Corsair Community

Corsair One i164 Bluescreens

Same situation here. i140 getting more and more frequent blue screens. Started at about once a day, all the way up to 3 mins after boot rendering my machine completely unusable. Same symptoms described here, boot to BIOS and unable to detect the SSD.

I tried reseating the RAM multiple times, and had no luck, but I ended up following  @MostlyICareaLot and @eric418's suggestion and purchased a similar SSD extender cable, this one, specifically. Thanks so much for the images of the screws as well, super damn helpful!  I didn't mount/properly secure the SSD, just sort of "wedged" it into some free space above the GPU cooler 🤷‍♂️

Also didn't buy a replacement SSD or anything, just used the original one with the extension cable and so far its looking good. Left my machine on overnight, which is far and away the longest its survived without a blue screen for the last couple of months. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Edited by SensualCelery

On 10/5/2022 at 7:03 AM, Andy036 said:

Hi, i am heaving same issue after reading all these posts i have now realized that Corsair already know this issue reason why they are very cold in response on the BSOD tickets- and its still going on. now i know i am just another victim of this fraud  company but willing to know did you get any final resolution?

Sorry to hear. In essence the build up of components is just very (too) tight: the SDD is wedged between cpu/mcb and gpu with very little circulation avaliable. I'd argue it is in part form over function and typically a result when various components from different suppliers are generic an get bacthed together. Costs/profit play the overall role it appears. Hence the reluctance to get act on Corsair's behalf.
If you want to prolong the shelf life of your SDD other clearly found the relocation of the unit beneficial. Adding a heatsink improves the predicament by ca 3-6 degrees. If you were to set the case fan to maximum you get another 10-12 degrees reduction. With both of the above I down from ca 60deg to 42deg on normal office work with minor gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Like @eric418 I confirm that using a NVMe extension cable to move the SSD below the top fan solves the problem.

CORSAIR ONE i145s (960GB NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage 2TB 5400RPM 2.5" HDD)

Before using an extension cable, I had previously:

• reinstalled Windows,
  • updated the bios to its latest version,
  • installed Samsung NVMe controller driver,
  • Installed a new SATA Samsung 870 EVO SSD disk and moved Windows 10

But these actions hadn't solve the bsod, the boot loop to bios etc. 

Now running on a Corsair MP600 PRO LPX 2TB - on a M.2 Key M extension cable. 

it just works and have completely removed bsod,  the boot loop to bios etc...

it is of course not necessary to update the disks -but when you have to install new hardware it seemed smart to do it all at once. 😀

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this brilliant tip!

I started with an i140, burned two SSD's in less than 18 months. Corsair was kind enough to exchange it under warranty for an i164 but now, a couple of months later, the SSD fails again.

Managed to reinstall everything but just two days later, the SSD again disappeared from the BIOS.

I ordered a new 990Pro from Samsung and a 30 cm extension cable and hope my sorrows will be over. It's a great computer but obviously, heat management is a serious flaw...

Cheers and happy new year!!

Ton

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 2:03 AM, Andy036 said:

Hi, i am heaving same issue after reading all these posts i have now realized that Corsair already know this issue reason why they are very cold in response on the BSOD tickets- and its still going on. now i know i am just another victim of this fraud  company but willing to know did you get any final resolution?

Same issue man, NVMe started giving blue screens for awhile.  Memory checks were fine, I would reinstall windows not long after blue screens.  Finally NVMe stopped being recognized by BIOS/Windows.  Trying to replace it is quite the challenge and warranty support from corsair was not helpful.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:29 AM, eric418 said:

I have done it finally and it works perfectly! Hope this info can help other Corsair One users here.

In my previous post in this thread, I was thinking of adding a NVMe extension cable to route the NVMe to the CPU side for better cooling and ease of management.

Now, I finally did it with https://www.moddiy.com/products/NGFF-M.2-Key-M-Extender-Cable-Adapter-Support-NVMe-Ultra-SSD-R44SF.html (30cm)

Now the NVMe is placed right below the top fan with perfect airflow, and I can also change/replace it anytime in future easily without touching the GPU side at all. 

