Corsair Community

Question on Stability of Twinx512-3200LL on Gigabyte 8IK1100

atseng

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the same problem you had when I upgraded the bios from the F7c beta. To fix this go back to the BIOS setup, go to the QFLASH menu and on the top it may say boot from the backup BIOS and further down it should say boot from the main BIOS Then you save the setting by select save to CMOS while you are still in the QFLASH menu. Reboot the computer go back to the BIOS setup and select optimized setting and redo any changes like boot order for example. Then press control F1 to get to extra timing menu and toggle btween manual and SPD? aand then 2.5 should show up under CAS Latency time and then press F10 to save and go from there. In my setup it now says CAS Latency time 2.5 Active to precharge 8 DRAM RAS# to CAS delay 3 DRAM RAS# precharge 3 Refresh mode 7.8us I did find find the official F7 BIOS release still have the new timing tweak from the beta BIOS for my flash card reader since the flash card reader will not work with the F6 BIOS

John5757 Thanks for that, I decided to clear the CMOS by removing the battery and then use QFLASH to reload F7 as the main BIOS from Floppy. I then set the timings back to 2-6-3-2 and all is well again. I am finally starting to think that the 81K1100 does not like the Twin X 512 3200LL devices. It looks like I am stuck with the above timings if I dont want to end up with permanent heart failure! Regards Chris

mjrtoo DDR1 and DDR4 DIMM voltage is set at Default. I have not tried to up the voltage with F7 but it made little difference with the supplied F6 BIOS. What kind of speeds do you get with your RAM timings and voltage? Regards Chris

cjthom My problem with this board started when I added the second pair, four sticks of Twin X 512 3200LL is when stability ( random freezes) became a issue with me. To be fair I have heard that some 875 boards do have issues running with 4 memory sticks in dual channel mode. In the meantime I going to keep the CAS Latency timing set at 2.5 and get a baseline feel how it runs now. Then maybe I will bump the active to precharge timing down a little. I brought this motherboard for the 800mHz FB for my video and photo work. There is a lot of overhead doing video editing work and the computer has to run for long periods of time processing files sometimes even while I am sleeping so stability is very important and I do not care to squeeze every bit of performance if I am going to lose stabilty. So far I have not run into any problems with the CAS Latency timing set at 2.5 but it will take a few days to make sure. I am glad that things worked out for you and you were able to get your computer back online. The gigabyte fail-safe backup BIOS worked in your case! I read too many reviews think that having a back BIOS is a useless feature but it help you in this case. SO far the new memory timing at 2.5 is continuing to work and I am being to smile! Take care

Just thought I would mention that last night I finally got around to flashing my board (8IK1100) with the F7 Bios - I obviously have the 1Gig TWINX-3200LL RAM. After flashing it the settings defaulted to 2.5,2,3,6 i believe (from memory) with no additional DIMM voltage required. I gave this a go in memtest and everything worked fine so I decided to test just how good this bios is. I manually set the timings to 2,2,2,5 again with no additional DIMM voltage required and rebooted into memtest. This time I only decided to run memtest for about 30 minutes (with no errors) before booting into windows to make sure everything was fine there. Whilst there I ran through SiSofts burn in test and 3DMark '01 and 03 without any problems. Finally for complete peace of mind I went back and ran through all the memtest's for 10 loops (overnight which took over 6 hours!) and was very happy to find no errors this morning. So I am VERY happy to be running at 2,2,2,5 with no additional DIMM voltage required. Thanks very much Corsair - very impressed with your product!

• Corsair Employee
2.8 Volts Max, But I would try +.01 volts first. The modules have voltage regulators in the IC's and this will make little difference to the memory but it does help the chipset as it shares the same power source. Ram Guy

It is posted at Giga-bytes site. For the GA-8IK1100 board. Seems they have cured any type of Corsair vs. Gigabyte conflict. At least for the TWINX ram. Thanks, this is definatly the fastest RAM I've ever dealt with, and the geeks at work too...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]2.8 Volts Max, But I would try +.01 volts first. The modules have voltage regulators in the IC's and this will make little difference to the memory but it does help the chipset as it shares the same power source. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] Can you tell me what IC's the 1024Mb TWINX3200LL V1.2 memory modules use? I am interested in looking up the data sheet on it. I dont really want to remove the heatspreader to have a look at the IC part numbers.

I just set my BIOS to 2-2-2-5 at the default DIMM voltage and restarted the PC. The PC just restarted again and got as far as the DMI pool check and then stopped. I restarted the PC and increades the DIMM voltage to +0.1 and restarted and this time it worked OK. The timings using SANDRA are still only around 4632 MB/Sec. I went back into BIOS and set this for optimum settings and then again set the timings to 2-2-2-5 but with +0.2V and again the PC started OK. Running SANDRA again gave a slightly lower figure!. Very strange. I am using XP Home with a Radion 7500 graphics card. What OS are you guys using? Regards Chris Thompson

I have gone back to the old timings again! Started having problems at Desktop start up. Bluetooth Intellipoint crashed then Norton started playing up. The wifes games started running slower than before. Resetting the timings cleared all of the problems but the timings have dropped by 100 MB/second again. I cannot find any arrors when using SANDRA or Windows RAM tests but something is going on. I give up! Chris Thompson

Hello, I got a 8IK1100 2 month ago, it work fine .. but last week I get an error with my lan : "unplugged lan cable" on win XP... It come after the update to the f7 bios... I go back to the f6 bios and I have always the error... Have you any idea to solve the error ?

• 2 weeks later...
I've got 2 pairs of TwinX512-3200-LL rev1.1 Neither of them work in my GA-8IK1100, with any of the suggested memory/voltage settings. XP will not install. They don't work in ANY of my 3 different 875P boards, in any configuration, with any combination of BIOS/Chipset Drivers. They DO work in my older 845PE IT7-Max2 v2 board. Put 2 unmatched XMS3500 sticks in my GA-8IK1100 and XP installed without a glitch. memtest86 runs without any errors on both pairs.

Archived