Corsair Community

Fan hubs for 7000d airflow

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hi sorry if formatting is weird typing on my phone.

I have recently purchased both a 7000d airflow and a H170i aio. I want to use all of the available fan space for 12 fans total with with the front and side running 4 120 ml fans each on intake and the aio and single140ml on the back as exhaust. I am aiming to have full control of the fans and there rgb, but am confused about what kind of fan hubs I need to get full use from them. some videos I have watched say not to mix case fans with the aio hub well others say not to mix 120 and 140 ml fans on the same hub. would 1 extra commander core and an rgb hub work to get everthing running ?

• Solution

CUE does not differentiate 120 and 140mm fans for RGB purposes.  Each fan model has the same number of LEDs and geometry for it's respective 120/140mm sizes.  You can put them in any order.

The H170i Elite Capellix will come with a Commander Core controller.  This is PWM and RGB for 6 fans - direct connections for each.  You then have a choice to make.

1) Commander XT path -> this is the sibling controller to the Commander Core and looks the same, minus the AIO pump power controls.  It will be another 6 PWM and 6 RGB ports, which should cover the rest.  Individual fan RGB/LED control and individual fan speed control.  Both controllers are the newer type that can differentiate fan LED counts allowing mixing of fans.  However, based on what's you've listed you likely are using a combination of ML-Elite, AF-Elite, or SP-Elite fans which all have 8 center hub LEDs and are identical for programming and color HUE.  No special adaptations needed and all go under the "8 LED fan series" banner.  For most users, this is the best path.

2) Lighting Node Core + PWM repeater option -> If you have special case lighting or control requirements where you specifically want things to act as groups of 4 or some other combination that does not fit the 6+6 model, you can set this up with just the Commander Core as the central fan speed controller plus 1-2 powered PWM hubs to effectively act as a powered splitter for a specific bank of fans.  I usually do my custom water cooling loops this way out of preference and also because I have heaps of older controllers to do the job for lighting and other RGB devices.  You then make sure you get a twin 140 or triple 120mm pack or two to get 2 Lighting Node Core devices.  This is RGB control for remaining fans.  This way requires more devices, more USB connections, and more SATA connections for power.  You only do it this way if there is a compelling reason to structure it like that or you already have all these parts and don't want to spend $50 on a Commander XT.  It is not likely to be cheaper if you have to buy parts and 140mm fans have a weird price matrix for the twin pack vs the triple 120s when compared to singles.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

CUE does not differentiate 120 and 140mm fans for RGB purposes.  Each fan model has the same number of LEDs and geometry for it's respective 120/140mm sizes.  You can put them in any order.

The H170i Elite Capellix will come with a Commander Core controller.  This is PWM and RGB for 6 fans - direct connections for each.  You then have a choice to make.

1) Commander XT path -> this is the sibling controller to the Commander Core and looks the same, minus the AIO pump power controls.  It will be another 6 PWM and 6 RGB ports, which should cover the rest.  Individual fan RGB/LED control and individual fan speed control.  Both controllers are the newer type that can differentiate fan LED counts allowing mixing of fans.  However, based on what's you've listed you likely are using a combination of ML-Elite, AF-Elite, or SP-Elite fans which all have 8 center hub LEDs and are identical for programming and color HUE.  No special adaptations needed and all go under the "8 LED fan series" banner.  For most users, this is the best path.

2) Lighting Node Core + PWM repeater option -> If you have special case lighting or control requirements where you specifically want things to act as groups of 4 or some other combination that does not fit the 6+6 model, you can set this up with just the Commander Core as the central fan speed controller plus 1-2 powered PWM hubs to effectively act as a powered splitter for a specific bank of fans.  I usually do my custom water cooling loops this way out of preference and also because I have heaps of older controllers to do the job for lighting and other RGB devices.  You then make sure you get a twin 140 or triple 120mm pack or two to get 2 Lighting Node Core devices.  This is RGB control for remaining fans.  This way requires more devices, more USB connections, and more SATA connections for power.  You only do it this way if there is a compelling reason to structure it like that or you already have all these parts and don't want to spend $50 on a Commander XT.  It is not likely to be cheaper if you have to buy parts and 140mm fans have a weird price matrix for the twin pack vs the triple 120s when compared to singles.  

thank you so much for the detailed explanation makes understanding what I need much easier, just to clarify one thing though using the aio included hub for both the aio and the case fans won't have any issues at all ? it makes sense that it would work but I'm just a bit paranoid about making a mistake.

2 hours ago, swansong said:

using the aio included hub for both the aio and the case fans won't have any issues at all ?

No, it was designed for that express purpose.  Most AIOs use an onboard fan controller for the radiator fan speed.  With the Platinum AIO model, Corsair stuck a RGB controller in there too as things were then moving that direction.  However, it complicated some of the sensor functions and was possible too much to cram into the tight space.  Using an external PWM/RGB controller solved that issue and also opened the way to more unified fan/lighting integration.  The Commander Core is a fully operational 6 fan PWM/RGB controller.  If you tossed the AIO out the window, you could still use the Commander Core for its fan/rgb duties.  However, it is required to power the AIO and has a special cable for that purpose.  PSU -> SATA -> Commander Core -> CPU Block-Pump.  

The Commander XT is the retail version of the Commander Core.  It drops the unnecessary AIO functions and gets a USB passthrough, LED port, and 2 temp sensors instead.  This is what you buy when you want a combination PWM/RGB controller.  It just happens you get one in the AIO Elite Capellix kit too and you need two.  

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

No, it was designed for that express purpose.  Most AIOs use an onboard fan controller for the radiator fan speed.  With the Platinum AIO model, Corsair stuck a RGB controller in there too as things were then moving that direction.  However, it complicated some of the sensor functions and was possible too much to cram into the tight space.  Using an external PWM/RGB controller solved that issue and also opened the way to more unified fan/lighting integration.  The Commander Core is a fully operational 6 fan PWM/RGB controller.  If you tossed the AIO out the window, you could still use the Commander Core for its fan/rgb duties.  However, it is required to power the AIO and has a special cable for that purpose.  PSU -> SATA -> Commander Core -> CPU Block-Pump.  

The Commander XT is the retail version of the Commander Core.  It drops the unnecessary AIO functions and gets a USB passthrough, LED port, and 2 temp sensors instead.  This is what you buy when you want a combination PWM/RGB controller.  It just happens you get one in the AIO Elite Capellix kit too and you need two.  

thank you so much for all the help.