Corsair Community

Question on Stability of Twinx512-3200LL on Gigabyte 8IK1100

atseng

• Corsair Employee
cjthom I think the Giga Byte Bios has a performance setting that if set will not allow you to set any of the memroy timings except the Cass Latency please check whats there and if you se any performance settings set them to user defined or manual. And did you set the DRAM Overvoltage to +.2 Volts? atseng I think I would rma the MB for the lan problem or maybe try another opower supply. Or you may want to remove the MB from the case to check for a grounding problem. Also you might check if there is a setting to set the power source for the LAN it may be set to use the +5V standby voltage and setting it to the +5 volt may solve the problem if they have the setting for that. Ram Guy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can change all 4 parameters. its just that it does not give me the option to change the RAS to CAS delay to 3. The voltage was set to +0.2. I have rduced it back to normal again and gone back to 2-7-3-3. any other option causes a low frequency Beep on start up and the PC not to boot. Regards Chris

Cjthom I just type CTRL-F1, go into Advanced Chipset Features, and change "Configure DRAM timing" from SPD to manual. Under that, I have "CAS Latency Time" (Set to 2, but CPU-Z tells me it's at 2.5 when I am in WinXP), Active to Precharge Delay (Set to 6), "DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay" (Set to 3), "DRAM RAS# Precharge" (Set to 2). I am also running it at +.2 volts. I don't think it has a problem even when I am running at +.1 volts. But for some reason, my LAN port is still buggy. Ram Guy, I can't seem to locate a "power source" for LAN on either MB, BIOS setting or th e Power Supply. I am on the 2nd MB already and I think I had the same problem before with the 1st MB. I have also tried flashing the BIOS with F5 BIOS, still no LAN. I have also e-mailed Giga-byte, it's been 1+ week and no response. Aside from the colorful MB, I am beginning to hate the brand/service. Albert

RAM Guy, Isn't it also strange that I can consistently get my LAN port back if I pull out the battery and reset the BIOS? I have also tried several settings on themotherboard and I am basically all out of ideas. When you say "grounding problem" do you mean that the motherboard is "shorted" or that it lacks "grounding"? I had problem with my old motherboards before on this, so I basically put a piece of paper between the MB and the case and also another piece of paper on the screw (like a washer, so it doesn't touch the MB). It's really strange because aside from the LAN port, I can run everything else fine on my computer. Unfortunately, Gigabyte is not really answering to any of their customer service supports.

cjthom Do you also have the 8IK1100 motherboard? Are you getting the LAN port problem that I am getting? Please let me know! I am thinking of getting the motherboard exchanged because of this reason. However, it is quite strange that the port works perfectly if I power down and remove the battery. I do not understand the rationale for that. Albert

I have now realised my problem. My motherboard BIOS reads the timings in the following order: - CAS Latency 2 Active to Precharge 5,6,7,8,9,10 RAS# toCAS# Delay 2,3,4 RAS# Pre-Charge 2,3,4 The adjacent numbers are the options that I can set. This means that I have to set my BIOS timings to 2-6-3-2 based on atseng's settings. I tried this and the PC will Boot, even with the votage set to normal. RAM Guy Are these the settings you would recommend based on the above information. As I reminder I have the 2.8 HT CPU with Twin X 2 x 256 Platinum XMS 3200 Could it be that others are reading the timings in the wrong order or am I just thick? I am after all a 47 year old ludite who has only just got into PC's in the last 2 years. Regards Chris

atseng, I also have the LAN problem, I will try to give them a call as well. Have you found out anything further as of today? I'll let you know what I find out later. (yes, I have the GA-8IK1100 as well)

I called them up and they referred me to go about filing an RMA # (called the Taiwan office, the U.S. office tech support is horrible, never picks up). I tried out Ram Guy's suggestion regarding the grounding, and I think it may have something to do with that, but I am not able to consistently get the LAN port to work without pulling out the Lithium battery and unhooking the power. I have a LianLi PC60 case. I basically screw on the motherboard onto the chasis of the case (which is a pullout). Is there any precaution I should look out for to make sure that my mobo is not shorted and everything works properly? Also, if I can boot up and everything runs fine (but the LAN port), is it possible that it is still shorted? I am so frustrated with resetting the CMOS that I am planning to buy a LAN card this weekend so this problem goes away (tested it out, a pci card works fine - so the problem may lie in the south-bridge?). But it is just a pain when you paid for something that should work fine. Mjrtoo If you unhook the power and remove battery for 10 mins, are you also able to consistently get the LAN port to work first? I also got the updated beta version of the bios f7b? and it works like wonders in terms of memory (2-3-2-6 timing, default voltage for memory). However, the LAN port is still acting weird. I don't have the file here, will upload it later tonight when I get home so people can use it.

I had luck re-installing the drivers for the onboard LAN port, available on the ROM that came with it. I'm running at 2-6-3-2 +.2 and it runs very well. Hopefully we can eventually get the 2-5-2-2 rating! I would be very interested in receiving that new bios version as well.. I would like to thank everyone that has posted their issues and solutions to this mobo. Without you all, my computer would be an expensive boat anchor. THANK YOU!

Just for your information, I am using my Motherboard in a Lian-Li 6085A case and I dont have any problems with earthing or short circuits. With regards to the LAN connection, I originally connected up my Blueyonder cable MODEM to this connection and it seemed to be communicating correctly. The PC Device Manager showed no errors. I could not connect to the Internet or e-mail but I now understand that one has to contact the ISP and give them the LAN MAC Address before it will connect. I installed a Netgear Ethernet card from my old pc and connected the MODEM to this and it works fine. To date I have not contacted my ISP to try to use the built in LAN connection, perhaps I should just in case there is a problem. If I want to network 2 PC's, will I need an Ethernet card and connect the other PC via the LAN connection? Finally, where did you locate the Beta copy of the BIOS? Gigabytes Website is still showing F6 unless it's changed or are you not living in the UK? Did you use @BIOS to upload the new BIOS or did you use a DOS file? Regards Chris

Hmm.. Strange. I uploaded the file yesterday but somehow it didn't work. I will upload it again when I go home tonight. I got the beta file by calling the taiwan tech support, they actually pick up the phone as opposed to the US where you'd get an answering machine. I just went out to buy a lan card to solve this problem. It's annoying, but not annoying enough to get it RMAed. I am also considering getting a Generic Kingston DDR 400 to try it out to see if it is the RAM (being too fast and screws up something...?)

The kingston RAM seems to have sorted out Rednecks problems. I did notice on one of the Gigabytes website pages that Kingston are currently the only approved manufacturer. I was going to change myself but I am going to stick with Corsair until a new BIOS comes out. My PC does seem to OK now that I have sorted the timings out. My PC has done a couple of strange things like change desktop icons to the wrong one but with the correct name and link but I dont think its RAM causing that. I have scanned for viruses and the PC is clean. I only purchased 512 of RAM, I had a budget of £600 to build my new PC (case MB, CPU, RAM) but I want to buy another 512 matched pair to give me some spare as I am regularly using 75% of the current memory. I am going to wait for the new BIOS as I have heard that 4 sticks of RAM can cause even more problems. Perhaps RAM Guy can comment on this. He has gone very quiet recently. Regards Chris

