Corsair Community

iCue causing system to hang/crash.

Same here I have the same issues with PC freezes, USB devices stopping, and instability since upgrading to the newer versions of iCue.  I've had to uninstall iCue and stop using it.  My system is stable, and never crashes with iCue removed.

• Like 1

Congrats Corsair for the support!

• Sad 3

Hello everyone,

Today I noticed a problem when I was playing valorant, my lights from my corsair vengeance hung up after a while. when I looked in the corsair app iCUE I saw that I had a question mark on my RAM so I restarted my system, there I got a message from the BIOS that said "Boot failure detected"

At first I thought ok maybe my RAM is damaged. I took my RAM out of my PC. and checked everything. I ran an error analysis of my RAM without any sign of a problem. I also found that when I turned on the XMP profile I had the same problem again that after I played Valorant I got a "Boot failure detected" again.

After that I checked everything again, played other games and did some things on the computer, this problem didn't occur anymore. Now that the problem no longer existed, I was starting Valorant again and it happened again. My RAM hung up in the RGB and was no longer recognized by the ICUE software but I was looking on my PC all my 4 ram sticks were displayed in the system.

I also used the Command on CMD "wmic memorychip get speed" I was also able to see all my speeds from my 4 ram sticks, which refutes my ram failure.

As soon as my RAM was no longer visible in the iCUE software, I restarted my PC. then again "Boot failure detected"

This problem must be with Vanguard, otherwise I can't imagine the problem. because it doesn't happen with other games or other things I do on the computer. and my ram is also running properly, I did error analyzes and checked my RAM, it runs without any problems.

After some time in Valorant, the lighting on my RAM sticks hangs up. then I look into the iCUE software and see that my RAM is no longer recognized. As soon as I restart my PC afterwards, I get an error message from the BIOS "Boot Failure Detected" which leads me to fully reset my BIOS to default thats really annyoing.

Maybe it's because vanguard intervenes a lot in the system and also blocks some things.because in all other games except valorant this doesn't happen and my ram is running fine.

My system properties:

System → Windows 10 64Bit

Case → Thermaltake View 91 TG

Mainboard → Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce, Intel Z390

CPU → Intel Core i9-9900K (Without OC)

CPU Cooler → Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce Monoblock

Graphic Card → Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme 11G

RAM → Corsair Vengeance RGB, DDR4-3200 Quad-Kit (OC XMP 3200 without 2133)

Power Supply → be quiet! Straight Power 11, Platinum, modular - 1000 Watt

Software I am using:

iCUE on the newest Version v.4.24.19

Edited by rGxOfficial

7 hours ago, rGxOfficial said:

Hello everyone,

Today I noticed a problem when I was playing valorant, my lights from my corsair vengeance hung up after a while. when I looked in the corsair app iCUE I saw that I had a question mark on my RAM so I restarted my system, there I got a message from the BIOS that said "Boot failure detected"

At first I thought ok maybe my RAM is damaged. I took my RAM out of my PC. and checked everything. I ran an error analysis of my RAM without any sign of a problem. I also found that when I turned on the XMP profile I had the same problem again that after I played Valorant I got a "Boot failure detected" again.

After that I checked everything again, played other games and did some things on the computer, this problem didn't occur anymore. Now that the problem no longer existed, I was starting Valorant again and it happened again. My RAM hung up in the RGB and was no longer recognized by the ICUE software but I was looking on my PC all my 4 ram sticks were displayed in the system.

I also used the Command on CMD "wmic memorychip get speed" I was also able to see all my speeds from my 4 ram sticks, which refutes my ram failure.

As soon as my RAM was no longer visible in the iCUE software, I restarted my PC. then again "Boot failure detected"

This problem must be with Vanguard, otherwise I can't imagine the problem. because it doesn't happen with other games or other things I do on the computer. and my ram is also running properly, I did error analyzes and checked my RAM, it runs without any problems.

After some time in Valorant, the lighting on my RAM sticks hangs up. then I look into the iCUE software and see that my RAM is no longer recognized. As soon as I restart my PC afterwards, I get an error message from the BIOS "Boot Failure Detected" which leads me to fully reset my BIOS to default thats really annyoing.

Maybe it's because vanguard intervenes a lot in the system and also blocks some things.because in all other games except valorant this doesn't happen and my ram is running fine.

My system properties:

Software I am using:

Try turning off game integrations for the ram in iCue

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 4:23 PM, rGxOfficial said:

Hello everyone,

My system properties:

Software I am using:

Asus + Corsair has a problem that they want admit.

I have a similar problem on Asus Z690 Extreme and Corsair Dominator DDR5.

All you can do is to stop buying products from brands that hide problems because they know that they aren't able to fix them.

Stop buying Corsair and Asus, they don't deserve our money.

There are threads full of complaints about these issues and there are no ackgnoledge from Corsair and no solution proposed.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys
I had the same problem today ( screen black + fans full speed)

and i just had the chance to open ICUE before it crashes and i block it after so he cant start when i boot. (it resolve the problem of my pc crashing)
I have changed my ram for a new one yesterday (corsaire vengeance pro 16GB * 2 ) and it seems is trying to upgrade the firmware of the ram and dat make it go crazy.
It was working totally fine before with my other unbrand ram.

it's really stupid dat a corsair software cant even upgrade a corsair ram without failling.

Hope it helped you guys.
I dont know how to fix it , maybe upgrade the firmware ourself on the ram and after install ICUE, I think I will give it a try.

7 minutes ago, Hasnain said:

Hello guys
I had the same problem today ( screen black + fans full speed)

and i just had the chance to open ICUE before it crashes and i block it after so he cant start when i boot. (it resolve the problem of my pc crashing)
I have changed my ram for a new one yesterday (corsaire vengeance pro 16GB * 2 ) and it seems is trying to upgrade the firmware of the ram and dat make it go crazy.
It was working totally fine before with my other unbrand ram.

it's really stupid dat a corsair software cant even upgrade a corsair ram without failling.

Hope it helped you guys.
I dont know how to fix it , maybe upgrade the firmware ourself on the ram and after install ICUE, I think I will give it a try.

I think It was the issue I uninstalled ICUE and reinstall it and now he say I dont have any  firmware update for my RAM and it stopped crashing for now.
Even if I dindt make any upgrade of the firmware my self.

This is happening to my Surface Laptop Studio with ICUE, but only when waking from sleep. With ICUE uninstalled or not started, no system hang... I've been waiting for corsair support for over 2 weeks to get back to me with something, anything, even a "yes we were able to reproduce your issue". Radio silence. What a sad excuse for a support team, I'm regretting buying Corsair really bad right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also noticed a significant amount of app hangups and crashes lately since upgrading iCUE.

For example, various games will crash consistently after about 5-10 minutes of gaming. Initially I though this was a driver or GPU problem, but after reading the games forums (Battlefield 2024), it was suggested I simply close iCUE.

Closed iCUE, no more crashes. Culprit found!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, coming here 1 year later to advice those who still having issues with pc crashing. My setup: TUF GAMING X570 PLUS/BR / RYZEN 7 5800X / 2X8 3600MHZ FURY BEAST/ CORSAIR CX 750/ TUF GAMING RTX 3070. I't seems that this pc crash bug occurs mostly on ryzen setups and i tested this weekend with the ICUE software closed and had no issues, this morning i left the app open and my pc crashed. So try saving the setups for your RGB and fan rotation and only open the app when needed that the problem appears to be solved

I too am having BIG problems with iCue app. I have tried everything possible as you have and have win 11 and Ryzen proccessor Nvidia graphics etc. I am livid as i just bought the iCue Nexus for £90 and i cannot use it without the app. But if i install the app i can't use my pc. Hence i have the Nexus control companion that i just threw money away.  It crashes every hour.  Corsair REALLY need to sort their software out BIG style. They need to listen very carefully and do something about it or lose their credibility. I am already looking at Razer hardware as an alternative.   

• 3 weeks later...

First up, thanks to all the contributors on this thread and thanks goodness I found it!

