Corsair Community

H60 - High Temps

AMB

Buenas tardes integrantes del foro.

Acudo a la experiencia de ustedes debido a un problema que me surgió al montar sobre mi sistema el H60.

Ayer cambié el disipador de stock que venía con mi microprocesador para poner el nuevo H60.

Con el disipador stock tenía temperaturas del cpu entre 32ºC y 35ºC con la pc en reposo. Jugando al BF3 llegaba por arriba de los 50ºC (realmente no recuerdo exactamente el numero).

Al montar el H60 obtenía temperaturas entre los 35ºC y 42ºC. Esto me llamó la atencion, ya que teoricamente las temperaturas deberían ser mas bajas que con el disipador de stock.

Como habia puesto el fan del radiador sacando aire del gabinete, pensé q este había sido mi error, asi que lo cambié de posición haciendo q meta aire dentro del gabinete. Para mi sorpresa al iniciar, las temperaturas iban desde los 40ºC a 52ºC, y usando el BF3 llegó a los 76ºC, lo cual me dió la pauta de que algo definitivamente andaba mal.

Por lógica, volví a poner el fan del radiador sacando aire del gabinete hacia afuera y atornillé un poco más la bomba con el microprocesador, sin obtener resultados notorios. Obtuve lo mismo que la primera vez, temperaturas de entre 35ºC y 42ºC.

Como detalle, usé la pasta térmica q viene incluída en el H60.

El fan del radiador funciona, ya que saca aire del gabinete correctamente. Los demás ventiladores del gabinete también están funcionan bien.

La conexión de la ficha de la bomba está hecha al mismo lugar donde iba el disipador stock. El fan del radiador esta conectado al mismo lugar donde iba el fan de la parte trasera del gabinete.

Las temperaturas las medí con los programas: aida64, core temp, hw monitor y speed fan.

Me tiene muy preocupado este tema, ya que no encuentro solución aparente. El conexionado está bien, el fan del radiador funciona, la bomba está bien atornillada. Pero obtengo temperaturas por arriba de un disipador stock de un phenom2. No parece lógico.

La única solución que me supieron dar en el local donde realicé la compra de mi H60 fue q ajuste bien la superficie de contacto del H60 con el micro, que de hecho ya está bien ajustada. Y también que utilice en vez del fan del radiador que viene con el H60, el fan de la parte trasera que viene con el gabinete. Sinceramente, no creo que esto ultimo arregle mi problema.

Sepan disculpar la extensión del tema, quise ser lo mas claro posible y darle los datos mas precisos para quien pueda ayudarme.

Sin mas, les dejo un saludo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon members of the forum.

I appeal to you experience a problem because I came to ride on my system the H60.

Yesterday I changed the stock cooler that came with my microprocessor to put the new H60.

With the stock heatsink cpu had temperatures between 32 º C and 35 ° C with the pc at rest. Playing BF3 reached above 50 ° C (not really remember exactly the number).

When mounting the H60 obtained temperatures between 35 º C and 42 ° C. This caught my attention, since theoretically the temperatures should be lower than the stock heatsink.

As I had put the radiator fan drawing air from the cabinet, I thought this was my mistake, so I changed goal position by making the air inside the cabinet. To my surprise at the start, temperatures ranged from 40 ° C to 52 ° C, and using the BF3 reached 76 º C, which gave me the tone that something definitely was wrong.

Logically, I put the radiator fan drawing air from the cabinet and screwed out the pump a little more with the microprocessor, without noticeable results. I got the same thing the first time, temperatures between 35 º C and 42 ° C.

As a detail, I used the thermal paste q is included in the H60.

The radiator fan works, and which draws air from the cabinet properly. Other cabinet fans are also working well.

The connection of the pump tab is made to the same place was the stock heatsink. The radiator fan is connected to the same place where he was the fan on the rear of the cabinet.

I measured temperatures with the programs: aida64, core temp, fan speed monitor and hw.

I'm very concerned about this issue, as I find no apparent solution. The connection is fine, the radiator fan works, the pump is screwed on. But I get temperatures above a stock heatsink phenom2. It seems no logical.

The only way I knew how to hit the local where I purchase my H60 was surface-fitting contact with the micro H60, which is already well set. And instead of using the radiator fan that comes with the H60, the rear fan that comes with the cabinet. I honestly do not think this latest fix my problem.

