Corsair Community

Cannot access Bios ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming

--MAILMAN-

All of a sudden we noticed a problem with newly built computer with an ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E motherboard. When rebooting or turning off the computer the scroll lock indicator starts flashing. When the computer reboots or gets turned on the Number Lock indicator light turns on and the scroll lock light starts flashing. During the boot process if you press the F2 or Del key to enter the bios nothing happens and the boot process continues until Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit loads at which time the scroll lock indicator light stops flashing. There is no way to access the bios.

Reading at various places I have learned that by pressing F1 + Windows Lock keys simultaneously while in windows I can make the scroll lock indicator flash; reboot the computer and while in the boot process if I press F2 or Del key I can enter the bios. I then must press F1 + Windows Lock keys simultaneously to get the scroll lock indicator light to stop blinking and all of the RGB lighting on the keyboard operates as normal.

I also have a Strafe RGB on my ASUS ROG STRIX 370E-Gaming computer. I took the problem Strafe RGB from my wife's ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming computer and swapped it with my strafe RGB on my machine and her keyboard did not have the issues on my machine. Next I will take my keyboard and test to see if it has problems on her machine and post the results.

I installed my strafe RGB from my Z370-E Gaming to my wife's Z390-E Gaming computer and my keyboard has the same problem. lI know the keyboard was working correctly when Windows 10 Pro 64Bit was installed because I was able to access the BIOS normally with F2 or DEL keys. Since then there was a firmware update for the keyboard and a iCue update and other driver updates for various components.

Next will be attempts to roll back the driver to see if it changes things.

Is there a way to roll back the firmware?

Is there a process to install firmware without going through iCue?

Can the previous version of the firmware be made available?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. If I discover the fix I will post back here what I found.

No luck.

I have tried every USB port.

I completely uninstalled all drivers, software etc. since installing windows.

I performed a restore to two days ago when I installed Windows and the problem is not fixed.

I originally installed windows using a generic usb keyboard. Later I installed the Strafe RGB (was being used on a windows 10 Home machine) and didn't notice the problem and when I opened iCue a pop up said updated firmware was available. Did the update. Some time today I restarted her machine and noticed the blinking scroll lock light.

Since it is so new I decided to perform a fresh install. The problem persists without Windows even installed. I am beginning to think this is a compatibility problem with the Strafe RGB and the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming motherboard.

I would like to install the previous firmware if it is available to verify if this is indeed the cause of the incompatibility.

You know, you can access the bios without hitting a key, with windows 10.

in the start menu, click reboot while holding the Maj key. you'll then see an advanced menu with various interesting options..

Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI firmware settings, and Restart.

Your PC should reboot and go into UEFI without having to press del or F2

That should get you going while you figure a solution for the keyboard itself

• Corsair Employee
Depending on your motherboard BIOS settings you may have to put the keyboard into BIOS mode by holding the WinLock+F1 key down for about 15-20 seconds then restart your computer to access BIOS. If you do not wish to do that step all the time then you will need to reach out to Asus about the specific BIOS settings that prevent some USB keyboards from accessing the BIOS.

"Depending on your motherboard BIOS settings you may have to put the keyboard into BIOS mode by holding the WinLock+F1 key down for about 15-20 seconds then restart your computer to access BIOS."

This is what I was doing until I read Ledoyen's recommendation (going to BIOS through windows repair) before getting your reply. Thank you Ledoyen BTW and I guessed that you meant "shift key", tried it and it worked.

This is much faster than switching back and forth from BIOS to Normal mode of the keyboard.

"If you do not wish to do that step all the time then you will need to reach out to Asus about the specific BIOS settings that prevent some USB keyboards from accessing the BIOS."

I did contact their support and explained everything. The problem is "in progress" at ASUS.

I have an ASUS Z370-E Gaming motherboard and both keyboards work fine with no issues on it. My wife has an ASUS Z390-E Gaming motherboard and both keyboards have the same problem which I included in my problem report to ASUS.

It does not affect all USB keyboards. Prior to connecting my wife's Strafe RGB to the Z390-E I used a simple Velocity USB (non RGB) keyboard and could access the the BIOS without any problem during the boot process. My wife's Z390-E computer has identical components as my Z370-E except she is temporarily using onboard video card, she is using a different monitor and has no DVD player(used mine to install windows). Both systems are using W10 Pro 64Bit and UEFI Bios.

FYI

ASUS lists the Corsair Strafe RGB as compatible on their Qualified Vendor List for the ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming motherboard.

Edited by -)-MAILMAN-

You know, you can access the bios without hitting a key, with windows 10.

in the start menu, click reboot while holding the Maj key. you'll then see an advanced menu with various interesting options..

Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI firmware settings, and Restart.

Your PC should reboot and go into UEFI without having to press del or F2

That should get you going while you figure a solution for the keyboard itself

This lets me access the Bios, BUUUUTTTTT, the keys are are still inoperable. The only way to get this keyboard to work on the Z390-E Gaming outside of Windows is to force it into Bios Mode. The keyboard is LED's are lit, the pass through usb port works (mouse connected), but the keys are inoperable. The ASUS engineers are trying to recreate the problem and fix it, but no go so far. They have been getting back to me approx. twelve hours after I reply with results of their instructions.