, graphic card drivers etc etc. So i've updated this as well.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Updated my Force 3 120GB drive by placing it in my main PC, updating it there and placing it back in my netbook. Made a backup just to be sure, though update went smoothly.

I'd really like to see a live linux based updater that wouldn't rely strictly on Win7 and AHCI.

Also i've updated from 1.2 to 1.3 even though i had no problems with the drive. Updates are released with a reason, not because developers are bored and they jujst have to make "some" updates. I prefer to keep all my stuff up to date all the time, be it SSD firmware, Windows, graphic card drivers etc etc. So i've updated this as well.

While usually you'd be right, the problem is that you cannot revert to 1.2 once you flash 1.3. With SSDs it's best to stick with the "if it's not broken don't fix it" policy, which is exactly what Corsair recommends.

I'd say that only applies to critical systems like business devices or company computers where admins usually test "locked" configurations for months before making updates to them. But at home, we usually keep stuff up to date as soon as it comes out.

I have done a benchmark of my SSD in Atto (link:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/ssdbenchmark.jpg/). It seems to me that it doesn't look so good, it looks like the speeds of a sata-II SSD, not for the Corsair Force Series 3 60 GB model that I have; I repeat myself saying that when I upgraded my firmware the performance degraded. I got "only" a BSOD since I've upgraded the firmware yesterday and 2 freezes, but this were at a couple of hours after installing windows, but the SSD after a few seconds restored from those freezes, but still the BSOD remains and it had a code that I serched on google and it was a BSOD caused by a SSD error.What do you think about the results I have obtained in the bench (image in link above). Are those speeds normal for my drive. Thank you in advance.

I have done a benchmark of my SSD in Atto (link:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/ssdbenchmark.jpg/). It seems to me that it doesn't look so good, it seems the speeds of a sata-II, not for the Corsair Force Series 3 60 GB model that I have; I repeat myself saying that when I upgraded my firmware the performance degraded. I got "only" a BSOD since I've upgraded the firmware yesterday an 2 freezes, but this were at a couple of hours after installing windows, but the SSD after a few seconds restored from that freeze, but still the BSOD remains and it had a code that I serched on google and it was a BSOD caused by a SSD error.What do you think about the results I have obtained in the bench (image in link above). Are those speeds normal for my drive. Thank you in advance.

In BIOS under Tools did you enable IO Levelup and set it to SATA6?

Also keep in mind that Marvell cannot deliver the full speed of the drives.

Thank you for this Corsair. I have been having problems with my Force 3 240GB since I got it. Even though you said the problems people were having with the 120GB did not effect the 240GB, I was still having problems. Every couple of days I was having Disk Drive related BSODs and the Force 3 240GB would disappear from the BIOS. Maybe this wasn't the same exact problem as the Force 3 120GB but it had the same symptoms.

Since I have upgraded the firmware to v1.3 on my Force 3 240GB, I have experienced perfect stability. Finally I can enjoy the speed of my Force 3 240GB without the instability issues.

Thank you.

@TheOne687 Yes I have it enabled (IO Levelup and set it to SATA6), and yes I have a Marvell controller; my motherboard is Asus P7P55D-E LX.

Make sure you have the Marvell driver installed, but also keep in mind that Marvell’s controllers are capped and can't exceed 500MB/s.

I've managed to get back my speeds as they were before installing the firmware update 1.3. Now windows loads just like before, never hangs at the loading screen, after a restart but it is curious that I uninstalled the Marvell driver and kept the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19607). I have also disabled System Restore and Automatic Defragmentation from Windows, but the wird thing is that after the firmware update the Marvell driver degrades the performance, so I decided to uninstall it and keep only the Intel driver (mentioned above). I have to say that I am using the Intel driver for my RAID 0 array made from 2 Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3's. Hope this helps you guys; so I have managed to get back to my performances before firmware updating, but still sadly I dunno why the Marvell controller doesn't operate at full speed...

Thank you for this Corsair. I have been having problems with my Force 3 240GB since I got it. Even though you said the problems people were having with the 120GB did not effect the 240GB, I was still having problems. Every couple of days I was having Disk Drive related BSODs and the Force 3 240GB would disappear from the BIOS. Maybe this wasn't the same exact problem as the Force 3 120GB but it had the same symptoms.

Since I have upgraded the firmware to v1.3 on my Force 3 240GB, I have experienced perfect stability. Finally I can enjoy the speed of my Force 3 240GB without the instability issues.

Thank you.

To possibly burst your bubble, I've also got a 240GB and experienced the same problems you had. Trouble is, their frequency was random. Sometimes it would happen with hours of the last, other times it was 7 full days before it happened next.

I updated to v1.3 but my problems have continued. Within 48 hrs of the update, I came home to a 'Boot disk not found' type error as before. So basically what I'm saying is, don't necessarily assume the update fixed your problems simply because you've had a few great days...I've had longer periods of stability than that on the old v1.2 firmware.

I completely agree with you on this. I also have the 240Gb Force 3 drive and did the 1.3 update. The freezes and reboots with no boot disk errors are really completly random for me. I've had days with two or three freezes and other day with none. The problem still seems to be here.

To possibly burst your bubble, I've also got a 240GB and experienced the same problems you had. Trouble is, their frequency was random. Sometimes it would happen with hours of the last, other times it was 7 full days before it happened next.

I updated to v1.3 but my problems have continued. Within 48 hrs of the update, I came home to a 'Boot disk not found' type error as before. So basically what I'm saying is, don't necessarily assume the update fixed your problems simply because you've had a few great days...I've had longer periods of stability than that on the old v1.2 firmware.

I've managed to get back my speeds as they were before installing the firmware update 1.3. Now windows loads just like before, never hangs at the loading screen, after a restart but it is curious that I uninstalled the Marvell driver and kept the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19607). I have also disabled System Restore and Automatic Defragmentation from Windows, but the wird thing is that after the firmware update the Marvell driver degrades the performance, so I decided to uninstall it and keep only the Intel driver (mentioned above). I have to say that I am using the Intel driver for my RAID 0 array made from 2 Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3's. Hope this helps you guys; so I have managed to get back to my performances before firmware updating, but still sadly I dunno why the Marvell controller doesn't operate at full speed...

If you uninstalled the Marvell driver then the controller should be using the default Microsoft driver, as for it's speed, Marvell controllers use a single PCIe 2.0 lane which provides a max speed of 500MB/s instead of the 600MB/s of a true SATAIII port.

Hi guys, so I've grown a brain and finally fixed AHCI mode, etc etc. And I tried to update my Corsair FS GT 120 Gb from 1.2 to 1.3 But I when i do EXACTLY as the .PDF says i just keep getting FATAL Error Code: 00000057

Anyone experiencing this issue aswell?

I'd appreciate a fast answer, ty.

I experienced lockups with the occasional (every 2-3 days) BSOD and no system drive, and flashed with 1.3 a few days ago.

It seemed to be better after the update, but I got another lockup today, followed by a BSOD and the same no system drive after the reboot. :-(

All returns to normal after a powercycle (as before with 1.2).

One difference I have spotted from before though is that with this latest BSOD I did NOT get any eventlog entry from iaStor saying "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period." before the BSOD (and I see no entry of any such record since I upgraded to 1.3)

so potentially this update has made some progress, but it still does not seem stable enough.

I have the latest BIOS, and controller set to AHCI.

One thing I saw in another thread was that enabling hotplug on the controller could help, so I have done that now as well.

I guess I will see in a few days if it makes any difference or not...

Hello folks,

Been following that thread. I've upgraded last week a Force GT 120 GB to 1.3 following stability issues. And I applied the registry fix.

One week later I still experience random BSOD followed by a disappearing drive on reboot.

I have W7 x64 SP1, latest Intel RST and of course the latest BIOS for my mobo. Interestingly enough I use the drive on SATA 3 Gb/s port.

So I guess that update isn't the fix we were waiting for :(

J.

I have used three different motherboards, a Gigabyte X58A-UD5 (marvell SATA III), Gigabyte X58-UD4P (SATA II) and finally a Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H (AMD 850 SB SATA III) and I have had problems with all three using two different Force 3 120's and now my two Force GT 60's.

Impossible. There are no known issues with Corsair SSDs on any platform. Says so in the FAQ. :roll:

One thing I saw in another thread was that enabling hotplug on the controller could help, so I have done that now as well. I guess I will see in a few days if it makes any difference or not...

I'd say that's just more voodoo, like the "try another cable" or "try another port" thing. It's just to keep people busy and make them think that maybe the bugs are "their" fault because they forgot to try something. As if they should have to try anything.

I think it's pretty obvious to any sane person that the issues people are having are caused by one thing: Corsair's SSDs. The only thing a SATA drive should require to work is a SATA connection and power. Tweaking specific settings might make your drive perform better, but should never be a requirement just to make your system stable.

If you want to make a really useful test, instead of changing cables yet again, praying to the God of Undocumented Firmwares, or erasing and reinstalling your OS on the same defective SSD for the 5th time, do this:

Install the OS on a different SATA drive (ex., a Raptor or an Intel SSD). And then see how many freezes and BSOD you get...

I think it's pretty obvious to any sane person that the issues people are having are caused by one thing: Corsair's SSDs. The only thing a SATA drive should require to work is a SATA connection and power. Tweaking specific settings might make your drive perform better, but should never be a requirement just to make your system stable.

If you want to make a really useful test, instead of changing cables yet again, praying to the God of Undocumented Firmwares, or erasing and reinstalling your OS on the same defective SSD for the 5th time, do this:

Install the OS on a different SATA drive (ex., a Raptor or an Intel SSD). And then see how many freezes and BSOD you get...

As much as I know Intel SSD's are in general really reliable I really want these corsair SSD's to work, they are fantastic drives but a little unstable atm. Quite a bit of my system has Corsair components and all of them are top notch, I just hope Corsair can pull through a good fix on this since summer is running out quick... and once the fall starts I won't have time to deal with constant BSOD's, disappearing drives or boot issues :(

"a good fix on this since summer is running out quick... and once the fall starts I won't have time to deal with constant BSOD's, disappearing drives or boot issues "

Good thing Corsair keeps you busy during summer time then ! :o

I believe the issue is most likely on SandForce's hands than on Corsair's... That might be part of the reason why it takes that long to have... a fix.

Archived