There is no need to add any heatsink (which I had actually prepared as well) because the temperature is so low already without any heatsink.

Originally, the SDD temp is around 50c at idle, and now it is 34~37c only (ambient temp is 31c).

On top of that, the temp will not go up even during full load because the airflow is so good now.

The NVMe controller temp was like 60~70c before, but now it is always at 42~47c only.

A surprising bonus which I wasn't expect is that the Sequential Write speed is MUCH faster now! I didn't know the SSD was throttling for the whole time with original configuration, probably due to the NVMe controller high temp without airflow.

It was 1580MB/s before, and now it is 3330MB/s!

The other performances are basically the same, but Sequential Write speed is doubled now.

20220927_133959.thumb.jpg.8bc494399751a81a597c67b51d2a9b48.jpg20220927_132001.thumb.jpg.ed73d537d684dc43161d8564e0c67f27.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.f06daa667e7cd2f32bff193e8a831f7a.jpeg

Same here. After reattaching the RAM blocks seemed to fix the issue for a week or so, the problem reappeared. Finally I brought the PC to our IT guy at the university, which kindly had a look.

First, he managed to reproduce the issue (otherwise difficult to debug as it happens randomly) by running "chkdisk /f /r" in the command prompt and rebooting. The PC started checking the disk and was consistently giving the blue screen. This indeed pointed out at a problem with the NVME.

Finally we went for the extension cable solution. Did not replace the NVME, just used the extension cable without any heat sink, and the problem has now gone for at least a couple of months.

Frankly, it looks like the NVME still gets very hot even in its current position, so either it is very hot but not as hot as before, or in its previous position it was overheating the motherboard...

Anyways, I am happy to see that many people are solving the issue in the same way, so we can all cross fingers..

Regarding Corsair, I admit that I have been discouraged by the many bad comments on their support, and never contacted them, so I cannot really complain, but it would be nice if someone from the company could confirm us that the extension cable is indeed a solution. I can imagine that a company might not be so willing to admit a problem like this but hey, we all do mistakes, and the PC is otherwise a very nice machine!

• 1 month later...

Just an update from me.

I had 2 bsod fails on my i145s in its first 18 months (bought Dec 2020) . First time replaced under warranty (July 2021), second time they sent me a different and heatsinked ssd to fit myself (Corsair MP600 LPX) see my earlier posts.

The MP600 was installed in May 2022 and so far no problems. Only other change being Windows 11 upgrade over the period since.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 7:45 AM, bluecheese said:

I've had an i165 since Aug 2019 and started getting BSOD in Dec 2021.  The BSODs were intermittent at first but in the last few weeks could happen multiple times a day and it would never return a diagnostic code.  On some occasions it would reboot to BIOS and I could see that it did not recognize the SSD (thanks to this thread I knew to look for that symptom.). I replaced my SSD with the Samsung 970EVO Plus (thanks frode.bjerkholt for the recommendation and for the instructions on how to get access to the SSD) 9 days ago and so far everything has been stable.

My Samsung 970 lasted about 11 months and the PC started booting to BIOS.  I'm actually not getting BSOD.  I'm going to get a new SSD and try moving it under the top fan via an extender as some others have suggested.

• 4 weeks later...

ok, it would appear like i have a fault, turned to the forums and as usualy found a solution - just ordered a samsung 980Pro 1TB with heatsink as a replacement.

couple of questions

can people point me in the direction of a youtube video which will help me keep my pictures/ downlaods & documents etc off my C drive?

I think ive figured out how to but windows onto a USB from my laptop to plug in for the windows install.

(not worried about games etc i can just download them again) 

Is the extension cable more important than the replacement SSD if so does anyone have alink for a good one in the UK?

I will watch a few videos and if i still feel way out my depth I will just take it to a shop to be done.

while i am here does anyone else have issues downloading IQUE full stop as in it will not work at all or could that also be part of this error? 

