Corsair Community

Keyboard Electrocutes Me

Bobey

Hello there, K95 RGB Platinum user,

As the title says, is that normal, that the keyboard's frame electrocutes me whenever I touch it?

It's not that the keyboard literally electrocutes me to death, but it really is noticeable -- uncomfortable and worrying. It feels like ants... like ants were biting me or something... sounds weird, but you get the idea.

It applies to the whole frame, wherever there is the aluminum. With that being said, it also applies to the volume control, as it is also metalic.

I even tried touching the frame with voltage detector pen and the results were positive -- barely~visible only in few specific spots, but positive, so it's not just me having superpowers of some sort...

Should it be like this? Should I be worried? I'm nice to my keyboard, why does it not like me?

Hello there, K95 RGB Platinum user,

As the title says, is that normal, that the keyboard's frame electrocutes me whenever I touch it?

It's not that the keyboard literally electrocutes me to death, but it really is noticeable -- uncomfortable and worrying. It feels like ants... like ants were biting me or something... sounds weird, but you get the idea.

It applies to the whole frame, wherever there is the aluminum. With that being said, it also applies to the volume control, as it is also metalic.

I even tried touching the frame with voltage detector pen and the results were positive -- barely~visible only in few specific spots, but positive, so it's not just me having superpowers of some sort...

Should it be like this? Should I be worried? I'm nice to my keyboard, why does it not like me?

Hey Bobey,

No that is DEF not normal. I know exactly what you mean. Positive result also means that something is not grounded.

But it may not be the keyboard. First have a look at your computer. How old it ? In fact, start RIGHT from the wall socket itself. Did you ever change out your wall plug, as in upgrade it? If not, move onto the next check....Is your computer connected to a surge protector? If so, how old is that? If wall socket and pc is plugged into the wall, move on to the next check.

Did you build your computer yourself ? If so, then there may be a short at the motherboard source. Reason I say this is because I had a similar problem a with my previous build. If I tried to connect a device, like an external drive, or a usb to any of the USB outlets on my build, my pc would just shut down. . . it was doing a hard reset. I could never figure it out. I thought it might be one of my peripherals, like my keyboard, or my mouse, or my BluRay drive, or even the case perhaps.

It wasn't my peripherals because I just did a new build and put the same components into my new build. . . . NO issues whatsoever. So it would seem that it was more than likely my mobo. You know the offests that the mobo is sitting on?...those small threaded brass pins that keep the mobo from touching the back plate of the case? Well, if any of those are touching a solder point or other part of the pcb, that would cause a short.

One last thing you can look at as well; Open up your case and take a close look at all your wires. Again, if there is a bare wire that is touching the case in any way, that could cause a short or cause pieces of metal to be "charged". . give you that tingly, electrified feel when you touch the keyboard. Check the wires and plugs of the keyboard itself for any cuts, frays, etc.

Does anyone else mess with your rig? Anyway, hope this helps. Check that stuff out and post what, if anything you may have found out. Add onto this thread. I'm really interested in what is causing this.

Mike

Thank you for replying,

My computer is less than one year old, about 6 months I think?

I have a custom-made PC, ordered in computer shop, where they help pick components and build it all for you. With that being said, I've never made any changes myself- never touched anything- just got it and plugged things in.

Wall Socket

The wall socket hmm... To be honest I don't know. In fact, I've replaced the case with a new one during home renovation, but it behaves normally I think. I have/had few other things plugged in there, nothing extraordinary.

Surge Protector

Yes, my PC as well as other hardware are plugged into surge protector from Tracer. It's .. also relatively new; around one year or something. Currently there are three devices connected: PC, Monitor and TV, where monitor also seems to have that problem with its back panel (its metalic parts to be more specific), though it deals more lightning damage and also has a knockback effect, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps that's where the problem occurs? If the monitor deals damage, then it's not PC's fault, as it starts sooner than that - surge protector or previous steps. However, the monitor is connected with PC via DP>HDMI adapter + HDMI cable, so to make sure the problem doesn't come from the PC, I'll unplug the HDMI cable and see how it behaves with only the power cable connected...

