Corsair Community

H100i cabling?

TacticalTimbo

In the midst of planning how to setup an H110, and just wanted to gain some clarity on the cabling layout, before I go ahead and install it.

Basically the manual is a bit scant when it come to cabling directions, and most of my understanding comes from other threads I've read on this forum.

For the fans it's best to use the fan headers of the motherboard, I will use CPU, and CPUopt on my Rampage IV Extreme...

For the pump, it's my understanding that it needs a constant 12v supply, and that it's best to connect it direct to the PSU via molex to ensure it gets this? However I will need to buy a 3pin to Molex adapter, and would just like clarity on which of the following will be okay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PSU-Molex-4-pin-to-3-pin-12V-Fan-Socket-Cable-Convertor-/180409187115?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2a0139bb2b (bit messy, and don't like the non-black colouring)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Molex-IDE-4-to-3-pin-CPU-Chasis-Fan-Power-Adapter-Cable-/190889551462?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c71e76666 (cleaner design, but still not all black)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-pin-molex-to-3-pin-PC-fan-adapter-cable-PC-Modding-/190889551484?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c71e7667c (all black, but only 2 wires; will this be sufficient?)

Just realised, I've named the thread incorrectly; I'm talking of the H110, not H100i.

Is there a way to rename the thread?

Any news on whether all three wires are needed, of if two is okay? The wire coming out of the pump has three... I take it the missing one on some of these adaptors is the ground?

This looks lovely though, braided! might only be two wire though;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phobya-300mm-4-Pin-Molex-to-3-Pin-Fan-Sleeved-Cable-Black-/321099075140?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4ac2ff0e44

Linus recommend hooking it to the CPU fan header, but I read in another thread that the right way is to connect it directly to the PSU; this was confirmed by RAMGUY.

I suppose I could fix the BIOS to send a fixed 12 volts to the CPU header, but I'm not certain how easy this is (never do it), if it will be accurate and I'm prone to wiping the BIOS settings, so may forget to put it back...

What is right!?

The point to connect it to the CPU fan header is so that the RPM is reported to the system. If the pump ever stops or fails the motherboard will shutdown rather overheating.

If you connect it to the PSU then your motherboard will not be able to monitor the RPM and shutdown the system if the pump stops or fails.

The voltage/PWM control can be disabled in the BIOS for the CPU header.

The point to connect it to the CPU fan header is so that the RPM is reported to the system. If the pump ever stops or fails the motherboard will shutdown rather overheating.

If you connect it to the PSU then your motherboard will not be able to monitor the RPM and shutdown the system if the pump stops or fails.

The voltage/PWM control can be disabled in the BIOS for the CPU header.

I had pondered that, just figured the Intel thermal shut-off was built-in for that. It's unlikely to fail; still, it can, and will some day...

If I want to do it that way, I'll need one of these instead;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30cm-PWM-4-pin-Y-Splitter-Fan-Power-Cable-Black-Sleeved-BNIB-/190814970402?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c6d756222

That's to avoid trailing one of the fan cables across the board! Plus it would allow both to receive the same instruction.

I had pondered that, just figured the Intel thermal shut-off was built-in for that. It's unlikely to fail; still, it can, and will some day...

If I want to do it that way, I'll need one of these instead;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30cm-PWM-4-pin-Y-Splitter-Fan-Power-Cable-Black-Sleeved-BNIB-/190814970402?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c6d756222

That's to avoid trailing one of the fan cables across the board! Plus it would allow both to receive the same instruction.

I was just about to ask why should you buy that cable then I realized that your talking about the H110 and not the 100i.

I would actually invest in one of those PSU to PWM cables

SATA to 5 PWM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-079-AK

You can connect all 4 fans in push/pull connected to the H110 plus an additional fan maybe the front intake. Just remember if it is the rear fan to the back of the case set it to intake if the H110 is mounted in the roof on exhaust.

Linus recommend hooking it to the CPU fan header, but I read in another thread that the right way is to connect it directly to the PSU; this was confirmed by RAMGUY.

Can you post the thread where you read this? That is for the H100 and 100i's and other units where they supply either a molex or SATA connector for power..

The H110 is supposed to be connected to the MB header for power. There is no need to connect it directly to the PSU or buy any kind of adapter.

You don't want to connect it to the PSU anyway. As Specter pointed out , it the cooler ever fails you would have no way of knowing. because it will not trigger the MB error if it's connected directly to the PSU.

If you wanted to run your fans off one of those adapters that would be okay, but i would advise against running the pump from it.

Can you post the thread where you read this? That is for the H100 and 100i's and other units where they supply either a molex or SATA connector for power..

The H110 is supposed to be connected to the MB header for power. There is no need to connect it directly to the PSU or buy any kind of adapter.

You don't want to connect it to the PSU anyway. As Specter pointed out , it the cooler ever fails you would have no way of knowing. because it will not trigger the MB error if it's connected directly to the PSU.

