The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) 1.x and 2.x

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM
GamerDude686's PC Specs

POST ID # = 931016
GamerDude686 Reputation: 10

I tried to attempt to use the disable from device manager to see if disabling and re-enabling the keyboard would fix the steam freeze issue without the nonsense of unplugging and re-plugging. But for some odd reason in Windows 10 device manager I am unable to disable any keyboard device. This goes for any keyboard at all as I can not disable the old Logitech either. Mice and controllers I can disable Keyboards I cannot. So looks like I cannot use this fix until I can find resolve the issue of Windows not allowing keyboard disables. Thanks for the information anyhow.

My patience with Corsair has just about ran it's course. It's been over four months now and they still have not resolved the steam/controller freezing issues. This hardly shows a company that cares for it's customers. More like take the money and run.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM
unilythe's PC Specs

POST ID # = 931062
unilythe Reputation: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerDude686 View Post
I tried to attempt to use the disable from device manager to see if disabling and re-enabling the keyboard would fix the steam freeze issue without the nonsense of unplugging and re-plugging. But for some odd reason in Windows 10 device manager I am unable to disable any keyboard device. This goes for any keyboard at all as I can not disable the old Logitech either. Mice and controllers I can disable Keyboards I cannot. So looks like I cannot use this fix until I can find resolve the issue of Windows not allowing keyboard disables. Thanks for the information anyhow.

My patience with Corsair has just about ran it's course. It's been over four months now and they still have not resolved the steam/controller freezing issues. This hardly shows a company that cares for it's customers. More like take the money and run.
Completely agree. A lot of reports that CUE specifically causes this. uninstalling CUE fixes the issue, reinstalling CUE brings the issue back. 4 months ago they were working on it. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by unilythe; 12-18-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:09 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 931109
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerDude686 View Post

Unfortunately our hands are tied at this point. We reached out to Valve to have them review the issue but they have not replied after we've sent them hardware for testing. We've reviewed everything on our end but without reference to what could be causing the issue from Steam, there isn't anything we can do at the moment.

iCUE - A CORSAIR Interface
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Thunder350's PC Specs

POST ID # = 931241
Thunder350 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
Unfortunately our hands are tied at this point. We reached out to Valve to have them review the issue but they have not replied after we've sent them hardware for testing. We've reviewed everything on our end but without reference to what could be causing the issue from Steam, there isn't anything we can do at the moment.
Thanks for the update! It's disappointing that Valve isn't communicating with you guys on the progress (if any) that they've made attempting to resolve this issue these last few months.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 AM
GamerDude686's PC Specs

POST ID # = 931921
GamerDude686 Reputation: 10

Quote:
I'm beginning to think the issue may be three fold in that also Microsoft is involved with Windows 10 updates. I was finally able to get the keyboard to not freeze Steam. However I had to do like Metriad suggested in his post. Every single item in the device manager under human interface devices/usb input except for the two that will not/cannot be disabled and the one labeled Xinput.

However this has very undesirable side effects in that it turns your gaming keyboard into a basic dumb keyboard. None of the macro keys nor none of the multimedia keys will work. However the freezing is gone and you do not have to unplug and re-plug the keyboard to use steam.

So the problem lies within the HID drivers somewhere, somehow. Im willing to bet its with ones labeled as vendor-defined device.

Anyhow because of the time it is taking and issue unresolved after 5 long months. I have already purchased a non Corsair branded gaming keyboard and not had a single issue.

I will periodically check in tho to see if and when this issue is ever fixed because I do like my K55 keyboard as it has full LED colors that goes well with my gaming PC.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:12 PM

POST ID # = 931937
Whayle Reputation: 10
Default I having this issue as well

I'm having this issue as well, and just exiting CUE from the task bar solves the problem.

It's disappointing that there is no progress on this after all this time. If Corsair can't fix this issue, they should at least clearly inform customers. It took me two months to figure this out!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:49 PM

POST ID # = 932021
mascarpwn Reputation: 10

Quote:
Hi James,

Could you please also give us an update on why the latest version of CUE makes the system lag? Whenever I open up CUE my refresh rates jumps from 144 to below 10 and continues to fluctuate until I close it (not completely, since it's still active on the task bar)

Old 12-25-2017, 11:09 AM

POST ID # = 932251
s7atblakk Reputation: 10

its not steams fault, I have some games i play without steam just straight from the exe and they hang up upon launch, just got this keyboard yesterday. when i unplug it the games work. please fix issue, i dont want a logitech tbh.
edit; my keyboard is a k55
another edit; just realizing how far back this thread goes, doubt they'll update anything, really sad to see considering its my first time buying a product from this company. I'm probably gonna have to return this and not deal with corsair again. Shame because it is a good feeling keyboard and really nice looking but this is ridiculous.

Last edited by s7atblakk; 12-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:34 AM

POST ID # = 932320
s7atblakk Reputation: 10

so i found the problem is in device manager
HID Keyboard device driver 10.0.16299.15 appears 4 times, deleting the last one lets me load darksouls but the load is still incredibly slow. When I uninstalled all drivers and cue and unplugged the keyboard it loaded up perfectly. Driver hasnt been updated since 2006. Can something be done about this. Why are you still selling this keyboard if this is a known issue all year long?