Excuse know the extent of the subject, I wanted to be as clear as possible and give more accurate data for those who can help me.

No more, I leave a greeting.

The first thing i would try is to re-seat the pump head, and then turn your fan around so you are bringing cool air in from outside and NOT using air from inside the case.. See if that does not give you any better results. If you used a case fan instead of the fan that came with it , i would switch it back for the Corsair fan. Chances are it is rated for more static pressure and CFM than your case fan. That very well could have a huge impact on your temps.

BTW, your idle temps should be real close to what you saw on air. Maybe a couple of degrees cooler , but not much. Water cooling really shines under load and where you will notice the performance difference over an air cooler.

The first thing i would try is to re-seat the pump head, and then turn your fan around so you are bringing cool air in from outside and NOT using air from inside the case.. See if that does not give you any better results. If you used a case fan instead of the fan that came with it , i would switch it back for the Corsair fan. Chances are it is rated for more static pressure and CFM than your case fan. That very well could have a huge impact on your temps.

BTW, your idle temps should be real close to what you saw on air. Maybe a couple of degrees cooler , but not much. Water cooling really shines under load and where you will notice the performance difference over an air cooler.

The pump head I have not retired, but I have adjusted more than it was.

Putting the fan to allow air from outside the cabinet, I resulted in more than 10 º C temperature in general. From what I've decided to put it to remove air from the outside cabinet.

My cabinet is a HAF932, has a fan in the front air getting one at the bottom getting air, and one side also getting air from outside. And it has a fan in the top drawing air from the cabinet. So I think that the air circuit works best with the fan drawing air traser abroad, while the temperature is shown.

It should be noted that I use as the rear fan that came with the H60.

Still have not tried using the BF3 with this configuration, since the rear fan getting air from the outside reached nearly 76 ° C, so I was very dangerous for the pc.

Thanks for your feedback and help.

I apologize for my English, is not very good.

The connection of the pump tab is made to the same place was the stock heatsink. The radiator fan is connected to the same place where he was the fan on the rear of the cabinet...

Hi AMB, Your connections are not right. The H60 radiator fan should be connected to the same place as the stock heatsink, it should say "CPU Fan" on your mother board.

The pump should be connected to the "PWR Fan" or "SYS Fan" connection on your mother board.

Hola AMB, Las conexiones no están bien. El ventilador del radiador H60 deben estar conectados al mismo lugar como el disipador de calor de valores, debe decir "CPU Fan" en la placa madre.

La bomba debe conectarse a la "PWR Fan" o "SYS Fan" conexión en la placa madre.

Espero que esta traducción tiene sentido. :biggrin:

¿Es éste mejor?

Hola AMB, sus conexiones correctos. El ventilador del radiador H60 se debe conectar con el mismo lugar como el disipador de calor común, él debe decir el " CPU Fan" en su tablero de madre.

La bomba se debe conectar con el " PWR Fan" o " Sistema Fan" conexión en su tablero de madre.

Hi AMB, Your connections are not right. The H60 radiator fan should be connected to the same place as the stock heatsink, it should say "CPU Fan" on your mother board.

The pump should be connected to the "PWR Fan" or "SYS Fan" connection on your mother board.

Hello parsec.

I'll try to connect the H60 radiator where the heatsink stock was connected. And both seek the PWR Fan or SYS Fan to connect the pump.

I'll see what results I get and return to the thread to tell us.

Thank you.

I found the CPU FAN, but which is the SYS FAN or PWR FAN?

I took a photo of my mother's manual specifies Formula V where fans connectors it has.

You know tell me what the SYS or PWR FAN FAN of my mother?

I do not know if it's the CPU OPT, or CHA FAN or OPT FAN.

Here the pic:

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zpnurn.png

If you cant see the pic, the link to download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15664324/fan%20asuss.png

Does anybody know wich connector of the formula V motherboard is the "sys fan" or "pwr fan"?

That's where I should connect the pump, but I have these connectors: "opt fan", "cpu opt" and "cha fan."

At the moment is the only possible solution I can try, if it fails, I should think the H60 malfunctioning.

Help?

It would be "C" CPU_Fan.

Sorry but I don't agree Peanutz, I was just studying a manual for a very similar board, that picture does not help figure it out, but if you saw the board layout, it would make sense.

The "C", CPU_FAN is the main CPU fan header, that is where the H60's fan should be connected.