If you wanted to run your fans off one of those adapters that would be okay, but i would advise against running the pump from it.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=121430

If you read closely, you'll see the op mentions he can't alter the pwm settings, and RAMGUY says he is correct to use a converter, and connect it directly to the PSU. Also I think Tom Logan (OC3DTV) mentions you're better off doing this in one of his YouTube vids...

As for the fan splitter, unfortunately I've already gone a bought the one I linked to in my last post. tbh though, I don't have immediate plans for push/pull, and thinking about it, I'd have to mod my Storm Trooper, as the handle blocks the fan placement. Also, I think the y splitter is tidier, and I love that it's black all the way to the connector!

I did find it pretty annoying that the kit forces you to sandwich the fans between the rad and case; it made mounting the thing massively fiddly. It does have screw points on both sides of the rad, it just lacks the additional screws needed (unlike H100/H100i)!? Does anybody know where I could source the perfect set of screws (I'd need a short set, to mount the rad to the chassis)?

Maybe Corsair could send a set; I'd be okay with covering the cost...?

That would be for a board that has no fan control over the header. I know your board does indeed have the ability to control the fan header to whatever setting you would want.

Just set that header to run at 100% all the time.

There are some circumstances where the standard installation procedure can't be folowed.

If you choose to run it like that , thats entirely up to you. I just don't want others to read this thread and think this is the correct way for their particular system when it doesn't apply to all of them out there. He was also running an older dual CPU server board. So his application was unorthodox from the beginning.

Does anybody know where I could source the perfect set of screws (I'd need a short set, to mount the rad to the chassis)?

Maybe Corsair could send a set; I'd be okay with covering the cost...?

They don't carry a short set. They do have the longer 1.25in screws. But you can find them at most hardware stores.Hobby store or home improvement centers. The thread pitch is 6/32 and you would want screws no longer than 3/8' long to go directly to the case.

Also I think Tom Logan (OC3DTV) mentions you're better off doing this in one of his YouTube vids...
Just keep in mind your mb will not report CPU errors , so if your unit fails you will have no idea until possibly too late. Well, it may report one right off the bat because the pump would not be detected at start-up, but after that if the pump fails....

If the person on YT chooses to do so, that doesn't make it right or the way Corsair intended it to be. I personally don't hold much stock in very many YT vids. There are just too many people with their own ideas of what is right and wrong and not necessarily how it's supposed to be.

Just typed this all out, but the Windows Snipping Tool got stuck in snipping mode, and I couldn't get Task Manager to show; I could however restart!?

Anywhoo, I've got the system up and running... I've attached the pump to the header labeled CPU_FAN, and the two fans are connected via Y splitter, to CPU_OPT.

I've installed Asus Fan Xpert, in the hope I can control the behaviour of these two headers. However, I can only see CPU Fan, and Chassis Fan listed!? Does this mean the two headers can't be operated separately; are they joined at the hip!?

Also odd, is that the fan speed is listed as being virtually identical, regardless of the power level. This is obviously not the case, as I can hear the fans ramping up, as power levels increase, or when I change the profile. Is this because of the pump on CPU_Fan, being lumped in with the fans connected via CPU_OPT? (see attachment)

FanXpert.JPG.befae4685ceee3be41669488a460a392.JPG

I've installed Asus Fan Xpert, in the hope I can control the behaviour of these two headers. However, I can only see CPU Fan, and Chassis Fan listed!? Does this mean the two headers can't be operated separately; are they joined at the hip!?

Yes, you should be able to control them independently. If you can't there has to be a setting within the software to give you that control.

Also odd, is that the fan speed is listed as being virtually identical, regardless of the power level. This is obviously not the case, as I can hear the fans ramping up, as power levels increase, or when I change the profile. Is this because of the pump on CPU_Fan, being lumped in with the fans connected via CPU_OPT? (see attachment)

Thats because that is not your fans. That would be the pump speed and that remains a constant speed no matter what.

You need to look for the CPU_OPT tag and that would be your fan speed. If the connections from your cooler are the only two connections you have made to the MB , then your fans are showing as "chassis fan" in your software. It's not uncommon for headers to be mis-labled or different from what it's actually called on your MB.

Thats because that is not your fans. That would be the pump speed and that remains a constant speed no matter what.

You need to look for the CPU_OPT tag and that would be your fan speed. If the connections from your cooler are the only two connections you have made to the MB , then your fans are showing as "chassis fan" in your software. It's not uncommon for headers to be mis-labled or different from what it's actually called on your MB.

There isn't even a CPU_OPT listed in the BIOS, let alone Fan Xpert.

If CPU_OPT isn't lumped in with CPU_FAN, then why does adjusting CPU_FAN cause the Fans that are attached to CPU_OPT to ramp up!?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived