Corsair Community

H110i v2 - Can a broken PWM Cable stop PC from Posting?

B77WGE115B

Do you guys think that applying the XMP profile could have done something to my RAM? Is it possible that my system is currently "bricked" and stuck in an XMP mode, even though I reset the CMOS (multiple times). If I tried my new RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX rated at 3000MHz), is there a good chance that it would work, or would I need RAM rated at 2133MHz for any chance of getting my computer to boot?

This was my initial thought after the PSU swap did not change things. However, the clear CMOS should reset this (that's why it's there) and you seem to have been thorough in your efforts. If you were to put the new RAM in, it would be detected as new hardware and you would certainly be at 2133 loading into the BIOS. Clear CMOS + battery out should = default BIOS. To that effect, does your system have a way to flash the BIOS from a USB drive in a power off state? Usually there would be a "BIOS" button and specific USB port in the back for this purpose.

We are not as deep into this as you and I don't know what to make of the beep codes at this point. I am way behind you in the research. All I can do is offer a logical argument. I do not think you mis-typed the voltage and absurd values are rejected out of hand in AMI BIOS versions. It would not have accepted 4.1v. I still think we are looking at the board, but there is no certainty.

How long does the system stay powered on when you attempt boot before shutting down? OCP shutdowns are fast - maybe a few seconds. A memory problem would more likely cause the boot cycle to hang for 30 seconds. Maybe it shuts down. Maybe a restart.

How long does the system stay powered on when you attempt boot before shutting down? OCP shutdowns are fast - maybe a few seconds. A memory problem would more likely cause the boot cycle to hang for 30 seconds. Maybe it shuts down. Maybe a restart.

It stays on for quite a while. My scenario is exactly like the video I linked above. I power the computer on, the fans stay on for about 15 seconds. Then I hear the five beeps, which takes between 5-7 seconds to complete. And then the computer restarts. So in total, about 20 seconds per cycle.

So restart and not shutdown? Those are definitely long beeps in the video. This does somewhat reset the discussion and I feel like we are back to DRAM issues. However, the thing that is bothering me is I am not accepting of the 'simultaneous failure of 2-4 RAM modules'. One could have been scrambled. All of them? I feel like it should have let you back in with one of the sticks and I am sure you tried them all.

This does make it tempting to open the other kit, but I certainly can't guarantee that it will produce a change.

So restart and not shutdown? Those are definitely long beeps in the video. This does somewhat reset the discussion and I feel like we are back to DRAM issues. However, the thing that is bothering me is I am not accepting of the 'simultaneous failure of 2-4 RAM modules'. One could have been scrambled. All of them? I feel like it should have let you back in with one of the sticks and I am sure you tried them all.

This does make it tempting to open the other kit, but I certainly can't guarantee that it will produce a change.

Yes, restart, not shutdown. Was I saying shutdown this whole time? I apologize. I have 2 sticks of ram, and I do think its highly unlikely that they both failed simultaneously. I did however call a local computer repair shop, and they said they might have some DDR4 ram lying around that I can test in my rig. Hopefully that can help sort out my issues.

So the computer is off to the technician, and he said 24-48 hours for him to run the diagnostic. Unfortunately, I had to resort to one of the large chain stores since the smaller shops in my area didn't have the parts I need. I can't watch them diagnose the PC, so I hope they don't come back and just say "everything's wrong, buy new stuff, look you can get it here".

In the mean time, if the issue turns out to be RAM, I'm still trying to figure out if the issue is with the RAM itself, or the RAM slots on my motherboard. Which one do you think is more likely to have died after enabling XMP? My memory (GSkill Ripjaws V) is rated for 2400MHz, and states my motherboard (Gigabyte Z170X UD3 Ultra) is on its QVL. Not exactly sure why something went wrong, but I'd like to figure it out for next time.

Archived