Corsair Community

H90 pump speed and pwm question

jacoro1

Hello-

I recently installed an H90 cooler and connected the pump to the CPU fan socket on my motherboard (ASUS Rampage V). Fan monitoring in BIOS was reporting it as running at around 1200 RPM. This seemed a little low as the H80i I have in a different machine runs around 2200RPM. I changed the CPU fan setting from "PWM" to "DC" in BIOS fan control, and the RPM went to 1500 but emits kind of a gravelly hum at that speed. If I enable PWM again and drop the speed slightly the hum goes away and it doesn't seem to impact temperature.

My questions are:

1. What is the max speed of this pump supposed to be? Is 1500RPM normal or should I be concerned?

2. Is it ok to run the pump at variable speeds? I have read elsewhere that it is supposed to be constant. I would really rather run at the slightly reduced RPM where it is silent, but don't want to kill my pump.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Also around 2200 RPM is the normal constant speed of the pump. It can fluctuate a bit, but defintely not down to 1500 RPM.

I tried connecting my pump to all connectors on the MB and they are all set to Full speed but I'm still seeing 1500rpm from the Pump on the BIOS and all apps that can monitor that kind of info.

Are you sure the H90 pump is supposed to run at 2200rpm and not 1500?

thanks.

So my workstation here at Corsair uses an H90 and I went to check the pump RPM. The pump RPM was 900, which is definitely too low. So thanks to this thread, I caught a personal oversight. ;)

The correct pump speed for the H90 is ~1500rpm.

Thank you! I can now rest in peace :P

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived