Corsair Community

Potential thermal issue with RM750 and RM850

RAM GUY

hey after playing bf4 my PC shutdown with the PSU being very hot

i wasnt very sure but after reading these fourm i know there may be an issue with mines

ive added a photo could one tell me if mines is effected

and should i RMA it ? thank you

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/DAMARSHALL/IMG_00621.jpg

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there is no way youll be sold a re-worked psu as a new one.,try not listening to this kind of hype,corsair just isnt that kind of a business.

Well... As stated, I believe "reworked" is actually "new" because of the fact that it has never left the factory and is actually IMPROVED, fixing the stated thermal error. I'm almost 100% sure I didn't get a reworked one and as I can't even reach 40% load with my RM850 atm, I'm not really sure what to do. As stated, this issue only occurs under certain circumstances, so most users even with the original version should not get this issue? Thanks to anyone who can help... I'm not really sure if I should RMA it or just leave it be.

I have created support ticket 6340434 on December 31st to request a replacement for an affected unit. As yet I have not received a response. I understand that the holidays would have slowed things down but I was surprised not to have heard something back by now as it's been 3 business days.

• Administrators
I have created support ticket 6340434 on December 31st to request a replacement for an affected unit. As yet I have not received a response. I understand that the holidays would have slowed things down but I was surprised not to have heard something back by now as it's been 3 business days.

Your ticket was responded to late last night.

Your ticket was responded to late last night.

Ah yes it was, thank you. I did not think to check the ticket and was instead waiting for an email. I have uploaded the requested invoice, and requested advanced replacement. I'll keep an eye on the ticket from here on out. Thanks again for the help.

Well I don't have a lot of luck with Corsair PSU it seems...

A week ago my 3.5 half year old Corsair professional series HX1000 (EU) (Serial no: 000886 10177132) said poof with a flash and smelled weird, it was dead so I RMA'd it to my retailer (in the 5 year warranty period)

I am still waiting on a reply if corsair will repair it or swap it (dunno what I get back as the HX professional series is E.O.L.)

I couldn't wait that long so I ordered a new cheaper temporary PSU so I could do some stuff till my repaired or swapped PSU is back.

My new Corsair RM750 arrived and I installed it in my Corsair Air 540 case (PSU fan is the only moving part in there, due the separated area's)

The PC kept shutting down/rebooting so I tested the PSU from my fathers rig and it worked just fine.

Google time... I found this thread and checked the LOT number LOT:1341xxxxxx :sigh!:

So now I have to purchase another PSU to replace the temporary PSU that I bought for the first one that that died in the warranty period.

Seriously?

Sorry but I am pretty aggravated right now...

• Corsair Employee
Well I don't have a lot of luck with Corsair PSU it seems...

A week ago my 3.5 half year old Corsair professional series HX1000 (EU) (Serial no: 000886 10177132) said poof with a flash and smelled weird, it was dead so I RMA'd it to my retailer (in the 5 year warranty period)

I am still waiting on a reply if corsair will repair it or swap it (dunno what I get back as the HX professional series is E.O.L.)

I couldn't wait that long so I ordered a new cheaper temporary PSU so I could do some stuff till my repaired or swapped PSU is back.

My new Corsair RM750 arrived and I installed it in my Corsair Air 540 case (PSU fan is the only moving part in there, due the separated area's)

The PC kept shutting down/rebooting so I tested the PSU from my fathers rig and it worked just fine.

Google time... I found this thread and checked the LOT number LOT:1341xxxxxx :sigh!:

So now I have to purchase another PSU to replace the temporary PSU that I bought for the first one that that died in the warranty period.

Seriously?

Sorry but I am pretty aggravated right now...

You're fine:

Right. The symptom is shutting down. Not rebooting. When a PSU latches off in safety, it doesn't reboot. It completely shuts down and requires a hard power cycle to start back up again. Your problem is elsewhere.

Hey Corsair,

I bought a RM750 from Micro Center 25 days ago s/n 1333, I had some PC issues and found this thread. Here's the situation:

Specs

i5 3570k

Hyper 212 evo

Asrock extreme 4 Z77

8gb ddr3 1600

760 GTX

Ok, on default CPU/mobo/bios settings(speed step enabled~down clocks my CPU to 1600 while idle~ and turbo boost enabled,..etc), my system runs fine, great temps, no crashes or shutdowns for days.

When I overclock my CPU to 4.2, turbo boost disabled and speed step enabled(1.6 idle), offset voltage to -0.60(1.240), I get no crashes or shutdowns, temps are like 34c idle, 77c max temp with IBT test, and max temp of 70c while running prime95.

