Corsair Community

Question on Stability of Twinx512-3200LL on Gigabyte 8IK1100

atseng

Tried the RAM in all the slots, actually. I even tried it in single channel config. As a last resort, I had absolutely everything on the board, disabled, set the memory to the most relaxed settings, upped the voltage...XP still bluescreened on every single install attempt. I really thing there's a batch of v1.1 TwinX3200LL Dimms that simply do not work, at all, with 875P chipset boards...and I bought 2 pairs. :D

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pyroteknikon I am beginning to think the same thing. I could not install XP either when I built the PC. I did not get much help from the dealer either. In the end I set the timings to 2-7-3-3 with Ras to Cas at 7 and XP then installed OK. I am now using 2-6-3-3 and that is the best I can get but my PC still does the odd thing occasionally, like drop out of games and go to Desktop. I wish I had baught Kingston memory now as this is what Gigabyte seem to reccommend. It's slower but perhaps that will make it more reliable. RAM GUY has offered to RMA the memory but that will mean that I would be without a PC for at least 10 days which is not on. Regards Chris Thompson

• Corsair Employee
Chris, and any one who has this issue, First off I am truly sorry that you are having trouble and I would be happy to replace any module that is not running up to spec. But This MB GA-8IK1100 is a new model and like many new versions they seem to just need some time for there bios to mature before they are able to run aggressive memory or over clock. That is not unusual and with this chipset especially has been picky at times. But for the Giga Byte MB's I would first make sure that you have the latest bios version available then please load setup defaults and if you have the power modules installed remove it and test with out it. It has been reported by some that it helps. Also you may want to test the modules on another MB if possible it may help to isolate the problem. But honestly for those that are having trouble there are literally thousands that are not having problems. So let’s try to take the issue one at a time a try to get a solution and not try pointing the finger at any one. Start a new thread and post you system configuration and we will be happy to look at it and make suggestions. Not that any one has done that just that forums in general can be confusing as usually only people who are having trouble will come to the forum. And Chris What part of the country are you in? If you are not in the USA and even if you are you might try the reseller to see if they can help you test or replace the memory that may help to know what’s working or not. Ram Guy

RAM GUY I live in the UK I appreciate your comments but I do feel that more guidlines should be given to customers to help them choose the right RAM. Gigabyte in particular have been far from supportive and choose to ignore any correspondence. I am a relative novice in the PC field and now think that perhaps I should not have purchased such "aggressive" memory. I am not a games player but more of a multi-media enthusiast with an interest in digital video and photography which, i guess does not require leading edge RAM technology. Regards Chris Thompson

mjrtoo Thanks for that but I am already running this version. It would not start XP without a +0.1V increase and although the PC then booted up with your advised settings and memory tests performed without a problem the PC was actually behaving odly. Restoring the original timings corrected this behaviour. Regards Chris Thompson

• Corsair Employee
With the Giga Byte MB I would suggest that you set the timings to By SPD and set the Dim Over voltage control to +.2 Volts and you should be fine. Please do not set any of the performance modes in the bios (Auto or Disabled) Ram Guy

RAM GUY Sorry no good. Your advised settings caused windows to fail to load. I also got a .exc error. i think it was bss.exc. selecting safe defaults caused Windows to load but my Blutooth keyboard and mouse would not function. Returning to optimum settings then gave me an error saying that files containing the Registry Data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The whole system then looked up! I have once again returned to optimum settings at 2-6-3-2 timings. I then ran Norton and it found 8 registry errors which it fixed. Something is not right. Chris Thompson

I finally solved the issues that I was having with the motherboard freezing or lock up to the point that only the mouse will work. Sometimes this would have when I first tun on the computer or it may take 10 or more hours before it will freeze up. When I ran the Mem86 50 times with no errors I started to believe that the problem was some where else. Each time the computer will lock up it sometimes switched to the down level backup BIOS. When I changed one of my burnners on the secondary IDE channel I found that the termination of the Secondary IDE cable was wrong. What threw me off was the problem did not occurred until I added the second pair of memory to the system. So the problem had nothing to do with the Corsair memory. By the way the IDE cables I am using are the cool master round steel braided cables. My only grip with Gigabyte is that they are slow in coming out with new BIOS updates at first to get my flash reader/writer to work correctly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
I would try setting the timings manually to Cass 2.5-4-4-8 and see if the system will pass [url]www.memtest86.com.[/url] Also I have both versions of 8KNXP and have tested many of our modules and it would seem that you need the latest beta bios to make the system stable with most of the Giga Byte MB's but I have not been able to over clock as well as some of the other MB's. But I would also have to add that the sample of GA-7NNXP PCB Rev 1.0 Lot # 3A5122C is among the fastest Nforce2 MB's I have tested to date, But there have been a few on some of the forums having trouble with the production version of this MB. I would if you have one of these models suggest that you do a search for Giga-Byte and you will see some of the posts and My responses that may help to answer some of your questions. But it would seem that some of their MB's do not over clock well at all I would start with default or JEDEC settings and work your way up from there. Also testing the modules on another MB may really help to isolate the problem. Then please start a new thread and I will be happy to try to help you. Ram Guy

