Corsair Community

Corsair. Are you ever gonna fix the high CPU usage?

This seems like an issue for a lot of folks still... I had just installed the 150 Elite Capellix version and have been mostly happy with it (other than light leakage between the fan and rad, which is right at eye level so super annoying - if I keep it I will have to remedy that with some black tape or caulk or something...(

Anyway, I checked on my cpu usages and voltages (Ryzen 3900X, Asus x570) and am not seeing the cpu usage most have been reporting. Cue version is 3.34.170. Cpu usage is typically 0.0-0.2%, whether minimized or in foreground.

3PVUquVh.png

Re my system, I only have the H150i Elite Capellix/Commander Core unit and the ML fans on the rad - no other Corsair fans (although I plan to add ML case fans once they get the LED's matched up) - no rgb keyboard/mouse/etc and definitely no headset, so not sure why that service is there...

I used ASUS tool to overclock so am running 13% overclock, locked at 4.3Mhz with 1.3 voltage. Since those are locked values that is likely why I am not seeing the voltage fluctuations. If I exit icue my voltage stays the same, 1.288-1.295 essentially due to the OC.

Anyway just wanted to add more sample data, maybe it will help someone... or maybe someone will tell me I am not looking at the right data :).

This seems like an issue for a lot of folks still... I had just installed the 150 Elite Capellix version and have been mostly happy with it (other than light leakage between the fan and rad, which is right at eye level so super annoying - if I keep it I will have to remedy that with some black tape or caulk or something...(

Anyway, I checked on my cpu usages and voltages (Ryzen 3900X, Asus x570) and am not seeing the cpu usage most have been reporting. Cue version is 3.34.170. Cpu usage is typically 0.0-0.2%, whether minimized or in foreground.

3PVUquVh.png

Re my system, I only have the H150i Elite Capellix/Commander Core unit and the ML fans on the rad - no other Corsair fans (although I plan to add ML case fans once they get the LED's matched up) - no rgb keyboard/mouse/etc and definitely no headset, so not sure why that service is there...

I used ASUS tool to overclock so am running 13% overclock, locked at 4.3Mhz with 1.3 voltage. Since those are locked values that is likely why I am not seeing the voltage fluctuations. If I exit icue my voltage stays the same, 1.288-1.295 essentially due to the OC.

Anyway just wanted to add more sample data, maybe it will help someone... or maybe someone will tell me I am not looking at the right data :).

With a static overclock you can definitely measure CPU usage, but your CPU will never actually idle so you wont see the issue with it keeping the CPU out of idle states.

• Corsair Employee
commander pro user here as well... maybe thats the missing key to the CPU usage after all?

Corsair Nick could you pass on to the dev team to investigate the CoPro for the CPU usage, as it may well be a common theme? I feel like none of us would notice if it slowed down its polling rates for temp sensors/fan readings/ fan control, if lower CPU usage was a benefit

Thank you for the suggestion Mussels, and I'll pass this suggestion along to the dev team.

Taking this a step further, suggestions like these do carry weight in how we design all our products including software, and one of the reasons why we have members monitoring the forums. We're here to encourage feedback from you so we can make enhancements inline with the community. Can't promise all of them will be implemented, but we are listening to what all of you have to say.

Registered to say icue is absolutely destroying the 5800x.

It was idling at 60 and spiking to 75 and the moment I turned it off back to idling at 40 with no spikes. Extremely worrisome as I had zero troubles with the 3800x

ooooof, thats rough... fortunately we dont seem to get the 'it's amds fault' excuse these days, and they seem to be working on it

I was on the 20215 Insider build when I posted before, showing corsair.service using 24% CPU. Now, updated to 20246 Dev build and corsair.service hums along at around .3 - .5% CPU. Still a little higher than it should be, but a lot better than it was.

I had problems with Corsair composite virtual input device: it was randomly disappearing from the device list causing any macro functionality to stop working (it was 2001067527 request). Now after recent updates icue cpu usage is more acceptable (~1.5% before, 0.4-0.5% now) and looks like there is no problems with virtual input device and macros. I'm using 3.34.161 icue version right now and also have manually disabled CorsairService to minimize cpu usage (I dont see any benefits from running this service).

Corsair got any plans to fix the ryzen 5k issues icue is having?