The BSOD message i get says -  critical process died 

Kind regards, 

Tom

On 8/16/2022 at 12:11 PM, frode.bjerkholt said:

I changed the SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO a year ago and my i164 has worked without any blue screens for a long time. However late in July this year, the BIOS suddenly stopped recognizing the SSD from time to time after reboots. I have now installed a new Samsung 980 Pro with a Heatsink and I see that the temperature reported by Samsung Magician is much lower than before. For the 970 EVO the temperature almost always was above 60°C. Now for the 980 Pro with a heatsink it is mostly below 50°C.  Hopefully this will make the SSD last longer. 

89834017-163950094-11453-org.jpg

im currently doing this now following your advice - how has it been?

On 9/8/2022 at 5:45 PM, MostlyICareaLot said:

Hi all,

I can confirm many of the problems forum users in this thread have experienced. My rig is just over 2 years old and has had an exponentially increasing amount of BSOD. The BIOS failed to show the SSD  (also the boot drive in my setup) in the end rendering the unit useless.

After following frode.bjerkholt comment plus a £100 poorer I received the replacemtn EVO 980 with heatsink. I used to know my way around the i286 generation pcs which in comparision the ultra tight setup was a doddle. However, after 15 minutes of careful removing and refitting the procedure of replacement was complete. Better still it runs fine (for now) with an SSD temp of 55degC at modest use and no chassis fan running.

Below I posted some photos of the journey (apologies for the dust, I did a complete clean after!). Make sure your screwdriver tip is properly magnetised ;D

Corsair i145 disconnected state.jpg

Corsair i145 side panel.jpg

Corsair i145 screws.jpg

Corsair i145 screw locations GPU.jpg

hi, i just want to say thankyou for adding these few pictures, it helped me massively and worked perfect  - i just started at the bottom removing the green screws and move it out the way alittle then took out the blue one.

The only thing i can add to this is i had to undo a cable tie on the left as my wires never had as much play - some may get away with it, other may heve to replace the cable tie.

overall very easy thanks to these few images. thanks again.😁

I found this thread when googling "Corsair One i164" along with bluescreen, BSOD, fan control, and SSD. Obviously, I also experienced many BSOD errors on my i164, which I bought used.

As mentioned in this thread, the issue is overheating, which harms the NVMe SSD. I monitored the stock drive temperatures with HWInfo64, which showed the temps quickly rising and remaining elevated!

I also noticed the case fan staying at rest during these overheating episodes!

I tried many fixes, including reinstalling Windows multiple times (in-place reinstallations as well as fresh installs) and dusting the interior, but the solution that fixed the BSOD was an NVMe SSD replacement.

After replacing the NVMe drive, there have been no errors for the past couple of weeks, and temperatures have been stable.

However, I do have one issue remaining, which I believe is a contributing factor: the case fan control is poor.

While using iCUE v5, I noticed the "Default" fan curve has a poor tolerance for high temperatures. I think the fix is to set the preset curve to "Extreme."

Final thoughts: Since I purchased the used machine without any support, I took it upon myself to fix the issues. After many days of encountering BSOD errors and fruitless googling, I finally came across YouTube videos and forum threads that suggested replacing the NVMe drive. Consequently, I replaced the 2.5" HDD with a SATA SSD and installed an aftermarket Noctua fan for the case. It is evident that the engineering design of the i164 is flawed, and I assume there have been improvements in thermal management since its release. The experience has been frustrating, and the ongoing cooling problems do not instill confidence in the machine's reliability.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys i also own a corsair one i164 and after two years the bsods started to occur. The solution that worked for me without replacing hardware was to just run the top fan a static rpm true ICUE.