The pump can be connected to any of the "OPT fans, D, E, or F.

AMB, The main and only requirement for the pump is that is gets full power all the time, so any fan speed control on the OPT connections must be Disabled.

AMB, are you familiar with the fan settings in the BIOS, and do you use the boards software to control the fans connected to the board?

It would be "C" CPU_Fan.

I already connected the radiator fan at opt_fan and pump to cpu_fan and temperatures are not good, as explained in the first post (iddle 32°C to 38°C every core).

So I need to know if my motherboard cha_fan or opt_fan are equivalent to the sys_fan or pwr_fan.

Sorry but I don't agree Peanutz, I was just studying a manual for a very similar board, that picture does not help figure it out, but if you saw the board layout, it would make sense.

The "C", CPU_FAN is the main CPU fan header, that is where the H60's fan should be connected.

The pump can be connected to any of the "OPT fans, D, E, or F.

AMB, The main and only requirement for the pump is that is gets full power all the time, so any fan speed control on the OPT connections must be Disabled.

AMB, are you familiar with the fan settings in the BIOS, and do you use the boards software to control the fans connected to the board?

I will try to connect the pump at opt_fan and the H60`s fan at cpu_fan.

I know that from the bios you can adjust the fan speed, but still I have not changed ever.

Also I have installed on my pc on ASUS AI Suite II.

The pump head I have not retired, but I have adjusted more than it was.

Just adjusting it may not work. You need to remove, clean off teh paste and reseat. Many users have fixed the same issue by simply re mounting the head.

No worries Parsec, I mis understood the question.

Peanutz, sounds good, welcome me to the club too!

AMB, you should check the pump's speed, which should be about 4200 RPM. You should be able to see that in the BIOS, checking the reading for whatever fan connection the pump is connected to.

A PWR_FAN connection does not have any fan speed control on it, that is all that makes it different from other fan connections. I don't own your board, and we don't know if you have the fan speed control enabled for the CHA_FAN and OPT_FAN connections. So it is hard to answer your question.

If you do not have the fan speed control enabled for your CHA or OPT fans, then the pump will get full power if it is connected to any of the CHA or OPT fan connections.

I have changed places connectors.

I put the pump at opt_fan1 and the radiator fan at CPU_FAN.

But when start the pc, I get a sign saying "cpu fan error" "press F1 for setup". I press F1 and enter the bios. It marks thats speeds: 4563rpm for pump and about 1900rpm for radiator fan.

Then I can start the pc normally and the temperatures are the same.

But the Asus AI Suite II program gave me a warning error that the SB voltage was 0.162V and I turned off the pc.

That is not good, right?

I do not understand the error of the cpu fan at pc start.

Help please :(

It's because there is nothing plugged into the CPU_FAN header. So that socket is detecting a no fan or stopped fan situation and providing the warning. Reconnect the fan to the CPU_FAN header and the pump to any other header. That will clear that warning.

What the voltage warning is about, i have no clue, as the cooler will have no effect on SB voltage

It's because there is nothing plugged into the CPU_FAN header. So that socket is detecting a no fan or stopped fan situation and providing the warning. Reconnect the fan to the CPU_FAN header and the pump to any other header. That will clear that warning.

What the voltage warning is about, i have no clue, as the cooler will have no effect on SB voltage

I have reconnected the radiator fan at cpu_fan and the pump at opt_fan. At start pc still gives the same error message "CPU_FAN error".

When I entered in the bios, it shows me CPU_FAN speed in just over 1900rpm. If I look at the rear of the cabinet, the fan is pulling air.

I have changed places connectors.

I put the pump at opt_fan1 and the radiator fan at CPU_FAN.

But when start the pc, I get a sign saying "cpu fan error" "press F1 for setup". I press F1 and enter the bios. It marks thats speeds: 4563rpm for pump and about 1900rpm for radiator fan.

Then I can start the pc normally and the temperatures are the same.

But the Asus AI Suite II program gave me a warning error that the SB voltage was 0.162V and I turned off the pc.

That is not good, right?

Help please :(

Since I am not very familiar with AMD mother boards, I downloaded the manual for your Crosshair V Formula board. This is a very feature and option rich board, and it's UEFI BIOS is complex, with two operating modes (EZ and Advanced) and many settings. AMB, you must read the manual if you want to get your PC working correctly. Since there is no Spanish version of the manual, you are stuck with the English version, unless you can read Japanese, Chinese, French, or German.

