Corsair Community

P128 Power supply question

Hi

I know this might seem like a daft question, but bear with me and you'll see why I'm asking it.

I've just added a P128 SSD to my system but as yet haven't powered it up as I want to make doubly sure that I can definitely connect it with a standard desktop SATA power supply plug, that is going to supply both 12v and 5v as they all do.

I've asked others and seen it on the net that these drives do just connect up to the standard SATA plug, but as the last time I connected a 2.5" SATA drive up to my desktop machine on the normal SATA power plug, it fried instantly the moment I pressed the 'on' button to power the machine up. That was only a 40gb 5400rpm drive ( it came from inside a Canon USB external drive) - annoying, but could have been far worse, but as I really cannot afford to waste over £250, I really want to hear it 'straight from the horse's mouth' so to speak, that I can connect this drive to a standard desktop computer's SATA power supply plug, and that is going to be OK and there is going to be no risk of a burnt-out drive.

The PSU I'm using is a new Be Quiet! Dark Power pro 850w modular.

Until I get confirmation of this I'm not going to power this machine up, so please, let me know asap? I also saw mention on another forum where another guy also tried a 2.5" SATA drive in his desktop machine and his got smoked when he connected it to the standard SATA connector plug - I have to say knowing that there is 12v in that power plug worries me a lot, as for me at least, these drives are so horribly expensive - I could not afford to replace it if it dies...

I saw a comment from one guy on another site who said he was using a molex-SATA adapter cable and had cut the yellow cable so that teh 12v power couldn't get to teh drive- I have to admit after my last experience I'm serioulsy thinking about this method, so please if you could set my mind at rest I'd appreciate it.

Best Rgds

Davey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#Power_supply

The power connection is also part of the protocol, and even though there are different SATA connections, all are shaped differently. In short, if it fits, it's the right one.

I'd wager a guess that if a drive blew up that they may have been using a molex to SATA converter for the power, and it had a fault somewhere.

Thanks guys, I am offically reassured now, so now I can get on with building this system peace of mind.

Incidentally, the last 2.5" SATA was connected using a molex-SATA adapter,

just like you said, whereas this time the SSD will be connecterd using one of the PSU's own SATA power connectors.

Thanks again

Davey

Archived