Some issues being reported by ryzen 5xxx user in reddit:

Icue is nice, but never let it run in the background when using a ryzen Zen2 Zen3 processor. It raises the idle voltage over 1.4 and use 4-7% of cpu power for nothing. Additionally, it seems that the software put some distortion on the boosting mechanism. With ICUE disabled my boost clock is 100-200 higher than with ICUE enabled.

icue is terrible, your cpu won't go into any low powerstates any more when you run it.

it's not exactly an iCUE issue.. Icue is guilty of keeping a constant small load on the CPU.

Where AMD comes into play is the huge voltages they require for small usage spikes.

So Corsair can work to rexuce CPU usage, but when it comes to idle temperatures, that's AMD who needs to tame their boost a bit. It's not just Zen3. it does the same on older series.

Same for frequencies, that goes for Intel or AMD. maximum boost is not really sustained on continuous small loads but just spikes.

on mine, i rarely saw 5ghz when i had iCUE, or when Aura/Ghub are running RGB effects.

When it's all on static with 0% cpu load on idle, and i start a browser or do simple stuff, the boost goes to 5.2 regularely. Just how it goes.

it's not exactly an iCUE issue.. Icue is guilty of keeping a constant small load on the CPU.

Where AMD comes into play is the huge voltages they require for small usage spikes.

So Corsair can work to rexuce CPU usage, but when it comes to idle temperatures, that's AMD who needs to tame their boost a bit. It's not just Zen3. it does the same on older series.

Same for frequencies, that goes for Intel or AMD. maximum boost is not really sustained on continuous small loads but just spikes.

on mine, i rarely saw 5ghz when i had iCUE, or when Aura/Ghub are running RGB effects.

When it's all on static with 0% cpu load on idle, and i start a browser or do simple stuff, the boost goes to 5.2 regularely. Just how it goes.

ooooof, thats rough... fortunately we dont seem to get the 'it's amds fault' excuse these days, and they seem to be working on it

Hmm not sure it's all on AMD tbh.

not all.. but it was an easy excuse from corsair support before the software team started to look into reducing CPU load.

yep and i got it about zen 2 (the ryzen 3000 series) despite the fact i was seeing these issues on a ryzen 1400 and 2700x...

anyway its good to have others join in and say that they too, want a fix - but we HAVE had direct forum responses from corsair employees saying that CPU usage is now a priority, and the last version of icue included some help for this

• Corsair Employee

Not going to push the matter, but the issue is inherent with how their processors handle loads. But the good news is we are working to make things more efficient for CPU loads where we can. It's a work in progress, and we'll keep updating you as we progress.

Not going to push the matter, but the issue is inherent with how their processors handle loads. But the good news is we are working to make things more efficient for CPU loads where we can. It's a work in progress, and we'll keep updating you as we progress.

But why is there ANY load I'm wondering. Does the app actually poll the card ? Does it constantly control it? Isn't this supposed to be a card with some sort of cpu and ram that is supposed to work on its own after initially loading some profiles etc ?

If that's the case, I'm wondering if I will not better workout how to do this on my own with an arduino and some pwm drivers.

• Like 1

Thats what i thought should happen when i switched from a LNP to a commander pro. that thing should have a µcontroller, the CPU load will vanish.. meeeeeeep.. wrong.. stayed the same.

Some presets have some logic behind generating CPU load, like the sound controlled profiles, they work off windows mixer, so there's some direct control from the computer. But other lighting cycles have no real need to generate CPU load.

But since static or animated profiles don't change CPU load, i imagine something else is creating issues, like the way iCUE constantly monitors sensors even when you don't use the dashboard.. it should poll only from the handful you use for fan control, and not several thousand times per second.

I genuinely feel like it may well just be over-polling CPU temps and fan RPM's for the fan curves and so on.

It was probably fine on manual all core OC'd intel systems, but ryzens different boost method showed it up as a flaw... corsair is not alone with bloated CPU software.

I have hope now.... but until i see it get fixed, i'm still not buying more corsair hardware.

• Corsair Employee
Hey guys, just in case you haven't updated your iCUE to version 3.35.152, please do. Based on the internal testing data that I've seen, there is an overall CPU load usage drop on both AMD and Intel platforms. Please update your iCUE and let us know if you guys are seeing the same results. Thanks

Does anyone have a direct link to the latest version for a clean install? Upgrading from 3.34 in icue actually made it go from 2% usage to 5%. Sigh.

I would really like to have this amazing program (technical bugs aside) on my computer. Perhaps a clean install will fix it.