I gave the fan a custom setting of 67% , this gives me 1000 rpm (silent) and the m2 ssd temperature now stays below 50 degrees celcius , usually runs in the range of 38 to max 50 degrees celcius depending on the tasks i''m doing. I had constant bsods when running the cooling in default mode but the problem with the default setting is the m2 just runs too hot (+70 degrees celcius) and that's what was causing my freezes. Since i run the cooling setting in ICUE at 67% i haven't got a single freeze and it's now running this setting from January.

I also linked the lightning of the ONE to the temperature of the m2 so it monitors the heat of the m2 true the lights of the one what i find very conveniant. Green for below 50 degrees , yellow for range +50 - 68 degrees and red for +68 degrees wich is the range were the m2 starts to throttle/freeze. I must say i am very happy to see the corsair lights most of the time showing the green lights 🤩. Hope this helps some of you , i struggled a lot of time finding a solution to the freezes and bsods and now i can say i can enjoy my ONE like it should be.

PS>>> I STILL RUN THE ORIGINAL OEM M2 SSD that came with the one i164.

Edited by Bodyfreak

Hello all, same overheating issue for my i164 SSD.

The new replacement unit after RMA started to BSOD again after 2 weeks, so out of frustration I replaced the SSD with a Samsung 970 Evo Plus hoping it would be better suited to high temps.

It seemed to be ok for about 6 months but unfortunately it started BSOD again, booting to BIOS with no drive present. So, I installed an m.2 extension cable as below, using a cable tie to fasten avoiding any permanent modification (purchased from Ali Express).

With a custom fan profile set at 60% the SSD idle temp is at ~40 deg C. Using the Samsung benchmark, the max temp is now only 55 deg C.

This seems to have worked well for me. I don't know if the extension cable will also be affected by heat over time, but so far no crashes/ BSOD since installation. In this respect, I hope it may help anyone who is as frustrated and/or disappointed with their purchase.

I love the formfactor, but to me the design is clearly flawed and should have been recalled/rectified by Corsair. On my next pc, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.6291c9a85cd16dfac075635a573eb18c.png

• 2 months later...

Unbelievable...but this is actually working for me: I placed a portable fan, blowing inward, on top of the computer (after removing the existing fan) and my machine has been working ever since. Two full days and 12 hours later. Keep in mind that I was getting BSOD every few minutes while playing games. Needless to say, this is a heat management issue - not to mention  a major design flaw. Corsair knows damn well about this problem and should have felt compelled to make this right by extending warranties and/or providing practical solutions for those of us suffering through this nonsense. Actually, come to think of it, a full recall should have been initiated. I can forgive a poor design choice, but ignoring customers who have spent upwards of 3K on one of their products? That's inexcusable, and I'll never purchase another Corsair product again. 

Anyway, I sincerely hope this helps some of you. Give it a try...it may save you a few thousand dollars and lots of time and energy. 

(and yes, that's baseboard heating behind the computer, but I don't use the baseboards for heating the house...so that was never the issue) 

image0.jpeg

•  
Edited by G3Bishop

Same going on as everyone here with random crashes to blue screen..while its just sitting idle... temps were high on the SSD as everyone here has reported  ive upped fan speed with Icue... which seemed to help for sure.....less crashes/lower SSD temps.. 
So also  i today tried running from an external SSD as my Windows boot drive- which seemed WAY more stable... I did have a couple of Crashes to Blue screen though , but it was when I was changing a setting in OBS each time.. (its my streaming PC) 

QUESTION .... Is there ANY point in extending the internal SSD (and all the hassle that goes with it ) or can that no longer bring the machine down to a blue screen  if its NOT running the O/S ? - its now just an attached drive effectively ... Ive ordered an extension cable just in case but it looks quite tricky from what people have described here.
Not sure if its going to help in my case (literally LOL ) 

Many thanks ! 

