Corsair Community

Question on Stability of Twinx512-3200LL on Gigabyte 8IK1100

atseng

Does any one know how near Gigabyte are to bringing out the official Ver.7.0 BIOS? My PC is still doing some strange things with the Beta version. The PC regularly drops out of my childrens CDROM games and returns to Desktop but I am not sure whether this is BIOS, RAM or something else. Regards Chris

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE]Does any one know how near Gigabyte are to bringing out the official Ver.7.0 BIOS?[/QUOTE] I must pose the same question. I contacted US tech support, went through that Taiwan tech support form and also contacted Taiwan sales, so far none bothered to reply :(

DO NOT USE THIS BIOS It has totally killed my PC! Luckily I had F6 on a Floppy and then ran the Q Flash utility to restore the BIOS and get the PC to start. If anyone has got this BIOS to work then I apologise to Andy and others but something is not quite right Chris

I have had a chance to calm down now. There is no worse a feeling when you watch a new BIOS upload and then watch the PC restart and restart and restart.... After installing F6 again the PC would boot OK but I had to slow the timings as before. Windows XP booted and warned me that it had recovered from a serious problem and pointed me towrds a web page that informed me that there had been a RAM (corruption) problem and advised me to download Windows RAM Diagnosis. I reinstalled the Beta b revision (not c) and then ran the RAM diagnostics and the corsair RAM passed all of the tests. As I said before there is something amiss with rev c. I just hope there are not loads of people out there now with dead PC's. Andy Does your PC run OK on c revision? if so what RAM are you running and at what timings? Sorry if I gave the impression that I was pointing a finger at you, it was a sudden reaction after seeing my PC stop working, followed by panic. I blame Gigabyte at the end of the day for not developing the BIOS before putting a new product on the market and then worst of all leaving their customers to sort out their own problems. I have e-mailed them 3 times now and have never had a reply...disgusting. Chris

I have two 512 XMS3500 sticks running in dual channel at 333 (2-2-2 6) right now, together with a 2.4B that I plan on swapping for a 2.4C next week. The F7C bios hasn't screwed my PC, everything seems to be fine for the moment and will do further testing at 400 when I get the new CPU. I received this beta bios only after contacting Taiwan sales, prior to that having mailed US tech support and went through Taiwan tech support's form.

Atseng Hi I have just got around to transfering my Cable MODEM to the 81K100 LAN connection and it works fine. I am not sure if you have fixed your problem but I did the following. Run cmd type ipconfig/all This identified the MAC address which is identified under Physical Address. I then went onto my cable companies Web page and went onto the MAC Admin page which was found by going into the "self Help" page. Here I was able to register the Gigabyte MAC address. This then allowed me to use either IP address. I went into system management to ensure that the Gigabyte LAN was enabled. Finally I went back into RUN, cmd and entered ipconfig/release and this cleared the current address. I then powered off and waited a couple of minutes before transferring the LAN connection from the Ethernet card to the Gigabyte LAN connection. I powered up the cable MODEM and waited for all of the LED's to illuminate and then powered up the PC. Once I was in DESKTOP I opened up my browser and Hey presto! I had a connection to the Internet. Forgive me if you know this procedure but I thought it may help you to get your connection working and in the process, free up a PCI slot. Regards Chris Thompson

Welcome back RAM GUY, where you been? Is this why my PC would not start with BETA rev.f7c? I seem to remember that the Rass to Cass default was 2. My PC just kept restarting over and over again. I have gone back to f7b. It's about time Gigabyte got this sorted. How are other manufacturers fairing with your hi speed matched devices? Regards Chris

You should be able to run you ram at CAS 2, 3, 2, 5. It is what I run mine at with the F7b BIOS 24/7 with no stability problems. Can not get it to 2, 2, 2, 5 though. Won't even boot. I'm going to try the F7c BIOS to see what's up with that one. I'll keep the backup the F7b BIOS for a recovery if needed.

I was just about to buy this combination, ie. GA-8IK1100 and TWINX512-3200LL, but after reading this thread I'm now not so sure. Should I look at another motherboard/RAM combination? or does the new BIOS seem to be solving the problems? Does the memory run as fast as it is supposed to on this board? Cheers...

Hi Piddyful, It's interesting to see that you are using 3500 RAM that I believe has been fully tested with the the new 875 chipset. I am using 3200LL Twin X 512 RAM and I am beginning to think that I chose the wrong RAM and should have waited longer than I did and bought the 3500 instead for my 2.8C. My PC will get to the windows screen but as it nearly gets to the desktop users screen the PC restarts. I have not tried to reload f7c at reduced timings as I am concerned it may still cause the same problem. I dont really want to keep flashing the BIOS too often for fear of premature failure. Regards Chris

I think I've read somewhere that the ram you have doesn't even have a CAS 2.5 setting, is this true? That would definetly narrow your options for getting a stable running system. When I ran the stock BIOS, I had to run mine at CAS 2.5 for some time when I first got my this motherboard. I've been able to run CAS 2 since the first beta BIOS though.

No it does not have a CAS 2.5 setting, only 2. I am not too happy at the moment as support from Gigabyte is non existant. I could have purchased much cheaper RAM and probably got similar results. If the problems are not sorted out soon I am taking the RAM back as not being fit for the purpose. When one pays £117 for a motherboard and £133 for the RAM one expects it to perform flawlessly. It's becoming more and more common for manufacturers to launch products with insufficient R&D and just let the public find the problems and then try to resolve the problems afterwards! Regards Chris

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Andy When you go to a 800 FSB CPU I would suggest that you relax the timings a bit to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" but you should be fine. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] I just got the 2.4C as of a couple of hours ago. You're right, at 400 MHz 2-2-2 6 it doesn't pass memtest x86. In 2-3-2 6 it seems ok and WOW ! around 4800 in Sandra compared to 3400 with the B and memory at 333. I didn't reinstall the OS yet, it just detected the CPU installed the drivers and rebooted. I'll play some games tonight and probably reinstall the OS tomorrow. For the moment everything seems to run fine (knocks on wood :D ). P.S: using the F7C bios

Check what version of the TwinX512-3200LL you're running. If its v1.2, it can't run at 2-2-2-6, but only at 2-3-2-6 The v1.2 uses the Winbond rev-C chips, which cant run 2-2-2-6. Corsair cant help that as production on the older version running 2-2-2-6 has stopped and stocks are low, if not gone.

Despite only buying my RAM on the 18th May, the revision of the RAM is 1.1 and is marked 2-2-2-6. Why did Corsair stop production of this version? Would I be advised to return it or cherish it? Regards Chris

Archived