Corsair Community

P8Z77-I Deluxe & CML8GX3M2A1600C9W

C.C.

Hey Cosair Forums,

About a year ago I purchased a batch of CML8GX3M2A1600C9W and used it with my first build. Everything was fine but after a few months I started getting more BSOD's then Bill Gate's unliked cousin. Having faith in corsair, I went through every option, even swaping the motherboard (an Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3) with an Asus P8 of some kind. To no success. Behold, when I swaped the ram for some Kingston Hyper X Blu, the problems disappeared, never to return.

RMAing the ram, I checked this out and again, the vengeance wrought needless vengeance upon my rig, and so I took it out and out it sat.

Fast forward to now, and I've built another rig, this time with the P8Z77-I Deluxe. Guess which ram I wanted to see would work? Having checked the corsair website? After a day of attempting to install windows 7 pro, then upgrading to windows 8 with many errors, I finally swapped out the corsair, for just one of the Kingston Hyper X Blu, and again, the problems disappeared.

So is it possible I got two batches of bad ram in a row? Or is there something more to this mystery I have yet to see?

By the way, memtest came back clean on the sticks. No issue reported. And I'm running an i5 (2500k with the first one, 3570k with the newest rig), with plenty of power to spare.

My question is this, what do I do with this ram that seems to be cursed? Do I RMA again? Even if I did, I'm a little scared to use it.

Thanks for your help and time.

Cheers,

C.C.

So is it possible I got two batches of bad ram in a row? Or is there something more to this mystery I have yet to see?

Highly doubtful! The LP whites are 1.35v kits and sometime will need more voltage depending on the system they are used with. I'm betting it's just a matter of the modules not getting enough voltage.

BTW,the Hyperx kits are 1.5v kits as well

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your MB and then load set-up defaults, enable XMP and then manually set the DIMM voltage to 1.5v.

Let me know if that cures the problem.

I checked all of those, including the voltage. Spent a lot of time on the sevenforums to no avail.

Like I said, swapping the ram was the only solution. And this ram has caused issues on not just one, but two separate motherboards and systems.

'Preciate the suggestion though. While I did a lot, I'm not above any help I can take.

With the XMP profile enabled it drops the voltage to 1.35v that s why i suggested you try to manually set them to 1.5v I don't mean to doubt you, just wanted to be sure you tried that and we were on the same page.

I dont understand it myself, I see very few issues with the LP series. except for having to add the voltage manually on some systems.

I personally would try RMA'ing them again. It would be at Corsairs expense

Yeah, I guess I will. If only to prove I"m not insane. And I'm wrong, then I can return the kingston ram I purchased. Just a year long battle.

Thanks for your patience and advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I am sorry but you can contact our customer service with your previous RMA# and they will be able to get you a pre-paid shipping label upon request.

Thanks RAM GUY I will. Have you ever heard of anything like this occurring?

RMA submitted. New RMA: 5357913 First RMA: 4673990

Archived