Corsair Community

I have a Commander Core XT.

I have all my fans connected to it.

I have a fan curve that that uses 0 RMP mode for all said fans.

When I lock my system my fans stop even if the CPU is under full load.

Either iCue needs to be able to control the fans even with no user logged based on last cooling profile or a way to set a hardware profile needs to be made.

hardware profiles work, but only with thermal sensors directly attached to the controller.

If you use a software sensor (CPU temp for example), icue loses it when you lock, or the controler loses it when iCUE crashes.

If you can place a sensor on your cooler fins for example, connected to the controller, you can have that control your fan curve and have it work even without iCUE.

I'm a bit surprised it would stop even if the software fan profile is set to a source that must be obtained from the motherboard.  Usually it will carry on at the last known speed.  Can you share the software fan curve you are using?

12 hours ago, LeDoyen said:

hardware profiles work, but only with thermal sensors directly attached to the controller.

If you use a software sensor (CPU temp for example), icue loses it when you lock, or the controler loses it when iCUE crashes.

If you can place a sensor on your cooler fins for example, connected to the controller, you can have that control your fan curve and have it work even without iCUE.

I mean exactly that. I want the fan curve to be based off of CPU and GPU but have it switch to off there thermal probes or to just a different static curve when it losses iCue contact. but this is not possible.

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

I'm a bit surprised it would stop even if the software fan profile is set to a source that must be obtained from the motherboard.  Usually it will carry on at the last known speed.  Can you share the software fan curve you are using?

<value0>
                                                    <enabled>true</enabled>
                                                    <temperature>55</temperature>
                                                    <rpmPercents>0</rpmPercents>
                                                </value0>
                                                <value1>
                                                    <enabled>true</enabled>
                                                    <temperature>56</temperature>
                                                    <rpmPercents>20</rpmPercents>
                                                </value1>
                                                <value2>
                                                    <enabled>true</enabled>
                                                    <temperature>65</temperature>
                                                    <rpmPercents>20</rpmPercents>
                                                </value2>
                                                <value3>
                                                    <enabled>true</enabled>
                                                    <temperature>70</temperature>
                                                    <rpmPercents>30</rpmPercents>
                                                </value3>
                                                <value4>
                                                    <enabled>true</enabled>
                                                    <temperature>75</temperature>
                                                    <rpmPercents>50</rpmPercents>
                                                </value4>
                                                <value5>
                                                    <enabled>true</enabled>
                                                    <temperature>80</temperature>
                                                    <rpmPercents>75</rpmPercents>
                                                </value5>
                                                <value6>
                                                    <enabled>true</enabled>
                                                    <temperature>85</temperature>
                                                    <rpmPercents>100</rpmPercents>
                                                </value6>

Ripped right from the cooling profile. Have one for CPU and GPU both the same curve just different sensors.

Based on that scale, I am assuming you are using CPU temperature as the control variable and it looks like there is a 0% value at the start of the curve.  Possible when it can't get the sensor data it returns a null value which is interpreted as belonging at the left end of the scale, but that's an educated guess.  

If you are not running an CPU air cooler from the Commander XT, we can probably find a better control variable than CPU temp.  CPU temp has little bearing on case ambient temperature.  If you are running a CPU air cooler, my preference for that is to put on the MB CPU fan header.  This guarantees safety and even large box style coolers can't go for more than a few seconds without active cooling before the heat builds up and starts conducting the other way across the cold plate.  

Edited by c-attack

50 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Based on that scale, I am assuming you are using CPU temperature as the control variable and it looks like there is a 0% value at the start of the curve.  Possible when it can't get the sensor data it returns a null value which is interpreted as belonging at the left end of the scale, but that's an educated guess.  

If you are not running an CPU air cooler from the Commander XT, we can probably find a better control variable than CPU temp.  CPU temp has little bearing on case ambient temperature.  If you are running a CPU air cooler, my preference for that is to put on the MB CPU fan header.  This guarantees safety and even large box style coolers can't go for more than a few seconds without active cooling before the heat builds up and starts conducting the other way across the cold plate.  

Oh I know that is what is happening. And I'm saying that either there needs to be a way for the Commander Core XT to still receive that data or there needs to be a way to set a hardware profile that either has a static or probe based curve that is save to the Commander Core XT.

Oh I have the CPU cooler fans controlled by the MB as iCue occasionally crashes. (Have a custom scheduled task to restart iCue on crash but it has to wait like 30 seconds) But the CPU is an OCed 5950X and is a bit of a furnace. With just the CPU fans under a full HEVC handbrake load it still reaches 90C. But with the case fans going its a meager 75-80C. Even with just a 20% duty cycle I can get it down to 85C.

P.S. I have built numerous systems. 12 in fact. I only ever reach out to support or forums when it's something completely out of my control.

Edited by ETHREAL1

1 hour ago, ETHREAL1 said:

there needs to be a way to set a hardware profile that either has a static or probe based curve that is save to the Commander Core XT.

Any curve set using one of the XT temp probes as the control source will persist regardless of software state.  It is automatically saved to the device.  Also, a fixed RPM/PWM% curve should continue on regardless of software state.  I don't think there is a way to allow the controller to fetch data from other sources (MB) without the software active along with a CPUID service, but I'll leave that for Corsair to clarify.  I do feel the fans shutting down without active software control when the first control point is 0 rpm is something that should be looked at.  It potentially creates some awkward BIOS or CUE crash scenarios, but I suppose the counterpoint is not to use zero rpm modes for those that are more cautious.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Thanks this helped.

I also needed my fan curve to stay working after logout.

I simply placed my commander's temp sensor in the graphics card shroud and checked the temps as i gamed to get a base line of low and high, then i set the fan curve to those temps and selected the commander's temp sensor as the source.

This solved my problems