Corsair Community

Strafe Rgb key flicker

evolad

Hi !

I also have this issue with my Strafe rgb (the 4 and the 7 of the num pad in my case, other keys too, but more random) , I was afraid of an hardware failure of some sort, but like the others, it only occur when there is some sort of animation. If it's static, no issues.

And since it's been a while that corsair know about it, and there is still no fixes, i wonder if this is fixable ... Corsair better say something about it, quickly. Every corsair product that i buyed so far, there is something annoying ... not cool :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi !

I also have this issue with my Strafe rgb (the 4 and the 7 of the num pad in my case, other keys too, but more random) , I was afraid of an hardware failure of some sort, but like the others, it only occur when there is some sort of animation. If it's static, no issues.

And since it's been a while that corsair know about it, and there is still no fixes, i wonder if this is fixable ... Corsair better say something about it, quickly. Every corsair product that i buyed so far, there is something annoying ... not cool :/

Yes, they should.

Recently I bought a Logitech mouse, and I have an issue with the wheel scroll. That issue was notified to Logitech by lot of people on September, and they didn't respond, also, support mails take 3-4 weeks to get response and they don't help at all. That made me take a decision: I will not buy again another Logitech product. Ever.

They effectively lost one potential client. When someone buys one of your products, you don't have a client, you have THE CHANCE to get a client.

I really like my corsair keyboard, but if I can't trust customer service, I just can't thrust the whole company at all.

That said, I will probably get a brand new top line gaming computer in less than a year. That is a lot of money to be spent, and I will avoid any component belonging a company I can't thrust. I'm just one single person, I won't mean anything, but if I stop buying corsair products, it's for a reason, and probably others will follow me.

Interesting. I saw it flickering in CUE v1 on some profiles, and only single keys - always flickering white about one every few minutes - so you had to actively look at the keyboard and that key and hope that this doesn't happens during a blink of your eyes.

But that doesn't occurs with the recent, redesigned version of CUE...

Interesting. I saw it flickering in CUE v1 on some profiles, and only single keys - always flickering white about one every few minutes - so you had to actively look at the keyboard and that key and hope that this doesn't happens during a blink of your eyes.

But that doesn't occurs with the recent, redesigned version of CUE...

It happens to me even with the last version of CUE. Also, you don't have to be actively looking at your keyboard to notice, in fact, since the flickering happens randomly, it's rare that you get to actively see it.

More often than not, you are looking at your creen, reading or something, and you notice the flickering in the edge of your vision, since your keys are (lets say) redish switching to orange, when you get a white or a green flick, you notice at once, even if it happens in the edge of your vision. It bugs you a lot.

I have the same issue on k65 RGB... Contact with support has been great, I got instructions to flash the firmware, it did not work, so I got a replacement.. but the problem is there on the new unit as well. Together with animation lags so it goes smooth for like 10 seconds and then will go "frame by frame" for another 5 or 10, rinse repeat... I don't know what to do, seeing you guys have the same issue and still no fix after all this time.. This is a letdown

Is this ever going to be fixed?

No, this is not a software issue. This is a USB controller issue. If you are having this issue i would check for USB controller drivers.

I have the same issue on k65 RGB... Contact with support has been great, I got instructions to flash the firmware, it did not work, so I got a replacement.. but the problem is there on the new unit as well. Together with animation lags so it goes smooth for like 10 seconds and then will go "frame by frame" for another 5 or 10, rinse repeat... I don't know what to do, seeing you guys have the same issue and still no fix after all this time.. This is a letdown

Which build of CUE are you using?

What is the firmware build?

Do you have 16.8 million colors turned on?

What is CPU usage like when it lags?

No, this is not a software issue. This is a USB controller issue. If you are having this issue i would check for USB controller drivers.

Wait, WHAT?

Last official word we have about this issue is from Henry, on 9-19-2016 (page 5 on this thread), that said this:

My apologies for the lack of updates. The fix is still being released, but is taking longer than usual because priority was CUE 2.0. I assure you once more that this is a FW issue that will be taken care of soon.

So, even if it's not a software issue, it is a firmware issue, that is being worked on for (sigh) over a year now. He said "i asure you this is a FW issue that will be taken care of soon"

What is your source about the USB controller thing? Do you have any new info not released about this matter?

Which build of CUE are you using?

What is the firmware build?

Do you have 16.8 million colors turned on?

What is CPU usage like when it lags?

current software version 2.5.66

current firmware v.2.05

as far as I'm concerned there is no option to turn 16.8m on/off in CUE2

The problem occurs accross multiple software (CUE 1 and 2) and firmware versions - I've manually flashed the keyboard according to the instructions i've been given, to no use. It also occurs on a second keyboard in a row, as I said in my previous post.

CPU usage is nothing out of ordinary, I doesnt really seem to increase during the lag. Suprisingly enough, when I turn the rainbow effect on for example, and the lag happens, it is clearly visible in the CUE software on the keyboard display as well. Mind you, I did not experience animation lag on CUE1 versions, but the flickering and occasionally color-changing leds were still a problem.

Wait, WHAT?

Last official word we have about this issue is from Henry, on 9-19-2016 (page 5 on this thread), that said this:

So, even if it's not a software issue, it is a firmware issue, that is being worked on for (sigh) over a year now. He said "i asure you this is a FW issue that will be taken care of soon"

What is your source about the USB controller thing? Do you have any new info not released about this matter?

I can not disclose my source or any additional info I am under a NDA.

However I would recommend you check your logs. C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Corsair\CUE\logs. If you are seeing dropped packets or disconnects then thats would be the cause of your flickering.

