Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB LED issue

there's always a possiblility for dead dies on any color from the RGB chip, but it looks like the "pushing on LED fix" points at bad or broken solder joints on the flat flex.

that would also explain why the biggest complaints seem to be color matching on Vengeance RGB pro (LED soldered on the PCB), and dead colors on Dominator (LED soldered on more fragile flat flex ribbon).

One is a "normal" issue with any type of RGB led, manufacturing variance, the other is assembly defect, because too fragile.

I guess unless they spin a new PCB with direct soldered LEDs, the problem won't go away..

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's always a possiblility for dead dies on any color from the RGB chip, but it looks like the "pushing on LED fix" points at bad or broken solder joints on the flat flex.

that would also explain why the biggest complaints seem to be color matching on Vengeance RGB pro (LED soldered on the PCB), and dead colors on Dominator (LED soldered on more fragile flat flex ribbon).

One is a "normal" issue with any type of RGB led, manufacturing variance, the other is assembly defect, because too fragile.

I guess unless they spin a new PCB with direct soldered LEDs, the problem won't go away..

But what will be our solution for now?

RMA till you get a good one (they do exist), or get a refund.

The support at Corsair sent me an email with an approved Advanced RMA request.

I have to first pay for the new kit, they will send it to me in Hong Kong and after I receive it and install it, I can return the faulty one for a full refund.

You mean I have to keep doing this until I find a perfect one? Why can’t they test and guarantee one which is not faulty?

This will be so frustrating.

• Corsair Employee

Chiming in here, we don't have any firm updates, but the information you guys provided about the pressure correcting the LED's was relayed to our development and production teams, and they are working on fixes. I'll keep you posted as I get more information.

In regards to RMAing the kits, you can RMA if you choose to, but since the kit still functions to keep your system running, it might be in your best interest to wait until we have proper solutions in place for you. Yes, the kit might display the wrong colors, but this shouldn't impact system performance. My recommendation is to hold tight until we provide an update, and reduce the downtime you might experience otherwise.

I have the same issue. I purchased the 32GB kit from BestBuy, unfortunately it's not longer available for sale on their website or in stores so I can't exchange my kit. I just built my new rig and only had this RAM kit for 15 days and noticed it 2 days ago. The LEDs are beautiful but if only they all worked correctly.

Same issue CMT32GX4M4C3000C15

One stick out of the four has one led that appears to have a problem with the red fill. When the led is suppose to be red it is orange or off. Yellow shows up green. Pink shows up purple. Blues and greens are unaffected. White shows up blue. It only started happening today (been using less than a week) and only after the temp hits 45c. If I turn the system off and re-seat the stick, it solves the problem until temp hits 45 in hwmonitor.

I am going to return the defective ram and probably go with vengeance RGB or possibly another brand.. even if I happened to get a good kit during RMA, I wouldn't say that the issue won't resurface after a prolonged period of use..

I have the same kit (4x16gb DDR4 3600 CL16). One LED will show yellow when set to static white. So annoying. :mad:

Just happened to me today. Bought a brand new kit like a week ago. Also with the expensive 4x16gb 3600 kit. Very annoying actually.

qa3lPIi.jpg

TuTiNNu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9GojOhq.jpg

In regards to RMAing the kits, you can RMA if you choose to, but since the kit still functions to keep your system running, it might be in your best interest to wait until we have proper solutions in place for you. Yes, the kit might display the wrong colors, but this shouldn't impact system performance. My recommendation is to hold tight until we provide an update, and reduce the downtime you might experience otherwise.

But is there even a fix possible? Is it software or hardware related? And are you guys properly looking into the issue? Or is it just shoved to the side.

This topic seems to be from a year ago, and new people are still coming in. I'm really not keen on going through a whole refunding process, rather time-consuming and frustrating. But just accepting a faulty product and moving-on, or waiting on a fix that is never going to come, seems a bit odd to me.

Sure, it works in terms of system performance, but as you can see it's pretty damn obnoxious in terms of aesthetics, Besides in this price range you simply expect it to work.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got the same issue on two different PC builds.