The CPU Fan error might be caused by this: I'm guessing that the stock AMD CPU cooler had a three pin fan, and in the BIOS, the Fan Type setting is DC Fan, not PWM fan. Fan Type must be set to PWM for the H60's fan. Or, the boards CPU Q-Fan Control is not enabled. Those settings are in the Monitor menu.

AMB, I know you said you checked that the H60's fan is connected to the CPU_FAN connector (and NOT CPU_OPT fan) as Peanutz suggested. You must be sure it is on the CPU_FAN connector.

As Peanutz said, the warning about the SB voltage has nothing to do with your H60.

AMB, if you run the AI Suite II program at the same time as AIDA, or Speed Fan, or Core Temp, or others, AI Suite gets bad data and displays error messages that are not correct, like the SB voltage. I use AI Suite II, and have seen that happen many times when I run almost any other monitoring program. If you use AI Suite II, you must run it by itself, or you will see all kinds of errors.

AMB, you wrote earlier:

"I know that from the bios you can adjust the fan speed, but still I have not changed ever."

You must set up your CPU fan speed, you bought a fancy board and now you must set it up. You really need to learn about your board and how to use it's features, otherwise you'll have problems all the time, OK? :greengrin

Since I am not very familiar with AMD mother boards, I downloaded the manual for your Crosshair V Formula board. This is a very feature and option rich board, and it's UEFI BIOS is complex, with two operating modes (EZ and Advanced) and many settings. AMB, you must read the manual if you want to get your PC working correctly. Since there is no Spanish version of the manual, you are stuck with the English version, unless you can read Japanese, Chinese, French, or German.

The CPU Fan error might be caused by this: I'm guessing that the stock AMD CPU cooler had a three pin fan, and in the BIOS, the Fan Type setting is DC Fan, not PWM fan. Fan Type must be set to PWM for the H60's fan. Or, the boards CPU Q-Fan Control is not enabled. Those settings are in the Monitor menu.

AMB, I know you said you checked that the H60's fan is connected to the CPU_FAN connector (and NOT CPU_OPT fan) as Peanutz suggested. You must be sure it is on the CPU_FAN connector.

As Peanutz said, the warning about the SB voltage has nothing to do with your H60.

AMB, if you run the AI Suite II program at the same time as AIDA, or Speed Fan, or Core Temp, or others, AI Suite gets bad data and displays error messages that are not correct, like the SB voltage. I use AI Suite II, and have seen that happen many times when I run almost any other monitoring program. If you use AI Suite II, you must run it by itself, or you will see all kinds of errors.

AMB, you wrote earlier:

"I know that from the bios you can adjust the fan speed, but still I have not changed ever."

You must set up your CPU fan speed, you bought a fancy board and now you must set it up. You really need to learn about your board and how to use it's features, otherwise you'll have problems all the time, OK? :greengrin

I have the manual for my motherboard in my hands. I have not read completely, but I have done with the part that refers to the fans and their connectors.

I am 100% sure I connected the radiator fan to CPU_FAN.

I have enabled from the BIOS Cpu-Q fan control, and I've put in PWM mode.

I tried to set CPU_FAN speed from Asus Fan Xpert program, creating a curve on top functionality, but temperatures remain the same. Are around 32/35ºC.

I really can not think of another solution and I do not know why this happens to have these temperatures, higher than my stock heatsink.

Thanks again for your help parsec.

After setting the CPU-Q fan control enabled, I restart the pc and returned to me the error "cpu fan error" ... "Press F1 for setup" again.

Did you ever try reseating the cooling head?

So far I have not tried. That should be the last possible solution.

It would be logical if the product comes with thermal paste on, the user ought not putting new thermal paste.

Right now I'm not with the pc, when I am, I will try that.

Thanks peanutz.

AMB, Some AMD board users have reported in this forum that they improved their CPU temperatures by adjusting the pressure of the pump/heat plate. That is done by carefully tightening or loosening the thumb screws. It's important to apply even pressure on the CPU by turning the thumb screws the same number of turns. Some users have reported that using less pressure gave them better temperatures, but that will be different for each person.

Is the CPU fan running at a lower speed now, or is it still very fast? Is the pump still at about 4200 RPM? I think you have all that adjusted correctly now, or is it not right?