I've been using Corsair products for about the past six years on reasonably high end PC builds for 3D rendering and design projects.
Originally and for many years I've just had Corsair Link installed for the H100i liquid cooler. With no RGB fans or any other extra features I never needed to install the iCUE software.

Yesterday I fitted some new SP Elite RGB case fans and a Commander Core XT fan controller and updated to iCUE.
Clearly this was a big mistake, as my previously super stable set up began freezing up within about 30-60 seconds of starting a new render.
The only way out was a hard reset using the power button.
For somebody who usually produces up to 100 renders per day for their work, this was clearly a major issue.

After reading through this forum post last night I found what is the very likely cause.

This morning I uninstalled iCUE and have had zero problems today. Back to a nice stable and reliable platform.
It's a shame I cant access the custom fan profiles and RGB set up as I hoped, but I need my professional tools to perform consistently so I guess I'm better off without the shiny things that don't actually work.
If Corsair could acknowledge and sort out their obvious software issues and supply something to support what is usually very good hardware, then it might be a good move in terms of their reputation...

For reference my current spec is as follows:

Asus Prime X399-A board
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x 16 core CPU
Corsair 850w RMx Series PSU
Corsair Vengeance 64gB DDR4 RAM
Nvidea GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GPU
Corsair H100i v2 CPU cooler
4 x Corsair SP140/120 Elite case fans
Corsair Commander Core XT fan controller
Corsair Obsidan 750D case (with airflow front panel)

Hi I had the same problem as you Derickmc84. But when I change the gpu from 1080ti to radeon 6900xt. Then it stopped. Do not know why. But now I've only got more Serious problems with icue (Just want to mention 3 problems I have now)

1. icue can never find all the commander pro's I use. have tried all usb 2 and 3 outputs on the motherboard + 3 different bios versions with the same result.
  2. icue occasionally stops the water pump which is connected to the 4-pin water header+ on my motherboard (asus hero)
  3. icue also disconnects my keyboard 3 to 4 times a week (keyboard corsair k95)

BTW I hope you find the solution on your icue problem

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I had this problem recently with my 5950x.

Does the problem only happen on AMD architecture?

I'm upgrading and switching to Intel anyways so maybe I can still use icue there?

Hi all,

thanks first of all for putting this topic out here. I myself started having this problem since I updated BIOS on my MSI B450 Tomahawk Max as I planned to upgrade my r3600 to r5600, around 2 months ago.

My problem was, my PC just freeze while idle, which i can see from the RGBs stopped moving, or while doing something, i could move my mouse but no click was doing anything. I have 6 LL Fans, 4 Vengeance RAM Stick and AIO H100 RGB Pro.

After trying updating everything, drivers, iCUE, BIOS, rolling back icue to v4.15.153 and no success, i finally found the culprit in EventViewer. Basically i traced back to the errors which was logged before i had to force shutdown my PC.

The culprit were ASUS Drivers leftovers services, that somehow still running in the background and caused memory leaks. I used to have a b350 asus motherboard and Asus Graphic Cards, where i installed their drivers and GPUTweak and whatnot. Seemed like their services never stopped running since i uninstalled the Softwares and Drivers. So it could be not Corsair, AMD, or Microsoft fault.

Hope it help you guys finding out the root cause of your PC freezing. Now i have been freeze free for around 24 hours. Before, the longest i could let my pc ran was maximum 2 hours before freezing.

Critical Error.png

Culprit.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 2:31 PM, ThorManV said:

Similar issues here. New System.

Asus z690-e Gaming Wifi

Corsair h170i AIO

Corsair iCUE Commander CORE XT

Corsair QL140 fans x 4

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Black 32GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 Dual Channel Kit

Gigabyte aorus geforce rtx 3080 xtreme

Win 10 & 11

latest version of iCue always :)).

For over a month now I have been living a nightmare thinking my system is completely fked due to a multitude of issues like GPU failing to pass post coupled with OFC freezing in windows and system failing to detect RAM in both bios and windows ....