@Corsair: is there any solution planned? Could i give you any debug files for solving that issue?

I think replacing the memory by the distributor is not an solution...as is read here.

Unless you want to disassemble your RAM and fix the crappy solder joints that are causing this, then a replacement is the answer...but until they get their manufacturing issues sorted out, replacement is a luck of the draw kinda thing. You might get good ram with no issues, you might get the same issue again, or you might get something like I did, where the color of all the LED's for some of your sticks are off vs the others.

Personally, since all my LED's actually work, I'm just tweaking the color in iCUE to match better and waiting for them to give word that QC is at least improved on these, then I'll probably request a replacement again.

Unless you want to disassemble your RAM and fix the crappy solder joints that are causing this, then a replacement is the answer...but until they get their manufacturing issues sorted out, replacement is a luck of the draw kinda thing. You might get good ram with no issues, you might get the same issue again, or you might get something like I did, where the color of all the LED's for some of your sticks are off vs the others.

Personally, since all my LED's actually work, I'm just tweaking the color in iCUE to match better and waiting for them to give word that QC is at least improved on these, then I'll probably request a replacement again.

I don't think this issue can be solved without RMA.

Because I doubt it is a software problem.

We will have to either accept what we have or just return the ram for a refund.

Even if we do swap for a replacement, there is no guarantee that you will ever get a perfect one. Even if it is perfect in the first couple of days, it may start to have problems later. That is what happened with mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh boy.

This is silly. Corsair has or do something about the Dominator Platinum RGB Ram.

Will you getting another replacement or a refund?

Too late for refund on this one, and even if I could - I'm nervous about Newegg doing some kind of shadowban on me for the repeated returns.

Painting the picture:

I'm trying to get two, fully working sets of Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Desktop Memory Model CMT32GX4M2K4000C19. At over $500 per package (after tax - $1K in total) I'm expecting them to - you know - work! :bigeyes:

The journey (so far):

11/13 - Ordered 2 sets - Set A and Set B

11/27 - Set B failed; submitted for return

11/27 - Ordered Set C

12/30 - Set C failed, returned

12/31 - Ordered Set D (still working as of 2/11 - although the color temp is off from set A slightly, i'm sucking it up)

2/11 - Set A failed; now I will have to submit through RMA at Corsair as i'm out of the return window at Newegg

Corsair - if you're listening - this has been an epic pain to deal with. I bought in to your whole ecosystem (fans, hydro x custom components, iCue) to theoretically make my life easier, and I am seriously starting to regret it.

In all cases, the same issue: the Red LEDs fail in one or more places on one or more of the the sticks.

Corsair, any update at least from the team who is investigating this? there are already lots of defective samples returned, but none of us got any feedback what's causing the led issue for about a year now. Are there particular motherboards that are causing the leds to do this? Conflict with other rgb software or is it just purely hardware?

• Corsair Employee
Corsair, any update at least from the team who is investigating this? there are already lots of defective samples returned, but none of us got any feedback what's causing the led issue for about a year now. Are there particular motherboards that are causing the leds to do this? Conflict with other rgb software or is it just purely hardware?

Our engineering team has been reviewing samples that have been returned, and looking into a solution. Once we have details for all of you on how to proceed, we'll provide an update. Again, since the kit physically works (aside from the LED), I would recommend holding onto the kit until we provide an update. Otherwise if you feel compelled to go through our RMA process, you can do so through the link below:

https://support.corsair.com/

• Corsair Employee

However if this isn't solved soon I'll likely open up the RAM stick and see if there is an easy way to repair the soldering, I'm not sure what the LED's look like inside the case so I have no idea how small the LED's are but I suspect they are very small and likely difficult to repair the soldering.

If I do end up opening one up and find a way to repair the LED soldering then I will make a video about it and put it on my YouTube channel to help others do the same.. but I suspect it may be too difficult so I'm still hoping Corsair fix the problem and replace our sticks with a new batch that doesn't have the problem.

We are still working on the solution, and I'll let you guys know once I have official word on what I can share. In the mean time, I strongly recommend against opening and trying to solder the PCB since this will void the Lifetime Warranty.