• 1 month later...
For those of you that do not know the BIOS has now changed to the official F8. I have installed this and reset the CMOS and for the first time the PC booted without any modifications. I have checked the timings and they are now 2.5 Ras to CASS, 6 Ras to CAS delay, 2 RAS precharge and 2 Active precharge. I have been using 2-6-3-2 until now but I will leave the settings as they are now even though the timings would appear to be slower. I have also set the BIOS settings to Top Performance and this seems to work OK. It's early days yet so fingers crossed, we have finally got a Motherboard that operates 'from the box'. I would be interested how the board now performs with 1024 MB installed. Does anyone know? Best regards Chris

Would be interesting if You got a stable System now with the F8-BIOS. The Description of this new BIOS says: Fixed memory PAT mode issue:rolleyes: I´am now waiting for recommended Kingston-Rams for this Board, so i can´t test it. I selled my Corsair-Rams on eBay. The recommended Kingston Rams for this MB have Cas-Latency 3, but what should i do with Cas-Latency 2 Rams if they are causing my System to be unstable. And also they seam to work only with Cas-latency 2,5 , that´s nearby Cas Latency 3!

Maybe now that F8 is out RAM GUY will be able to see how far he can push their products and maintain stability. I nearly sold my RAM but decided to give the guys a chance to sort things out. I have run SANDRA with no problems but at less than 4800 its not really very impressive and the tests did say that it's not doing the 2.8 HT P4 any real justice. Regards Chris

There is still something amiss with the F8 BIOS. I sometimes get a single low frequency beep just prior to the normal beep on start up. I tried setting the BIOS to optimised and this caused the PC to freeze just prior to the desktop being visible. When I restarted the PC it went into Check Disk mode and then the screen went into standby. I shutdown the PC and then restarted and went back into the BIOS and set it back to optimum and then changed the timings to 2-5-2-2 and restarted the PC, this time it started OK. SANDRA is now measuring just under 4900, a slight improvement. One thing I have found which has pleased my 3 year old son is that the new timings have sorted out his Thomas the Tank Engine New Line PC ROM. Before it would just drop out and the PC return to Desktop. I tried it again tonight and it now runs OK. It appears that the game is running from the RAM as the ROM drive hardly runs during the game. I can only assume that before the RAM was not reading the data and causing the game to fall over. Also Renegade no longer locks up as it used to from time to time. I had always blamed the Radeon 7500 for that! Things are looking up at last. Regards Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Check out my post regarding this lousy motherboard: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19247&highlight=overclock+8ik1100[/url] I think it's pretty clear that will all these posts regarding this mobo that Gigabyte has not done their job. For $130 you'd think you'd get a decent overclocking mobo but I as you can see in my sig and post, I can't get my 3.0c it to overlcock past 3.15ghz even while using the Twinx1024-3700PT chips. I am building a pc for my brother using the Asus P4C800E-Deluxe and will stick my new ram in there and see if it fares any better.

I think it's a fine motherboard. I guess I base my review of a motherboard if it meets specifications and how stable it is at those specs. Expecting a board to overclock is really kind of like saying you bought a Focus, and you expected it to run like a Ferrari when you put premium gas in it. Maybe read some reviews about the boards before you buy one, everyone pretty much knows that Gigabyte boards don't overclock well, but are very stable within their specs.

• Corsair Employee
Well I would tend to agree with mjrtoo, but I have seen where they Giga-Byte have encouraged over clocking in the past and now it seems that they do not want to address this. And honestly that’s not unusual as most MB makers do not embrace this aspect of the market. But in general I have no problem replacing any ones memory if they are not able to make their system stable but I have reservations that replacing the modules would really solve the problem. Also If you have Revision 1.1 of our LL modules I would try setting the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and see if that helps and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. For the RMA if you should need it! Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Hiya, Just read this thread...useful info. ;) I'm upgrading my system within the next week. Getting a P4-2.8 proc and the 81k1100 (talked into this board rather than an Asus by the guy at my local shop...starting to wish I hadn't been). What memory would you guys recommend? Was planning on the TwinX1024-3200LLPro... Good idea? Bad idea? Any opinions from people who've been struggling with this mainboard for a while? Thanks much, Pete

I put my old Twinx1024-3200LLPT into a pc I'm building for my brother that has the Asus P4C800E-Deluxe. At completely stock levels (no overlcocking, no turbo, nothing) I was getting an average of right under 5000mb/s on Sandra. Unfortunately for me, running the Twinx1024-3700PT chips in my 8ik1100, I can get around 4900mb/s running oc'd at 210fsb. Can't get any higher than that. I would recommend that you cancel the order on the gigabyte board and order the asus board. Order the Twinx1024-3200LLPro only if you really dig those lights. Otherwise, I don't see the point of spending the extra $75 or so to get them - just get the Twinx10243200LL chips. Oh and this is if you don't plan on overclocking. With a 2.8 I think you can oc is to at least 3.0 without a problem, but then I would suggest the Twins1024-3500 if you can find them.

Archived