Corsair Community

Corsair SP120 RGB LED

ludde00

Which "regular 4 pin" connection are you speaking of?

If it's a fan connection, it will work to power the fan and control fan speed. However, speed is controlled via DC mode (by altering voltage). Most, if not all, 4 pin fan headers support this mode.

If it's some kind of 4 pin RGB connection, then no ... you'll either need a Lighting Node Pro (NoPro) or SP-RGB controller.

If that doesn't answer, can you please be a little more specific in what you are asking?

I will uppgrade my pc with a Rm 750x so if i order that will the 4 pin be what i need to run the fan i whant to be avalebal to change the colours and the fan speed other wise were can i get this 4 pin to connect it with

I'm having a bit of difficulty parsing what you are trying to say here.

The RM 750x doesn't have anything to do with 4 pin anything. It'll provide a SATA power connection for a fan hub but that's it. But any power supply will do that.

The SP-RGB fans have two connectors. One is a standard fan header connector that you would see on just about any case fan that you purchase today. On the SP fans, it's 3 pins but it'll fit on a 4-pin fan header (and be controlled in DC mode). There's nothing special or unique about it; it's a standard fan connector.

The other is the 4-pin Corsair RGB header. It's totally different from the fan connector, won't fit on a standard 4-pin fan header and will plug into the RGB Fan Hub. This one is what controls the lighting. See the FAQ linked in my signature for details.

I am a little lost as well. Are you asking if the SP120 RGB can be controlled from your motherboard pin header?

The answer is probably yes, but it depends on your motherboard. Most motherboards now have 4 pin headers that can be DC or PWM and automatically switch. However, this is not universal and some lower end boards still have specific 3 pin DC or 4 pin PWM headers. You have to look in your motherboard manual.

The additional requirements are the SATA power connector for the RGB light hub. Each fan will have two wires. One to the motherboard or other fan controller for fan power. 1 to the light hub for light power.

Unless OP is asking about 4pin molex since he has mentioned power supply.

Oh ... those. I try not to think about them. Thankfully, Corsair has banned them from the Link/RGB products. No 4 pin molex to be found on any of the Link stuff ... all SATA, all the way! :cool:

I wish molex would just die already. I really very strongly dislike those connectors.

Newer motherboards can have two types of 4 pin headers for use in RGB Fans:

Fan 3/4 pin header: 12v, ground, RPM, and optional PWM. Most cheaper fans will not have PWM and will only use 3pins. This is supplies the power to make the fan spin and shows the RPM of your fan on the computer.

RGB 4pin header: 12v, Red, Green, Blue. This can be used to power and control 12v RGB analog LEDs. Though all of Corsairs fans use proprietary connectors. You would have to splice on a different connector for the RGB wire or get/build an adapter. Based off what I am reading I don't think you should do this route, until you learn a lot more about power, fans, RGB, and the motherboard.

RGB 4pin header: 12v, Red, Green, Blue. This can be used to power and control 12v RGB analog LEDs. Though all of Corsairs fans use proprietary connectors. You would have to splice on a different connector for the RGB wire or get/build an adapter. Based off what I am reading I don't think you should do this route, until you learn a lot more about power, fans, RGB, and the motherboard.

There would be more involved than just splicing. The Corsair RGB fans use 5V, not 12V. So powering them from the motherboard header would be ... disastrous.

Second, the most common RGB motherboard headers use 5050, non-addressable RGB LEDs. The protocol for controlling them is totally different from the single wire protocol for controlling the addressable LEDs in the Corsair system.

Archived