Old 01-03-2018, 02:44 AM
Metriad's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933476
Metriad Reputation: 10

Glad I was able to help but as GamerDude said it totally isn't desirable. It's practically overpaying for a basic keyboard/mouse. I really like Corsair products but this is a little ridiculous, they should disclose that CUE has issues. Please James, the issue must be related to all the extra "HID compliant consumer control devices" and "USB input devices" I mentioned in my earlier post. I'm doubting it's directly linked to Steam or W10. (P.S. to anyone who is looking for a temporary fix check my earlier post in this thread)

Last edited by Metriad; 01-03-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:09 PM
rawkee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933757
rawkee Reputation: 10

Been having a similar issue for a long time, Steam won't crash.. but it will not be responsive sometimes. Usually I load up rocket league and discover my controller doesn't work.

My fix is one I saw on this forum.. I have to press F1+Store button to put the keyboard into BIOS mode, this disables my color profile that's running (and sometimes this has already crashed,) then I wait a few seconds and hit F1+Store again to bring it back. Then my xbox controller works.

Doesn't matter if it's my hard wired xbox one controller, or the old xbox 360 controller on a wireless adapter. I actually replaced the entire controller and upgraded to the xbox one controller trying to fix this issue.

But it is definitely something to do with the keyboard, software, or driver. It is clearly at fault. If anyone needs any info from me or can troubleshoot with me, I can reproduce the issue usually every few days easily.

Corsair James I don't think working with Steam is going to change anything, my controller stops working everywhere when this happens. Steam issues are probably a red herring.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:50 PM
hastegag's PC Specs

POST ID # = 933956
hastegag Reputation: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkee View Post
Corsair James I don't think working with Steam is going to change anything, my controller stops working everywhere when this happens. Steam issues are probably a red herring.
FWIW everyone, not sure if this is helpful, but I have steam and don't game that often, but certainly often enough to see if there's a problem and I do not have one.

On a win 10 x64 N Pro box running the latest updates (Fall creators updated included), I use steam and both the steam controller and the ps4 dual shock either wired or wireless with DS4 (when i feel like setting that up) and I have not experienced these issues ever alongside a full suite of a Polaris mouse pad, 7.1 void wireless (non pro), scimitar, M65 RGB, K95 refurb old model, and an ST100 on various CUE 2 versions. Nor do i have an issue when I use the steam link although admittedly that is a rarity. running a much older asrock z68 mobo and 2600k i7 sandy bridge and 32gb ddr3 (that i think is badly matched) and an asus GTX 1080ti. Running American Megatrends Bios P2.30 (which is waay old circa 2012)

My steam controller has the most updated firmware and I have only tested it recently on the latest steam and the latest CUE and the latest windows, but again, no issues to report. I had seen this thread and hesitated to plug in my steam controller when I got it about a month ago :) but it works fine using the wireless USB "radio" plugged directly into a front panel port.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Stratofied's PC Specs

POST ID # = 934740
Stratofied Reputation: 10
Default An Update of sorts

Confirmed to be caused by the presence of CUE so far;

1. Steam crashing when plug/unplug a controller
2. Rocket League takes a long time to detect the controller after launching the game, several minutes most times.
3. Dark Souls 3 goes to a black screen when launched, sometimes it will progress eventually after a very long time, other times it does not.
4. Blizzard launcher takes 4-6x longer to launch than it should, usually around 1 full minute.

Reinstalling windows did not help, as soon as CUE was installed all the issues returned immediately. As of now I have completely removed CUE from my system, I have gone back to using my Razer Naga and
continue to use my K70 without CUE, so no lighting or customization. This is a real shame as I can no longer recommend corsair peripherals to any of my users. This issue extends beyond Steam, and Corsair
needs to acknowledge that and track down the root cause in their Software/drivers instead of pushing the blame onto Steam and acting helpless.

Last edited by Stratofied; 01-10-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 935659
Corsair Nick Reputation: 39

Got an update for everyone on this issue. As James has stated before, and I want to re-affirm that we have reached out to Valve when the issue popped up, and went as far as to send them products so they could perform their own in-house testing to speed up the trouble shooting process. Unfortunately we haven't received any responses to requests for updates.

What we have found through our own rigorous testing is that Steam will continuously poll all USB devices looking for controllers once you start the program. This causes HID devices to get confused as to which program takes priority and which to respond to, and will cause hangs or crashes with either Steam or CUE. If a fix is possible through CUE, we will provide it once available.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM
hastegag's PC Specs

POST ID # = 935749
hastegag Reputation: 20

although i said i was having no issues, i did notice certain steam games are not recognizing the steam controller (mainly Ubisoft's Steep even when run through steam, but other games are also not appearing to fully support the controller when they have no issue with the Dualshock). I suppose it is possible it is related, but i've had no crashes

Closed Thread

Tags
crash, cue, keyboard, steam