On 8/22/2023 at 8:42 PM, wakevortex said:

Same going on as everyone here with random crashes to blue screen..while its just sitting idle... temps were high on the SSD as everyone here has reported  ive upped fan speed with Icue... which seemed to help for sure.....less crashes/lower SSD temps.. 
So also  i today tried running from an external SSD as my Windows boot drive- which seemed WAY more stable... I did have a couple of Crashes to Blue screen though , but it was when I was changing a setting in OBS each time.. (its my streaming PC) 

QUESTION .... Is there ANY point in extending the internal SSD (and all the hassle that goes with it ) or can that no longer bring the machine down to a blue screen  if its NOT running the O/S ? - its now just an attached drive effectively ... Ive ordered an extension cable just in case but it looks quite tricky from what people have described here.
Not sure if its going to help in my case (literally LOL ) 

Many thanks ! 

I Made the change last December and haven't had the least issue since.

The SSD now lies just below the top fan and with this fan at ~ 1000 rpm, the SSD, even under heavy load, hardly goes over 50°C.

It's definitely the solution if you want to use this computer without hassle.

Bye,

Ton

5 hours ago, Tonio78370 said:

I Made the change last December and haven't had the least issue since.

Thanks Ton.. I actually intend to NOT use the internal SSD for Windows..im now booted from a fast external M2 Drive, and its going well so far...my question was 
Is it now ok to assume the Internal SSD (which is now running around 52 deg - way better , with internal fan speed upped to 1000)  will NOT affect anything now if it gets hot for whatever reason,  as its no longer running Windows... 
If so I will also move it .... im just not sure its now worth the hassle... 
cheers 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to say so but I'm afraid I cried victory too soon.

We had some very hot days here in France and, although I had the fan running at 1000 rpm and the disk never got over 50°C, it seems I've fried another SSD.

The first BSOD the day before yesterday, two more yesterday where I dropped back in the BIOS showing that my SSD was absent. This morning again strange behaviour, USB errors, sound freezing, all the signs I have had before when the SSD failed.

If it fries, I'm not sure I will repair again. At this rythme, I will pay more for SSD's than the initial buying price of the rig...

Will keep you posted...

Ton

Just want to add my experience with the same issues. Tried to follow all the different leads for BSOD and ended up trying to remove the Ram, Gave them a light grind, cleaned them and remounted. And everything solved. And my Corsair one was basically unusable before. Restarted every 2 min. Now I await how long it will work as some users told the issues returned after some weeks and others that it kept on working.

I had all of these problems mentioned above and it gradually became worse and worse and made using the computer quite impossible.  In preparation for replacing the SSD I stripped the computer down to make sure that I could get to the SSD.  I found that the screw holding the SSD in place was not tight.  I took the SSD out and refitted it making sure that the screw was tight.  Then I put everything else back together.  Since doing this I have not had a single BSOD.  The problem is solved.

• 2 months later...

I'm brazilian so sorry about my english, but my i160 is freezing and getting blue screen several times everyday. I checked all the windows event logs, drivers, dust, did a windows reinstall and nothing is working. The curious thing is that my ssd m.2 sometimes does not shows on bios (like some people reported too) only if I press the CMOS.

Probably the issue is caused by the temperature, because corsair one has a critical problem, when icue crash during windows logon the fans does not spin.

This week I'll buy a new ssd and back here to update you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am again, two weekes after my first report above. I have replaced my sdd to a new one (samsung 970 evo plus) and since then, no more BSOD. What as a daily frequency problem, now is solved.

My system is  i160, was very easy to replace the m.2 ssd, the most annoying part is unplug and plug the USB/HMDI/DP cables inside the case.

spacer.png

spacer.png 

Edited by Shion

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this works for you, it didn't for me.

I changed the SSD three times, every time it worked for a couple of months, and it started all over again. Even placing the SSD further away with a extension cable didn't have the result I hoped for.

I now have a 4th SSD laying ready, a 990 Pro. Between the holidays, I will replace it and, at the same time clean all the connections as this seems to help too. If this goes wrong again, I'll give up and I'll be the proud owner of a 2800€ paperweight.

First and last time I'll buy Corsair. The Corsair One looks good but definitely has a design fault: the heat dissipation grills the SSD's.

Good luck!

Ton