*testing...*

Yep, the problem also occurs on the monitor itself without any connection to PC, unless it is supposed to be like this.

I've poked metalic things on the back panel and everything was giving solid positive results.

For example, touching any of the following port's parts was giving positive results:

Q3doPy9.png

Note: This is a random image from wikipedia, though the port is almost the same. The image is used only as a reference.

Touching HDMI port was giving positive results as well.

Not sure if things should be like this, I'm not an electrician, so if something I don't know is actually obvious, feel free to correct me.

So.. I think that leaves lower range in regards of potential source of the problem.

To get more specific to this step, I have a pretty weird configuration, due to lack of free wall sockets.

My devices are plugged into surge protector, that is plugged into electric extension with 3 sockets, that is plugged into the wall socket.

A reference with random images:

TRB1RqE.png

Is this a terrible idea? Should I check plugging things into other wall sockets? Or... plugging the monitor itself into another surge protector I have plugged directly into another wall socket and see what results it gives?

Either way, going further..

PC Itself

There, the whole back panel with all the ports (USB etc.) shows positive results when poked with that pen - not even barely- but it shows a solid positive result on the whole surface, as it is all metalic, unlike the monitor, that only the sockets/ports have metalic parts. The back panel of PC electrocutes me more than the keyboard (though back panel on the monitor still takes the win). That panel comes straight from the motherboard asus prime b250-plus. No modifications were made to it, it's all new and put as it was.

If the previous step isn't the thing, then I may take a closer look at the wires...

Thank you for your time.

Hey, hey!

I get a static discharge as well when I return to the desk and have picked up static around the house. When I sit down and my right thumb touches the metal housing the led/keys as I grab the mouse, I receive a discharge if I still carry static electricity from carpets, etc.

So you're not the only one. I've had to put more water in the humidifier during the winter to add more moisture into the air. The keyboard discharge isn't much of a shock as it is when it gets discharged flipping a light switch :p

Static discharge would not feel like ants on skin. You get that with a sustained charge, and so I am guessing the grounding for the KB or USB port it's plugged into is faulty. Try other ports, especially in another machine. If it continues, then I'd have to say it's the keyboard, and it should be replaced.

He says he gets it on any item plugged into the surge suppressor or the extension cord. The problem lies with one of those two items. He says if he touches the metal part of anything plugged in he can feel the current. OP needs to get rid of either the surge suppressor now or the extension cord now before he does get electrocuted. Do not mess around.

First order of business is to determine that his wall socket's ground is indeed grounded. If not, then anything plugged into it will not be. If it is, then work your way testing the surge suppressor and extension cords, until you isolate the issue.

To test the wall socket, put positive lead into ground, and then have the negative lead touch something metallic (and not an electronic). If you get voltage, then you have a short in your ground. (It should read Zero). If that's ok, then test one of your live sockets with negative tip, and place the positive to ground socket. You should read your local house voltage. If it's significantly less, then you have a partially functioning ground. If you get zero voltage, or close to it, then your ground isn't working.

I was checking few things and waited for a while. It seems, that the keyboard by itself stopped doing this for some time now.

Nevertheless, I believe there has to be something wrong with the wall sockets, rather than the keyboard itself -- similar things practically happen all over the place in my house. The next time I'll be doing home renovation, it would be best to replace the whole installation.

Either way, let's say, that fixing this isn't possible at the moment - is there any way to get around it? Also, while we're talking about electricity; I'm looking for a better way to protect my PC (voltage stabilizer / PC Battery Backup of some sort) -- would you recommend any of these? What would be the best installation?

• 1 month later...

Actually I've been wondering on getting a UPS; how exactly does that work?

Should this replace the surge protector or should I use both? What should I know about it before purchasing one?

Thanks in advance.

Wow, so not only do you have things like needing to re-plug the keyboard for the CAPSLOCK etc. lights to come on, but your keyboards are giving users a sustained static electricty charge? Bravo Corsair, WONDERFUL engineering. Christ...did you do ANY hardware/software testing before releasing these peripherals onto the market?

Archived