Corsair Community

Keyboard will turn off when Razer Mouse plugged in USB-Passthrough

Zerviscos

I just bought my first mechanical keyboard, a Corsair Strafe RGB. Yeay for me!

However I encountered a small problem. For some reason, whenever I plug in my Razer mouse, my Strafe RGB turns off all lights, and keyboard functions all together, while my mouse is on. But if I use my smartphone's USB, it stays on and even charges my phone.

Why do you think my keyboard stops whenever I plug in my Razer mouse? Is it because the software are clashing each other?

I can't afford a new mouse yet(will buy a Logitech one), so I'm using my Razer one.

It could be some kind of incompatibility, it's hard to say what exactly is the issue though.

Is there no way you can plug the mouse directly on your motherboard rather than using the usb pass-through? That might probably solve the issue.

That was the only way tbh, it works, but it saddens me I can't use the usb-passthrough for a mouse since that's one of the main reason why I bought the strafe. I was wondering if this would also affect the Logitech mouse I will buy.

However I did try some generic mice, one A4Tech and one Genius. Both of them works. If I can borrow another Razer mouse, I'll test to see if it works. If not, it might really be compatibility with the software.

I had a couple of Razer mouses myself before and, unlike a generic mouse, they use some kind of virtualization for macro support. This is probably what interferes when you plug it into the usb pass-through.

The pass-through should be a simple extension cable, or so I thought until now, but maybe there is something else going on there that causes issues with how the mouse works.

After noticing some issues with Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent, I've been in touch with Roccat support for a while being interested in testing and review the newest Roccat Ryos MK Fx RGB keyboard. I've noticed that from MK Pro there is missing usb passthrough, all the other features being there.

The answer was that since they have 2 cpu's, on-board memory for profiles and to maintain a better luminosity and quality for the rgb leds which requires more power than normal single color leds, they had to use also 2 usb ports, but to ditch the usb passthrough because this would had been an issue like this maybe, some devices to work, likes usb memories, but other not, like mices.

Maybe with the new rgb leds which require more power, also arm cpus, there is not enough power on the usb ports and in the future we might see this feature to be ditched.

• 5 months later...
the usb port on the strafe is not a direct pass trough i dont think. i think that i the keyboard draws some current from the pass trough and when you plug the mouse in it takes to much current. i dont know for sure my brother has a deathadder and a strafe ill ask him to test it

Archived