Corsair Community

Question on Stability of Twinx512-3200LL on Gigabyte 8IK1100

atseng

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, my thanks to Ritchierich for the F7c BIOS. Now, I am running this BIOS at 2,2,5,2 with +.2 DRAM overvoltage. It receives no errors with MEMTEST 3.0 and also receives these scores on Sandra. (No CPU overvoltage) Memory Bandwidth: 4825 Int Buff 4818 Float Buff I'm running a P4 2.8GHz Canterwood with these Sandra results. CPU benchmark Dhrystone ALU 8751 MIPS Whetstone FRU/iSSeu 2442/5450 MFLOPS Using a Powercolor Evil Comando 2 Gold. Works great! (128 MB Radeon 9700)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cjthom [/i] [B]Despite only buying my RAM on the 18th May, the revision of the RAM is 1.1 and is marked 2-2-2-6. Why did Corsair stop production of this version? Would I be advised to return it or cherish it? Regards Chris [/B][/QUOTE] Stocks of the memory chips from Winbond are dwindling, as they aren't making that particular revision of memory chips any more. Corsair can't make any more v1.1 if they dont have stock of the required memory chips.

Glad to here the bios worked. Have you tried enabling "Top Performance" yet?, it squeezes that last drop of performance out of the chipset and memory. Try your bench marks again, see what difference it makes. Glad to of helped with the bios. :rolleyes:

Bench Marks for you. System 3.0GHz P4 HT enabled. 1GB TwinX 3200 LLPT.Set to 2,2,2,5 7.8 Top performance Enabled. [b]PCmark2002[/b] CPU 7434 Memory 9961 HDD 2557 [b]Aida32[/b] Memory test Read 5132 MB/s Write 1828 MB/s [b]Sisoftware Sandra[/b] Memory bandwidth. Int buff iSSE2 4866 MB/s Float buff iSSE2 4846 MB/s

I'm am using Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 and Corsair TWINX254-3200LLPT. The first pair of these memory chips in dual mode worked fine but I added the second pair to get 1g of memory the computer became unstable with random freezes even with a +.1 voltage increase. I use the auto default timing settings and the setting are slower than what users here are using. I am using the 3gHz P4 with the 800FSB and I was under the inpression that it would be ideal for video editing work since decoding and recoding takes a lot of computer time sometimes all night just to get a few mins of high quality video. I reduce this problem by using the F7B beta BIOS since I can not seem to get the F7C BIOS. The F7B made a big difference in stability in my USB devices like my multi internal flash and microdrive card reader for my digital photo work. Gigabyte needs to get new released versions of BIOS out so that I would not get stuck on this bleeding edge of technology so that I can get some work done. On the other hand the other motherboard that I was looking at is the ASUS P4C800 and I also read in the fourms that it also have issues working with a second pair of Corsair memory. The abilty to adjust timing and some voltages seems to be a concept that does not work well with the stability of the system as a whole. I also tried to adjust the voltage of the CPU by the smallest of steps and stability of the system became worst. By the same token I can not adjust the timing of the memory chips without screwing up the stability of the USB devices. Of course the computer boots just fine to the destop when making these adjustments. The giabyte 8IK110 has six memory slots but I am having issues in getting two pairs of memory,four slots to work reliability. :sigh!:

Thanks for your reply on trying to get the LAN port to work. I have tried updating the bios (currently using f7c now), updating drivers (lan & chipset), and the port is still acting weird. I think I have a defective motherboard. It's annoying, but just too minor to send it in for RMA and stuck w/no computer for a few weeks. Currently running the following: 8ik1100 Twinx512-3200LL (not sure of the version) 2-3-2-6 HIS Radeon 9500 PRO p4 2.4c (no overclock) getting the folowing Sandra: Int 4790 mb float 4796 mb I guess overall, I am happy with the system. Just wish they come out with a new bios and hopefully that will fix my LAN port. Albert [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cjthom [/i] [B]This thread seems to have gone cold but I notice that the Beta BIOS has had 33 hits! I was not going to install this now that my MB seemed happy at 2-6-3-2 but tonight my PC started doing a strange thing. My wife is into playing Command and Conquer Renegade. This does not seem to be a very PC taxing game but tonight the PC started to give out random low frequency beeps while she was playing this game. The beeps are lower frquency than the normal successful system boot beep. The beeps were intermittent and followed no particular patern so I am lost as to what it may be.They ceased when the game was halted. Anyway I have now installed the Beta BIOS and set the settings to Top Performance and the PC booted OK. Interestingly the RAM timings have defaulted to 2-6-3-2 or is this because I have not cleared the CMOS? I am now going to get the wife to run the game again and see (hear) what happens. Has anyone else experienced these type of random beeps? Regards Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

I install the F7C BIOS and reload the optimized setting. Sometimes you have to do this to make sure that the new setting are in effect. I noticed that on F7B I had to reload the setting to get the timings in order. Also the F7B changed something on the parallel port which required me to change the mode in order to get the parallel printer to work again. On the F7C I was able to use the old setting for the parallel port for the printer. On both F7B and the F7C BIOS the stabilty

stability of the USB devices for the flash photo cards is much better. It appears that a slight increase of the memory voltage may still be needed. I then found a few issues with the status monitor for the Epson 2200 USB printer that I cleared up. I move all the setting to baseline zero and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
F7 BIOS has finally been issued on Gigabyte Website. I have flashed the BIOS and noted that timings are 2-2.5-2-6. My PC will not run at these timings and still have to use 2-3-2-6 to get XP to run. Sandra is giving speeds of 4546 MB/S, nothing to write home about. Chris Thompson

What timings were you using on the F7 BIOS? Did it fail to start every time or did it reboot without warning? Maybe now that F7 is out Corsair can do some tests on the 81K1100 using twin X 512 3200LL at various timings. Regards Chris Thompson

• Corsair Employee
Chris You might try Cass 2.5-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass Set To "3" And I would test the modules one at a time. And if you like we can try replaciong the modules for you. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmicro.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmicro.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

Archived