Now here's the issue, I use those settings above, but disable speed step, so my CPU runs @4.2 entire time, within a hour or two my pc will just turn off or freeze. The PC will be idle @the desktop and it will just turn off. So I add more voltage to the offset, .010 every crash or freeze. I got all the way to 1.3 then stopped, it still freezes and shuts off. I also tried using fixed voltage from 1.230 to 1.3 and the same thing happens.

Now my question is: Do you think your RM750 is causing the problems? I don't think the fan has turned on yet... I have 5 days left to return it to Micro Center. I can exchange it for another RM750, if the s/n is 1342> or get the HX750, or maybe even downgrade and get the RM650.

Please give me your opinion, and thanks for reading.

• Corsair Employee

Not if the motherboard is sensing a thermal issue with the chipset, CPU, GPU, etc. Or if the motherboard is just plain faulty. Or some other potential reasons that wouldn't have to do with the PSU.

Remember: Your power supply is technically *always on* and always has power on the +5VSB rail. The power button on your chassis goes to the motherboard. The motherboard then "tells" the power supply to deliver power to the motherboard and the rest of your components.

If either OTP (over temperature protection), UVP (under voltage protection), OPP (over power protection), etc. are triggered, the power supply actually LATCHES OFF. That would require a power cycle at the back of the PSU. EVERYTHING is cut off and that includes the +5VSB, which means your motherboard would no longer be able to tell the PSU to turn back on via the power switch on the front of your case.

Heck.. if it's over temperature protection that's actually tripping, you have to actually wait for the PSU to cool down a little before it will power up and stay powered up.

It's very unlikely your problem is power supply related.

Appreciate the feedback, but I'm still going to return the PSU to Micro Center, if this issue is not effecting me now, I don't want to have to deal with it later on down the road.

I'll post again on Sunday and let you know if the issue was corrected with a new PSU.

Thanks

Well I exchanged that RM750 for a RM650. My system still freezes when I overclock, but it hasn't shutoff yet.

I seemed to have stopped freezing when I used a offset, and turned on sped step and c states. I'ts been 16 hours without a issue.

So it's probably my mobo/cpu/or ram that is causing the freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the ticket number 6355196

i opened this ticket on the 8th of jan the rma was approved and UPS came to collect my PSU RM750 all was going well UPS deliverd it back to corsair the next day i then waited a few days then ask if corsair have recived my PSU the guy Jarrad

said they had not ?!?!?!? ive asked twice now on diffrent days for an update with no reply. with this being my 1st PSU from corsair and my 1st real RMA im pretty disapointed even more so the start thread quoted ''Thank you for choosing Corsair; we are committed to making sure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.'' im not satisfied at all with the service :[pouts:

i know you guys have been very busy

any help would be good

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
i have the ticket number 6355196

i opened this ticket on the 8th of jan the rma was approved and UPS came to collect my PSU RM750 all was going well UPS deliverd it back to corsair the next day i then waited a few days then ask if corsair have recived my PSU the guy ********

said they had not ?!?!?!? ive asked twice now on diffrent days for an update with no reply. with this being my 1st PSU from corsair and my 1st real RMA im pretty disapointed even more so the start thread quoted ''Thank you for choosing Corsair; we are committed to making sure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.'' im not satisfied at all with the service :[pouts:

i know you guys have been very busy

any help would be good

Thanks

Do you have the tracking number? Did you track it and does it say it arrived at Corsair?

• Corsair Employee

Ah.. you're in Europe. I was thinking you were in the U.S. for some reason.

Someone else here may be able to track your ticket number if you're not getting any feedback from calling or emailing support. Just hang tight.

I have 2 of the RM850 watts connected together using a dual power supply adapter so when the first one turns on, they both turn on. The fans on both spin when I power the computer on, but when the computer is under load, the second power supply fan never spins. On the first one I have 3 270X and the motherboard, cpu, etc connected to it, and that fan is always spinning. On the second one I have 3 270X only connected to it and the fan doesn't spin under load.

The outside of that power supply is very hot. I am running these 24/7 for coin mining, and the power supplies have not shut off yet after about 4 days, but I am worried about potentially burning the second one out since the fan isn't spinning. Should I be concerned? I don't know what the ambient temperature is, but it definitely is very warm in here since I am running a lot of graphics cards. My serial numbers start with 1338. I don't want to take this computer offline for an RMA if I don't have to since that will lose me a lot of money with downtime.

Archived