However I knew 100% that my RAM is seated properly so I did not even attempt to reseat them and my suspicions were accurate because a hard shutdown with long press would always cause the ram to be seen again properly in the system. I mean ... if ram is not seated properly ... it stays like that right ? :))

I ran a ton of memtest86 (with all XMP profiles and without) before going to bed this month and I never once had an error so I know the RAM is fine.

I know my GPU is also fine because apart from a few crashes in 1 game that I fixed by simply underclocking it by -50mhz and the issue with it failing to pass post sometimes that I traced down to a bug in the vBIOS that is kinda known with the 30 series cards the component performs admirably.

Aaanyhu the first thing that would crash before the system went crazy on me would always without exception be iCUE saying it cant detect ram and most of the time it actually sets the ram back to it`s hardware profile but sometimes it fails to do that.

This one time it actually tried to set the hardware profile only for 1 stick of ram while leaving the other intact. I noticed this because I had an animation running on both and on one of them the animation froze. The frozen animation RAM stick was also not being detected in windows :)) like I only had 16 GB of ram ... so I restarted pc and the stick would not show up in bios as well (I had another episode like this where NO ram would show up in BIOS LOL how they pass post IDK ...). So I just did a shutdown with long press and now I again had 32 GB of ram. A 4 hour long memtest followed instantly did not even go in to windows (thank you asus for adding memtest in the bios XD) .. OFC 0 errors. This is when I knew that iCue be doing something funky with the ram that fks them up somehow .. however I decided to give the app one more chance and I reseated the ram just to eliminate this possibility. Everything was fine for 1 day when again a couple of freezes but this time though ram would show up after restart/shutdowns (however I am sure that given enough time eventually the ram would not be detected anymore again).

Conclusion for now I am in the process of testing the system without iCUE having any control over the ram so I just set SPD Write Disabled to TRUE in bios. Going strong for almost 2 weeks now without 0 issues.

Sorry for the long read ... it`s been hell for me and this is the short version 😅

Ok .. this piece of **** software is again fking up my vibe after recent icue updates it detects my RAM regardless of the SPD setting in bios which I would use in the past to stop it from even seeing my RAM and trying to control it in any way thus I could use icue but without controlling the ram which worked fine. But now after a few hours (typically when I leave the pc unattended) RAM animation freezes and sometimes the system as well requiring a power cycle with hard shut down because a restart just ends up with error code on Mobo that says RAM is broken and cant post. It insane to me that we cant just tell the software to stop trying to control the RAM ... just ********ing add the option for people that dont want it........

I am having the same issue. I have RMA'd almost every piece of hardware in my system thinking it was an issue with the parts I purchased, only to find out it was ICUE4 crashing my computer. Unacceptable, given the amount of money invested in Corsair products. Literally every peripheral, fan, and stick of RAM in my system is Corsair RGB and I'm forced to uninstall this ridiculous app in order to use my PC without issue. When will we get a response from Corsair on this? These crashes have happened so often that I have half a mind to just sell all of my Corsair products and switch to another company. This is EXTREMELY frsutrating.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X

MB: ROG B550F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3600

GPU: ROG 3070

6x Corsair RGB PWM Fans

Commander Pro

On 12/2/2022 at 6:37 PM, ThorManV said:

Ok .. this piece of **** software is again ******** up my vibe after recent icue updates it detects my RAM regardless of the SPD setting in bios which I would use in the past to stop it from even seeing my RAM and trying to control it in any way thus I could use icue but without controlling the ram which worked fine. But now after a few hours (typically when I leave the pc unattended) RAM animation freezes and sometimes the system as well requiring a power cycle with hard shut down because a restart just ends up with error code on Mobo that says RAM is broken and cant post. It insane to me that we cant just tell the software to stop trying to control the RAM ... just ********ing add the option for people that dont want it........

I have the same problem on Z690, I'm reporting this problem since a year but Corsair customer care isn't able to fix it.

Uuffff, what a mess. I had all that was described on this post. it seems that AMD never solved USB connection problems through AGESA. iCUE just can't handle all micro disconnections from USB hardware and it crash. I recently went back to intel and now all system is stable, iCUE works as it should. Hope one day AMD resolves USB issues.

Good Luck everyone