If you try to remount the pump/heat plate, check how the thermal paste looks on the CPU and copper heat plate. If it does not look like the contact was perfect, that could be your problem. You'll need to use fresh thermal paste if you remount the pump, use alcohol to clean the old paste off.

Do you have the CPU power saving options enabled, like Cool and Quiet? That will lower your CPU temperatures at low CPU load conditions. Are you running at the stock CPU speed? If you over clock, that will raise the CPU temperature.

Let us know what happens.

AMB, Some AMD board users have reported in this forum that they improved their CPU temperatures by adjusting the pressure of the pump/heat plate. That is done by carefully tightening or loosening the thumb screws. It's important to apply even pressure on the CPU by turning the thumb screws the same number of turns. Some users have reported that using less pressure gave them better temperatures, but that will be different for each person.

Is the CPU fan running at a lower speed now, or is it still very fast? Is the pump still at about 4200 RPM? I think you have all that adjusted correctly now, or is it not right?

If you try to remount the pump/heat plate, check how the thermal paste looks on the CPU and copper heat plate. If it does not look like the contact was perfect, that could be your problem. You'll need to use fresh thermal paste if you remount the pump, use alcohol to clean the old paste off.

Do you have the CPU power saving options enabled, like Cool and Quiet? That will lower your CPU temperatures at low CPU load conditions. Are you running at the stock CPU speed? If you over clock, that will raise the CPU temperature.

Let us know what happens.

I've already tried adjusting the pump to the microprocessor by tightening or loosening the screws. But I got no different temperatures.

The connections are now well done. The radiator fan is connected to CPU_FAN, and the pump is connected to opt_fan1.

The pump is running at all times above 4500rpm.

And sometimes radiator fan is at 1000rpm at the start. But once stabilized does not reduce its speed of 1900rpm.

The last solution I can think of is to change the thermal paste. I have already paste artic silver 5 and isopropyl alcohol (to remove the old thermal paste).

I have disabled the option Cool & Quiet. The microprocessor is running at stock speed.

I will try adding a fan over the radiator fan and see if the temperatures drop (I will try a push-pull). If they do not, I'll have to check the thermal paste.

Take off pump/heatsink clean woth alcohol thoroughly and use a pea size drop of as5 or whatever thermal paste you prefer in the center of the cpu, center the pump/heatsink up and press firmly to seal the pump/heatsink to the cpu before tightening retaining clips. Keep one hand firm holding it down while tightening retaining clips with the other. Stock you should not be breaking 40-45° max with AMD.

I've already tried adjusting the pump to the microprocessor by tightening or loosening the screws. But I got no different temperatures.

Take off pump/heatsink clean woth alcohol thoroughly and use a pea size drop of as5 or whatever thermal paste you prefer in the center of the cpu, center the pump/heatsink up and press firmly to seal the pump/heatsink to the cpu before tightening retaining clips. Keep one hand firm holding it down while tightening retaining clips with the other. Stock you should not be breaking 40-45° max with AMD.

So far I have not tried. That should be the last possible solution.

Actually it one of the first troubleshooting steps recomended and cures a lot of temp issues. I'm not trying to sound mean or disrespectful, but if you are not going to try what is suggested it makes it really hard on our end to help.

I did a push-pull with the radiator fan, using the rear fan that came with my haf932.

I have obtained iddle temperatures between 30ºC and 32°C, and full load using BF3 or crysis2, temperatures have reached 48°C.

These values ​​are fairly accurate?

Actually it one of the first troubleshooting steps recomended and cures a lot of temp issues. I'm not trying to sound mean or disrespectful, but if you are not going to try what is suggested it makes it really hard on our end to help.

I fully understand peanutz. The thing is I never change the thermal paste to a cpu, so I'm no expert on that, and would like to avoid reaching it, for fear the temperatures result in an error worse than I think I have.

AMB, Changing the paste is not that difficult, once you do it you'll tell yourself, why didn't I do this before? We are thinking that you did not get good contact between the pump and CPU, which is common, and is why we keep pushing you to check that.

Feel free to do whatever you like, but disabling Cool and Quiet just raises your idle CPU temperatures. How can that radiator fan still be running at 1900 RPM? I'm sorry, but those AMD BIOS settings for the fans are just overly complex on your board, it seems.

AMB, don't give up and don't get mad or frustrated. Aren't there any AMD board users in this forum that can help with this?

Archived