There are issues with USB 3.0 controllers from 3rd parties dropping packets and doing other weird things. Its highly recommended that you download the controller drivers from the manufacturer. Usually ASmedia. The default windows drivers also tend to cause issues as their generic 3.0 drivers and not specifically made for the controller chip.

current software version 2.5.66

current firmware v.2.05

as far as I'm concerned there is no option to turn 16.8m on/off in CUE2

The problem occurs accross multiple software (CUE 1 and 2) and firmware versions - I've manually flashed the keyboard according to the instructions i've been given, to no use. It also occurs on a second keyboard in a row, as I said in my previous post.

CPU usage is nothing out of ordinary, I doesnt really seem to increase during the lag. Suprisingly enough, when I turn the rainbow effect on for example, and the lag happens, it is clearly visible in the CUE software on the keyboard display as well. Mind you, I did not experience animation lag on CUE1 versions, but the flickering and occasionally color-changing leds were still a problem.

Try updating to 2.7.79

You can turn off the 16.8 million color mode off under General settings. If your still seeing flickering after turning it off I would check the logs.

I can not disclose my source or any additional info I am under a NDA.

However I would recommend you check your logs. C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Corsair\CUE\logs. If you are seeing dropped packets or disconnects then thats would be the cause of your flickering.

There are issues with USB 3.0 controllers from 3rd parties dropping packets and doing other weird things. Its highly recommended that you download the controller drivers from the manufacturer. Usually ASmedia. The default windows drivers also tend to cause issues as their generic 3.0 drivers and not specifically made for the controller chip.

Ok, thanks, I'll give a try and see if it helps. If I'm able to find my USB manufacturer.

Anyway, if that is really the case, perhaps Corsair development team should talk about it. Silence doesn't help to keep user's confidence.

Thanks again.

USB 2.0, 3.0 Asmedia and Intel ones ... the issue is exactly the same, at least for me.

I put on the key press effect. I write some things, but i don't touch the "4" on my num pad.

After a while when i don't type anything, the "4" blinks red for nothing.

No errors on the journal either. The led is fine (if i put full white on it, no blinks that indicate a led failure).

*sigh* ...

• 2 weeks later...

Had the k70 for a few weeks now, issue is happening on USB 3.0 (asmedia) and USB 2 (970 chipset ports). No dropped packets in log. Reading the thread seems to indicate a firmware issue, but the latest reply blames usb controllers. I can say that other RGB keyboards do not have the issue on this pc, and it also happens on my laptop with Intel usb3 ports.

Windows 10 64 bit

K70 RGB Lux

FX8120 CPU

Asrock 970 Extreme 3 motherboard

Edit: I RMA'd my keyboard

• 2 weeks later...
Had the k70 for a few weeks now, issue is happening on USB 3.0 (asmedia) and USB 2 (970 chipset ports). No dropped packets in log. Reading the thread seems to indicate a firmware issue, but the latest reply blames usb controllers. I can say that other RGB keyboards do not have the issue on this pc, and it also happens on my laptop with Intel usb3 ports.

Windows 10 64 bit

K70 RGB Lux

FX8120 CPU

Asrock 970 Extreme 3 motherboard

Edit: I RMA'd my keyboard

Does the RMA keyboard have the same fault?

The PC I was using to test for flickering, which had the keyboard flickering, doesn't have USB 3.0 I think. Why would it happen then?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i bought a Corsair strafe rgb and this same issue is happening to me. Some keys in the center of the keyboard randomly flickers for like less than a second. At least this behaviour is rare to notice.

This can't be just a set of coincidences, but i can tell you that the firmware version that came with this keyboard was v2.04.

Hopping to hear soon from Corsair on this matter.

Hi, i bought a Corsair strafe rgb and this same issue is happening to me. Some keys in the center of the keyboard randomly flickers for like less than a second. At least this behaviour is rare to notice.

This can't be just a set of coincidences, but i can tell you that the firmware version that came with this keyboard was v2.04.

Hopping to hear soon from Corsair on this matter.

Pretty much my issue with the K65 RGB LUX. From what I've heard, it relates to the USB controller dropping packets :(:

• 1 month later...
Still no fix Corsair?? Shocking to say this has been a problem for such a longtime! Cant fix a software problem in well over a year puts me off buying anymore products from you!

Unfortunately this isn't an isolated product problem. The Scimitar RGB mouse never worked properly from day one and still doesn't.

Corsair's solution? Release another mouse Scimitar Pro RGB and stop listing the original on your product listing and pretend it never existed. Doesn't instill confidence or loyalty.

Best

Wulf

Unfortunately this isn't an isolated product problem. The Scimitar RGB mouse never worked properly from day one and still doesn't.

Corsair's solution? Release another mouse Pro RGB and stop listing the original on your product listing and pretend it never existed. Doesn't instill confidence or loyalty.

Best

Wulf

Yeah i know.. have the Scimitar.. its crap, the amount of times it doesn't work is unbelievable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Greetings, guys! Are you talking about this issue? Please check 0:23 second of the video i uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBboFappn34

The flickering is exactly this one, it happens in some keys in the middle, randomly.

One of my red leds stopped working, in a period of 6 months after buying it..

Well i am going to request warranty from my local store where i bought it, and i will describe the problem of the flickering also.

Not looking promising IMO, for this price tag and brand, i expected to be a more decent product.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, Corsair don't care at all. This issue is here for a while, and nothing at all, no fix, nada. And blaming the usb port is funny, they are not the issue here.

But, who knows .. maybe one day ... ahah ... :'(

Archived