Corsair Community

Corsair. Are you ever gonna fix the high CPU usage?

On topic though - my simple solution still works very well. Disable iCue on startup, save all lighting and fan settings to the hardware, and simply run the software if I want to make changes.

Is there an easy way to copy the current lightning to the hardware lightning tab

I have a profile (on the box static) and using a K70 RGB MK.2

EDIT: doing it manually now, and i'm one lighting effect short, I have 6, keyboards supports 5, not fun

EDIT: solved, had to make some comprimise, ICUE is now closed and won't start anymore, until they fixed it, which I doubt will happen anytime soon

Edited by EnterpriseNL

• Corsair Employee
So, that means that for Ryzen you will also fix the no sleep issues with Icue?

Correct. In fact, the Ryzen idle/sleep issue and High CPU usage issue are on top of the list right now. And just for an update, we're currently testing different iCUE versions internally for the purpose of addressing those issues. I haven't seen the results yet, but I have a good feeling that we're on the right direction.

Not my post you quoted, but the Corsair KB repeating keys has been an issue ever since you guys started making mechanical keyboards. I've had 5 or 6 different Corsair mechanicals, and iirc ALL of them have started repeating keys after a week or two of ownership (at least MX Brown & Red). Can't remember if my Corsair with MX Blue did it.

So why do I keep buying them? Because they can take the most beating. I've tried so many brands, and Corsair builds the keyboards very tough. But the day I find an even tougher brand, I'm gone. That's because of the repeating keys issue.

On topic though - my simple solution still works very well. Disable iCue on startup, save all lighting and fan settings to the hardware, and simply run the software if I want to make changes.

My bad, didn't realize it wasn't your post. Thanks for sharing both good and bad experience with our KB. Tbh, I have seen those repeat keys reports a few years back, and I swear I thought we've got that all sorted by now. I don't think that it is wide spread as I haven't seen any feedback related to that lately, but I will check other chatters, including marketplace reviews and see if others are experiencing this.

yeah I agree on how tough Corsair KBs are.. I know that myself because I am still using our first gen K70 for both work and gaming, just a workhorse and never skips a beat.

Correct. In fact, the Ryzen idle/sleep issue and High CPU usage issue are on top of the list right now. And just for an update, we're currently testing different iCUE versions internally for the purpose of addressing those issues. I haven't seen the results yet, but I have a good feeling that we're on the right direction.

Can't wait, will install Icue when it's fixed, can you update us when there is a new update out with the fix included?

Edited by EnterpriseNL

Fantastic news Greybeard! If you could poke them to give us simple tickboxes to turn off options we arent using to save resources, that'd be amazing and prevent this sort of thing in the future.

(Those of us with just a headset, dont need temp monitoring loaded and running, etc)

I'd like to share my partial solution to this problem:-

The high CPU is even worse for me with the latest update to v3.20.80. I'm now getting 3.5 to 5% in the background and 7.5 to 10% when running the interface on a new i7-7700. This sort of thing has been going on for years and I'm sick of it and gotten to a point where I want to just uninstall and say goodbye to some of my mouse and keyboard functionality. Besides, I'm an old guy and I don't need half of that childish rainbow eye-candy. I don't need my system to look like something from Pink Fluffy Unicorns. What's held me back is I use functionality like sniper mode on my mouse and some of those extra keys and macros on the keyboard.

Here is what I did:

> Select the mouse

> Click the hamburger menu to the right of Profiles

> Click the memory card button which saves to device

This will allow you to kill iCUE while retaining the mouse functionality. You can uncheck Start on system startup in the settings menu. The Corsair services stay running and still use a bit more CPU than you'd expect from a keyboard and mouse (I can't speak for other devices) but a lot less than iCUE.

Unfortunately, the option to Save to Device is not available for the keyboard, or at least not my case (a K55). I'm just going to have to lose that functionality until Corsair sorts this out ... or until I need a new set and try some other brand. 😪

because iCUE is natively 32 bit. Saves on having two versions of the program i guess. If the dev resources are limited (and they clearly are) that avoids losing time on something that would make virtually no difference to us.

Edit : i received my new work laptop. went from an old 2C4T i5 to a 6c12T i7, CPU usage mathematically dropped from 16% to 3%. Had to force iCue to not use the Quadro chip to save some battery but it still hogs the Intel iGPU at a constant 30% when opened on the main page. Up to 70% when showing rainbow wave on the keyboard page. Maybe a slower refresh rate for the display would make it less intensive. After all, we see the smooth lighting on the keyboard itself. If it runs at 10 fps on iCue instead of 30 or 60, i wouldn't mind.

Having just Corsair service running still allows all cores to throttle down normally (i disabled LLA and headset), but launching iCue on top of it keeps at least 2 active.

Edited by LeDoyen
  • Confused 1

HARDWARE acceleration IS reasonable....GPU acceleration is completely unnecessary for software designed to control lights and fans. office and web browsers are basically design/productivity and multipurpose/consumption softwares. add to that the fact that multipoint STILL doesn't exist in the mainstream versions and is only available in a beta version that is ALMOST impossible to find.....well, i think you see where this is going. they really need to address the issues that matter and stop worrying about it being "PRETTY." certainly not trying to start anything, just my $.02 on corsair's bumbling of what could be a really nice and useful piece of system control software. i could even point out that their osd implementation should include the ability to overlay selected temps in games, but i'm more upset about resource usage and lack of functional multipoint. don't get me wrong, i love my corsair devices. virtuoso, dark core rgb pro se, k65, commander pro, ml120s, vengeance rgb pro....etc. they work wonderfully...until i load up their control software. i just wish i could have multipoint and my custom eq without having the ridiculously extra system load. if all that worked, i wouldn't care if i had to use command line interface to do it...lol. Edited by jedi1025

GPU acceleration *is* hardware acceleration... and that only seems to be active when you're viewing iCue itself, that goes away when its minimised or closed. Thats how browsers behave, so its fairly normal.

The damn thing broke Gsync for people because it locked to 24Hz, so theres definitely some oddities and room for changing how its implemented.

I'm having the same issue with my newly built Ryzen 5 3600 system. With iCUE open (even with Corsair Service disabled) my voltage hovers around 1.4v, it even slightly passed 1.45v for a moment. Doesn't seem to go below 1.38v. The MOMENT I close iCUE, however, it quickly drops to the 1.2's and keeps dropping, ending up in the 1.0's. Please let me know when this is fixed, because I'm going to have to uninstall iCUE until then and lose out on a lot of functionality for my K70 Lux keyboard.

• Corsair Employee
UN-usable.

I have stop iCue to be able to run sensitive programs.

Maybe they could make iCue Lite for one or two macros.

Too processor heavy for what it does.

This "iCUE lite" version has been one of the most popular suggestions not only from you guys but also internally. I am sure our software team has been exploring this as a possible solution. But either way, if we go that direction or something else, I'm pretty confident that they will figure this one out.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to put in a message, as someone who has been bothered by this CPU usage issue for a very long time. My iCUE process has previously been hovering around 5% usage at all times, with my CPU temperatures being raised by around 4°C by iCUE alone.

As I updated to 3.34.161, I went back into testing mode, and it looks like iCUE CPU usage has dropped by somewhere between 1.5%-2.5%, and my temperatures are a bit lower as well.

Looks like there has been some improvement, maybe the team has remedied part of the issues? Definitely appreciated!

EDIT: Now I noticed after firing up one of my games that this update massacred one of my gaming profiles, hours of work put into many action assignments gone up in smoke. I am looking at the profile now and it somehow reverted the actions back to versions from many days ago, and created a number of weird duplicates of actions. Very annoying.

Edited by Sojourner1

This "iCUE lite" version has been one of the most popular suggestions not only from you guys but also internally. I am sure our software team has been exploring this as a possible solution. But either way, if we go that direction or something else, I'm pretty confident that they will figure this one out.

I like it!

I mainly need it for cooling control of the AIO and Commander Pro controlling case fans. I run different cooling profiles depending on programs I run.

What I did to decrease cpu usage of ICUE from 8-11% to 1-3% was to reinstall to the newest version of Asus Aura

So my tip is, if you have any other rgb software make sure its up to date ;)

Which Version of Asus Aura? There is just the new Armory Crate, the "normal" Aura is not getting update since a while now.

It has been bothering me for years. Its quite incredible really, for a company building cooling hardware to write such poorly optimised code that they end up doing the opposite of what we are paying all this money for and heating up CPUs. :mad:

I have been a WPF and UX developer and I would also add that it has just become way too complex and heavy, also I have frequently lost profiles (now I export them) during updates.

So yes I live with this software and I fully support of a Lite version, a fast loading, simple UI, clean functioning software that uses almost next to 0% CPU.

How can it be possible to have Corsair.Service.CpuIdRemote and Corsair.Service using between 1% and 5% on a I9900K idling or even during gameplay!

When I go in to look at the Dashboard, my CPU usage goes up to 7%! So the dashboard is useless because its putting so much extra load on the CPU that it is not providing a fair reflection of the system state.

Do you know how many GFLOPS that is? Well I don't either but its a lot! All we want is one if statement running every 2 seconds if it temp = X fan = Y%.

Please do try to fix this or give us a workaround to reduce what these apps/services are doing because I am about to build a new system and I am actively trying to avoid all Corsair products, it looks like it wont just be me.

While I am on a rant, the taskbar iCue app also has a ridiculously basic bug, perhaps its my multi monitor setup or something but when I right click it, the menu pops up in the top left of the screen 🤦*♂️

So what exactly does this mean?

It is a suggestion that has been come to you guys from internal and external.

Is there a lite version in development?

If so, any dates on this?

Are there already tests running?

Can we have that tool?

Basically, since I have all the Corsair stuff and using iCue, it is causing several issues, sometimes more, sometimes less.

However, an issue that pops up regularly is the high CPU usage.

In my case it is between 12% and 15% with a 3900X, which translates to almost 85%-90% usage when moving corsair.service to use just one core!

This is insane and is an issue that is well known.

I can just think of that this Software is so bloated, and if you guys fix something, it breaks something else!

I don't want to be mean, but if these issues don't get fixed or any other tool comes that can be at least configured to install just the stuff I need, then each and every Corsair bit of Hardware and Software will be removed from all my builds.

It can't be that such issues are reported on and on, but never being investigated and fixed completely.

• Corsair Employee

Quick update for you guys, we made some improvements in iCUE 3.34.161, which should help with CPU usage. We're still investigating ways to make further improvements, but this is a step in what I think most of you will agree is in the right direction. Let us know if you see some changes after updating, and we'll pass the feedback along to our development team.

https://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_3.34.161_release.msi

Quick update for you guys, we made some improvements in iCUE 3.34.161, which should help with CPU usage. We're still investigating ways to make further improvements, but this is a step in what I think most of you will agree is in the right direction. Let us know if you see some changes after updating, and we'll pass the feedback along to our development team.

i'm still sitting at 3% CPU (icue open) usage on a 4.3GHz 3700x, with static lighting.

Drops to 1-2% with icue closed, which is better but still damned high for static lighting and fan speeds.

"corsair.service.CPUID.remote" seems to be high up there, polling the hardware too often?

Thank you. Significant improvement. Down from ~8% to ~1% on a 5.1Ghz 9900k.