Corsair Community

Upping my system memory speed

memory_oc

I have these sticks: CMZ12GX3M3A2000C10 currently on my system, which is an Asus Rampage II Extreme, in the BIOS it says it can be upped to 2000Mhz, I am currently on 1600Mhz with the timing on 8-8-8-20. Would going up to 2000Mhz generate too much heat for the sticks to cope? Would I need other ways to cool them down?

• Corsair Employee
With an I950- I really doubt it will run much above DDR1600 as they are rated at DDR1066. But you can sure try it. Just enable XMP and I would set the memory Voltage manually to 1.65 Volts and set the CPU/QPI Voltage to 1.4 Volts.

The Bios has three settings, the last one being 2000Mhz in the Memory Level Up, would I still need to enable XMP to up the volts on the memory and CPU/QPI voltages?

Yes, XMP takes care of system voltages needed.

Would going up to 2000Mhz generate too much heat for the sticks to cope? Would I need other ways to cool them down?

Yes, 2000mhz would create more heat. Not so much for the memory sticks, but the CPU because that is where the memory controller is and that is that part that is getting stressed.

The sticks were made to run at those frequency, your CPu was not. All you can do is watch your CPU temps. If they rise too much you may have to think about another cooling alternative.

Archived