Corsair Community

Flashing Firmware to X32 SSD Drive (falsely recognized as YATAPDONG BAREFOOT ROM)

Hi everyone,

I've already sifted through the forum regarding this problem, however I didn't find the info I was looking for. Here goes:

My Corsair X32 SSD (been in use for about a year) failed yesterday, now falsely being recognized as "YATAPDONG BAREFOOT ROM" (137GB), and I'm unable to boot from it. I'm aware that this is probably a problem with the firmware and it needs to be flashed, so I'm about to try this out in a few hours (when I get home from work).

However, I'd like to know if anyone has successfully flashed their SSD firmware after encountering this problem, or if the flashing software simply won't recognize the drive (now that it's "YATAPDONG").

I know that RMA is also an option, but I'd really like to try flashing it myself, hoping I can somehow recover the data.

Also, if the Corsair firmware flasher does not recognize the drive, is it possible to use a different manufacturer's software?

Just a hypothetical question, I know it sounds stupid, and I definitely won't try this if it voids my warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you change the jumper on the back of the drive by any chance? YATAPDONG BAREFOOT is more or less a diagnostic mode set by a jumper.

Nope, just shut down my PC after I was browsing the 'net, changed nothing on my system (hardware or software-wise).

Tried to boot the next morning and was greeted by a "GRUB rescue" prompt.

Took a look into the BIOS and found out that the SSD is now named "YATAPDONG" etc.

No you cannot flash other software, why would you want to anyway?

As I said, I know the question sounds stupid :)

It was just a thought in case the Corsair flash software does not recognize my SSD.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

-kt

Yeah, as I thought Crystal Disk Info recognizes the Drive as YATAPDONG etc., which makes flashing the drive impossible for me.

When I RMA the Drive, should I just refer to my post above ("Ramguy has already helped me on the Support Forums ... ") or should I state the problem again?

And is there a way to wipe the drive before I send it in?

Not to sound overly paranoid, but there is personal data on there...

Thanks for your help.

When the drive is recognized as YATAPDONG it is in a factory flashing mode only I believe so only Corsair can flash it at that point. You certainly can try to use data recovery tools to see if you can get files off of it for backup and then try to perform a secure erase using parted magic. I'm not sure if it will work but you can at least try.

There is no guarantee that your drive will be the one that is returned to you, you may get another, but I think I read somewhere that Corsair always secure erases their drives before they give them back out.

Also you should give the URL to this thread in the RMA ticket you don't have to state it again.

Archived