Corsair Community

Performance Pro firmware update?

jim21

I jumped in this thread because of the mention of interoperability problems with LSI raid cards. I can confirm this.nt.

Is your rig in your dropdown the rig in question? Are all your spex accurate and are there any details you'd like to add? I'll pass this info along to LSI/SF.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is your rig in your dropdown the rig in question? Are all your spex accurate and are there any details you'd like to add? I'll pass this info along to LSI/SF.

It is.

I guess the only detail to add is that the card is getting fed a full x8 PCIe 2.0 (some boards don't do this). And that I've had this issue with the last three firmware releases, independent of cachecade. Also, the system is stable, and the only part that isn't stock is the CPU (so LSI can't blame it on a jacked up Southbridge or anything).

What about Marvell? I haven't thought to contact them, but from what I understand, this is as much a Marvell problem as it is an LSI problem.

LSI is aware of the issue, they have been informed and investigated it. The fault lies not with LSI, but with the Marvell SSD firmware. As I already mentioned, other Marvell SSDs have released updated firmware to fix the problem (for the m4, and the PX-M3P).

Corsair needs to update the Performance Pro firmware also, to fix the problem.

It is.

I guess the only detail to add is that the card is getting fed a full x8 PCIe 2.0 (some boards don't do this). And that I've had this issue with the last three firmware releases, independent of cachecade. Also, the system is stable, and the only part that isn't stock is the CPU (so LSI can't blame it on a jacked up Southbridge or anything).

What about Marvell? I haven't thought to contact them, but from what I understand, this is as much a Marvell problem as it is an LSI problem.

I will forward this to engineering and they can send it to either or both LSI and/or Marvell. Thanks for the info.

LSI is aware of the issue, they have been informed and investigated it. The fault lies not with LSI, but with the Marvell SSD firmware. As I already mentioned, other Marvell SSDs have released updated firmware to fix the problem (for the m4, and the PX-M3P).

Corsair needs to update the Performance Pro firmware also, to fix the problem.

Do you actually have this issue with a Marvell based SSD and an LSI controller?

This drive uses a Marvell controller, so Sandforce / LSI has nothing to do with it.

that was not the locus of my post. of course the ppro uses the marvell. corsair sells drives with both controllers. please do not generally portray customers as uninformed.

Good luck keeping up with DooRules, he changes his SSDs more often than his underwear. He also has many more tricks up his sleeves than FW updates.

Are you using your SSD(s) as the OS volume? Using empty drives makes a big difference. Are your SSD(s) partitioned and formatted? It's a trick pro reviewers use, the SSD is initialized but that's it. Only good for single drives, not for RAID 0 volumes. Is your CPU overclocked over 4.5GHz, and the BCLK tweaked up as far as it will go? Can't go above ~105MHz with Sandy Bridge boards, but that buys you some extra SATA interface speed. You might know what he does with SATA drivers and Intel RST OROMs, still more magic. Do you have a PC that is dedicated to SSD testing, and not a general purpose PC?

That's all just the basic stuff. If you have less than six SSDs and don't have two or three PCs with the latest hardware to play with, you (and me) are simply not in the same league as he is. Benching and testing SSDs is his hobby, and if you want to play, ya gotta pay...

over several platforms. these drives show well on an os volume. yes, numbers would look good on a secondary, but we know this. yes, OC'ed a bit, and yes, i've modded bios, but have found a basic stock bios with a recent intel system up-clocked, with os on target drive/array will get sweet numbers with the performance pro. there are issues with existing roc cards and the drive's FW, yes. another company is getting more out of the drives with updated FW, yes. is there is a fix for roc cards and these drives? the other company will have to answer this. these are consumer drives, and i have had several friends using these drives with enterprise controllers give me grief already, though fixes for non toggle drives are already out there...

that was not the locus of my post. of course the ppro uses the marvell. corsair sells drives with both controllers. please do not generally portray customers as uninformed.
I only pointed it out because you have a theory that Sandforce has some type of legal contract with Corsair that prevents them from doing firmware updates to Marvell based drives. This makes no sense because if it did exist, then it's basically one company forcing another to only deal with their competition in a certain way. You can't force your clients to deal with their other suppliers like that, it's immoral and probably illegal (under various racketeering / RICO laws perhaps).

so..... I am the one who posted the thread on the corsair forums about having 8x corsair performance Pro drives that i have not been able to use in over 2 months.

they still sit in the corner of my room and gather dust..

Other competitors have recognized the issue and one has already rolled out a firmware to address this issue while i get the shaft.

I have not received any updates from corsair. No phone calls.. NO emails... No responses in my thread to give me a status update.

Anyone want to buy 8x 128 gb corsair performance Pro Ssd that have been used for like 3 minutes?

and to think.. I blew $100 bucks on the flash voyager GT 64gb model last week to support Corsair some more...

Oh.. And FYI.. just because people dont report the problem.. DOesnt mean it isnt wide spread and unkown.

People who go on the forums who have raid cards like me and run into the issue I have run into spread the word to users like myself or others to stay away from corsair drives with the Marvell controller due to the lack of support on a firmware fix.

simple as that.

PS. im one of oreilly's friends who is giving him grief :P.

He got me to buy these drives!!!!!!!!!!

Just playing Oreilly. I love you man.

Im sure a fix will be applied.. I just hope it is released soon because I still feel burned spending $2,000 on these ssd's and have not yet received any support or update from corsair.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but we are looking into this, we have the same controller and obviously we have the drive but so far we have not seen any issue with the drives in Raid. They have been working them as a data drive not an O.S. and that test will be started next week. If you remember I did mention that would take some time to get this looked at. I have spoke to LSI and they are on top of this as well so I do understand your frustration but please give us some more time.

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry but we are looking into this, we have the same controller and obviously we have the drive but so far we have not seen any issue with the drives in Raid. They have been working them as a data drive not an O.S. and that test will be started next week. If you remember I did mention that would take some time to get this looked at. I have spoke to LSI and they are on top of this as well so I do understand your frustration but please give us some more time.

Thats a much better response than

" the drives work fine. we may not even release a firmware update."

I have 8 of these SSD's and dont need them as a data drive. so far they have been sitting on my other computer desk for over 3 months and have only stored dust so far :P.

I have wanted to upgrade from my Vertex drives for a long time now and i really hope you guys get this figured out before one of my vertex drives of 4 years decides to die.

thx

• Corsair Employee

Basicallyevolve,

We have just completed a ton of testing with the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i? and a few other LSI Raid Cards and our Performance Pro drives and the only problem we found was the controller on the MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i? had a tendency to overheat and loose connection to the drives randomly when more than 4 drives were connected. LSI had suggested adding a fan to the controller and suggested it may be caused from the added data rate of the SSD drives that may be the cause of it over heating. We added a fan to our experimental system and it has been running 24-7 for the last 5 days after the controller fan was added. This was tested both as a data drive and as a BOOT Drive.

• 2 weeks later...
Basicallyevolve,

We have just completed a ton of testing with the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i? and a few other LSI Raid Cards and our Performance Pro drives and the only problem we found was the controller on the MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i? had a tendency to overheat and loose connection to the drives randomly when more than 4 drives were connected. LSI had suggested adding a fan to the controller and suggested it may be caused from the added data rate of the SSD drives that may be the cause of it over heating. We added a fan to our experimental system and it has been running 24-7 for the last 5 days after the controller fan was added. This was tested both as a data drive and as a BOOT Drive.

Wow... Are you serious? So the heat is causing my raid card to throw out drives randomly and run my array @ like 1 mb write speed but the reads are fine?

that doesnt add up to me for some reason. I have like 20 fans in my computer. It sounds like a jet engine but I will try it out i guess?

I will have to take an image of my computer of course but it seems strange to me that this is the resolution?

A lot of people are experiencing the same problem as i am yet Sandforce drives in raid 0 are just fine.

What makes the Marvell controlled SSD's do this? Because their write speeds are slower than sandforce along with the reads.

So what you are saying technically makes sense in some situations but not this one.

Companies had to release firmware updates for their drives to resolve this issue yet you are claiming heat.

He's not stating that it's THE resolution, just that it's what they found out in their testing. LSI is the one who suggested adding a fan to the controller and it did fix the issue they saw.

Just because you have 20 fans doesn't mean you have good airflow (not enough info about your rig's airflow to say either way).

Personally I'm wondering if there's some type of read and or write that Sandforce controllers are faster than Marvell controllers at, and if that type of data transfer causes the LSI card to heat up faster.

OK. So putting a fan directly on my heatsink seems to have done the trick apparently. I have not had a drive get thrown out of the array just yet but i still have the bug with the drives in terms of reboots.

With your testing are you able to restart your computer and have the firmware load properly?

My firmware hangs @ 100% and sometimes goes back down to 50% and back to 100% over and over again .

the only way to get a good boot is to turn the computer off and back on.

Did you guys run into that?

also.

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/basicallyevolve/1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping back in after an absence.

My mobo recently died so I'm now on X79 with the same issues I had on P45. Case changed too. I'm heading out for the time being but I will provide full system specs when I get back.

My P45 build's case had a pair of 120mm fans blowing directly on my LSI card. It ran at around 50C. My X79 build's case did not have this, and the LSI card was hitting 80C. I added an 80mm fan on the side of the card and it now runs at 60-65C. I think it could be lower but I have to change the AS5 that is on it (bad application). Temps aren't the reason for my troubles though, as I've kept my card cool for the most part. I've had the same issues at 50C as I have at 80C.

What bios revision do you guys have on your 9265-8i? Do you have the newest release? This problem is much worse on the last two releases. What's the mobo in your test box too? Certain intel based mobos had problems with LSI cards, so although this was fixed, perhaps it isn't fixed when combined with certain SSDs.

• Corsair Employee

savantstrike,

I am sorry I do not have the Raid card any longer as I had to give it back to Engineering, but I did not update the firmware I used it with what ever version came on the card. I will ask if we can get the F/W Version

EDIT:

The Engineer who had this was not in today but this is one of the cards we used

LSI Mega Raid 9265-8i

Version 5.14.00 Build January 19, 2011

FW Package 21.0.1-0100

• 4 weeks later...

So.....

My problem was not resolved.

I strapped a fan to my raid cards heat sink and even pointed a larger room fan in itz direction and everything went fine for 3 weeks... About a week ago my rig took a crap again. Windows would load into a black screen and formatting and getting windows installed on it again took me 3 days cause of driver and bs issues.

I finally got my os back on it 2 days ago and again today it stoped working.

Same problem as before. I was installing a game and all of a sudden errors were thrown. I googled the errors and it was pointing to my ram apparently. I ran a memtest and it passed just fine.

I then proceeded to go ha k to stock bios and the same thing happened.

I attempted to install few times and i kept getting corruption errors. Then finally it ijstalled but the patching began to throw errors.

i have an extra set of ram... I threw the sucker into my rig and same thing happened.

Then on my last attempt i notcied my progress bar for installing the game began to slow down like 20 fold.

I ran a speed test oj myarray and the same old 5 mb a sec loe before.

I went into my raid management. Desteoyed the array and rebuilt it...Threw a healthy image on it that i took from a fresh install and the same thing happened.

I went to install a fresh os on it and what happens? Beeep... beeep... Beeep.. my raid card freaks out and lost communication with a drive.

Again. This is with a 120mm right on the sucker and a huge osolating room fan point right at it. along with my ac being on 24/7.

Anythime my computer was on the fans and ac were on..

And now im stumped.

I am hanging in there@!

It literally took me like 2 days to get the drives working again,

I wiped them like 10 times. I did a Secure Erase. I tried like 4 different LSI raid drivers. 3 different windows 7 ultimate install discs.

I dono what did it but finally on one boot it came back up.

Anytime i tried to restore a good image that i know is good... I took the image on day one of the Array being rebuilt a month ago and nadA!.

Again. Im back up and running now.. A fan is strapped to my raid cards heatsink and it is running at a nice 40C temp.

Im hanging in there! Being trooper to see what the heck is going on. I wont replace the drives unless this keeps happening. It worked for 2-3 weeks before taking a dive so lets see how long it will work now.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so im back again.

I have a fan strapped to the heatsink.. The temp never goes above 43C and 3 weeks later im having issues again.

I shut down my computer 2 days ago and booted it up the next day to run into issues with programs not running.

I mean....everything. Firefox. Internet explorer. games .. anything. It threw errors stating BEX error with a code of 0xc000007b.

I attempted to fix it to no avail.

So being tired of reformatting every 3 weeks and running into the trouble of reinstalling ( since making images and restoring wont work) I waited till today and started working on my computer 6 hours and have not been able to get it up.

I installed windows 7 ultimate the first time and got an error for winlogin.exe when attempting to boot up after windows 7 installed.

Through the frustration i look to see if there is a new driver and or firmware update for my Raid card and sure enough there was. I stuck my raid card in my other computer.. upgraded the firmware and started over again.

I boot install windows 7 from another CD i have and guess what?

This time after it installs i get an error for CLFS.SYS is missing or corrupt.

Really??

LOl..

So now i am running another mem test and it has been running for over an hour.. and i have 2 sets of ram and have tested both.

IM willing to bet that if i threw in my 8x OCZ drives in raid 0 that i have had for 4 years now i will not have any of the issues i am having.

SOmething is not right here... These drives wont work in raid 0 for more than 2-3 weeks.. MAYBEEEEE 4 weeks tops before they fall apart or files go missing or corruption happens.

I really need help here.

savantstrike,

I am sorry I do not have the Raid card any longer as I had to give it back to Engineering, but I did not update the firmware I used it with what ever version came on the card. I will ask if we can get the F/W Version

EDIT:

The Engineer who had this was not in today but this is one of the cards we used

LSI Mega Raid 9265-8i

Version 5.14.00 Build January 19, 2011

FW Package 21.0.1-0100

Well there's your problem right there. The firmware my card shipped with was that firmware. It worked mostly fine, with the exception that I would have to hit the enter key when the system restarted as it would hang when the raid card initialized. I didn't have to cut the power to the machine though. I updated my firmware to another revision when it came out hoping it would fix the problem, but it made it worse. I could no longer press enter to keep the boot sequence going, I had to turn the switch off in the back of the machine if there was any kind of restart involved.

Any subsequent firmware revision has had this problem, and in my case I need the August 6 2012 firmware as it has CacheCade functionality. This firmware is revision 5.3. Is there any chance you could get engineering to test with firmware 5.3? Also, perhaps try adding a raid array with a pair of normal HDD's in it. I get the impression that these SSD's take longer to respond to the controller at boot up so the problem is exacerbated when there are a pair of plain vanilla drives that respond faster. I'm not booted into windows right now, but I have had some WHEA errors at bootup that indicate the raid card is refusing to relinquish control of the PCIE bus. From what I can gather, this is often bad cables or drives that don't play nice with the card.

For what it's worth, I've also changed out the cables as well.

Archived