I think I have pretty much figured out what is wrong with my motherboard. After several trial and error (I was installing something in the computer and did not unplug the computer), my keys (screwdriver attached to it) touched the motherboard, and I felt a slight power discharge. The next thing I know when I turn on the computer, the LAN port is working again. Therefore I am sure that it is the improper grounding of the motherboard that is causing all the problems for my LAN port. I think I should install motherboard grounding clips because for some reason, the screw doesn't seemed to be offering proper grounding. Does anyone have suggestions on how to properly ground the motherbaord? I even went as far as to purchase another pair of 2x256 kingston 2.5CL ddr400 value ram to test. And all that did was to make the computer run at a slower speed 2.5-3-3-8. When I pair it with the Corsair, the entire system is running at only 2.5-3-3-8 as expected. Anyway, the short fix is for me to get a $8 10/100 PCI lan card until I figure out how to ground this motherboard. If anyone have any suggestions, please let me know. I have a Lian Li PC60 aluminum case. Thanks for all the help RAM GUY offered. It is by far the best support I have ever received. For all others who uses this board with Corsair XMS memory, the beta bios should fix the problem. It will run the memory at 2-3-2-6 with default voltage. Albert

I cannot understand why you should have a grounding problem. Are you using the metal clips that were supplied with the Lian -Li case? If these are fully pushed into the motherboard drawer and the board secured using the supplied screws to all points on the board, that should be sufficient I take it you are based in the USA. I know your earthing is different to the UK but that should not make a difference. I also note that your PC parts are much cheaper in the States. $8 for an Ethernet card is pretty good. I payed £25 which is over twice the price. I bet your RAM is also much cheaper, and the CPU. Regards Chris

Hi, cjthom or atseng, could you send me a version of the bios beta F7b ? I have also a 8IK1100 MB with the official F6 bios and I have some troubles with the memory in desynchronous mode. I hope this new version will resolve them. Regards, david

Cjthom, Yes, I pushed these fully in (didn't with my first one, and I had problem with the AGP card unseating itself for the AGP slot).... Screws in the screws perfectly. I even tried to ground it using the Case opening indicator.... I am using a 2theMax HEPro II 320W, which I assume should be more than adequate in terms of power supply. The case and the power supply cost me around HK$1100, or US$141. I am currently living in HK. Although I lived primarily in the U.S. for the past 16+years. I much prefer the prices in U.S. because of the rebates. You can get HD's for up to 1/2 of the cost in HK/elsewhere when retailers are running special promos with rebates. For the 512 Twinx3200LL, I paid HK$1250 or US$160, about $5-10 more than U.S. For the 2x256 Kingston DDR400 CL2.5, I paid HK$670, or US$86. I am a bit bummed out about the port not working, but considering the $8 lan card cures the problem, it's not bad at all. Albert

This thread seems to have gone cold but I notice that the Beta BIOS has had 33 hits! I was not going to install this now that my MB seemed happy at 2-6-3-2 but tonight my PC started doing a strange thing. My wife is into playing Command and Conquer Renegade. This does not seem to be a very PC taxing game but tonight the PC started to give out random low frequency beeps while she was playing this game. The beeps are lower frquency than the normal successful system boot beep. The beeps were intermittent and followed no particular patern so I am lost as to what it may be.They ceased when the game was halted. Anyway I have now installed the Beta BIOS and set the settings to Top Performance and the PC booted OK. Interestingly the RAM timings have defaulted to 2-6-3-2 or is this because I have not cleared the CMOS? I am now going to get the wife to run the game again and see (hear) what happens. Has anyone else experienced these type of random beeps? Regards Chris

Indeed, I would get those beeps before the beta release by running Sandra motherboard tests.... after I installed betaF7 that all went away. I was also experiencing crashes with USB devices with BIOS 6, not with Beta7 though.

[QUOTE]Indeed, I would get those beeps before the beta release by running Sandra motherboard tests...[/QUOTE] I get the beeps in Sandra by running the Mainboard Information module. I also got them on a SIS 735 and i440BX mobo before my 8IK1100. It mainly happens if something in the system is overvolted or overclocked.

I'm having USB problems again. It was fine for a while with the beta 7 BIOS. The light on my USB storage device sorta flickers every second or so, then if you try to remove the device from the port, it crashes the computer. The BIOS is set to 'optimal mode'. Any ideas?

Archived