Corsair Community

AX1200 Replacement

Ultimatium

Ultimatium, I'm the guy who posts as Redbeard everywhere else. I've received a few emails and responded to each - but if I haven't responded to you, please send me an email directly at georgem@corsair.com and I'll do so.

According to all the webforums where you have been posting, your e-mail is redbeard@corsair.com. However, this e-mail you are giving me now is georgem@corsair.com Is this to confuse your customers? What's up with the multiply account names dude? Why not just stick to one e-mail?

I can document & guarantee that the 6. sep. 2010 23.56 i did send you an e-mail, that you never responded to. I can even attach that e-mail and send it to your new e-mail adress if you want me to. However, this doesn't solve the problem with the defective AX1200 unit.

So far, the AX1200 haven't caused any issues to any other components, apart from being very annoying under load where it starts to whine, it even whines when the system is shut down - i have to manually turn the power off.

If you can give me an exact date where the new AX1200 units will be shipped, I am willing to make a deal, as I don't dislike the AX1200, in fact it is another superb product from Corsair, it is the coilwhine issue in particular that bothers me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd just like to report I have had excellent service from Corsair with this issue (and others). I know 2 to 3 weeks sounds like a long time to wait but if the faulty PSU is usable and not dead then I don't think it's too bad to have to wait that length of time especially as Corsair only just identified the fix for the issue and it takes time to ramp production up and get new units out in the field.

Personally, I went though I think 4 AX1200's and kept returning them to my seller and buying a new one in the hope of a good one. The 1st two sounded like someone put a tin of angry bees inside my case. Corsair offered to advance RMA the 1st time I mentioned I had an issue on one of the forums (Jonnyguru I believe) but I thought it would be quicker to buy locally. I now have 2 replacement AX1200's, one in each PC. Again I bought from my seller. One is borderline acceptable. Coil whine but no louder then what my GPU's get up to. Will probably keep it. The other one is absolutely dreadful. The worst yet. It actually sounds like someone is opening up a fizzy bottle of coke :eek: Happens when you run anything which puts a bit of load on the system. Also it buzzes when I scroll my mouse wheel :confused:

I was a bit miffed at the situation at first. What are the chances of 3 bad ones and 1 okayish one about 4 weeks apart from a seller that is selling these faster then they can keep them in stock. I was condifering moving to a different manufacturer straight away but then I started thinking about customer service.

So I applied for an RMA rather then risk another bad one from the seller, and Corsair instantly came back to me, approved it and said it will take 2 to 3 weeks. This is how long it takes to get this fix out in the field. A pity it's not sooner I know, but I for one am very happy with Corsairs service to date and the fact the openly admit their is an issue and they are on it. Many many manufacturers in Ireland just tell you to return it to the store and wash their hands of it, and then you end up in the small claims court. Many other etailers just send it off for repair and then you have to play the waiting game. I am currently waiting for a graphics card replacement for nearly 53 days and the etailer is blaming the manufacturer who I can't even talk to.

So - customer service is one of the main reasons I buy Corsair products and to date I have not been let down and I will continue to buy in the future from Corsair. :D:

It's great that most folks seem to be getting taken care of. That's precisely why I buy Corsair products - the quality of service. Granted, I've never had to use their RMA or support service until now over the past 9 years I've purchased their products, but when asking computer builders about great customer service there's only a few companies that get mentioned regularly; Corsair is one of them.

Unfortunately, for me, it just doesn't seem like the service I was expecting. I posted about the coil whine right after powering up my system for the first time and was told to check a few things out. Those things didn't correct the problem so I applied for an RMA, rather than exchanging it with the vendor and taking the chance to receive a similarly affected unit.

I shipped the unit back the day after I received my RMA confirmation, and paid around $25 to do so. My busted unit arrived at Corsair on Thursday 9/2 at 10:30 in the morning. I keep checking the site for updates but it continues stating that defective parts have not yet been received; opposite of what UPS said. The site said it could take up to a day to update the status, but it had been a few more than that so I called them up on Tuesday 9/7 and the woman I spoke with said that my PSU still had not been received. Upon giving her a couple UPS tracking numbers, she managed to locate the package they hadn't received and told me they'd "get right on it."

Next day. "We've received your defective product, please understand that due to volume of warranty claims, the processing of your case may take an additional 5 days." Apparently I'm pretty far down the list. At this point I'm frustrated because it's already taken 2 weeks of downtime from my PC. Upon coming here again, I learn that there are no units available and it could be anywhere from 2-3 weeks before stock is received. To top it all off, if you come here to make a fuss and are generally rude about it, you're offered advance RMA service with Corsair taking care of the bill for return shipping.

So, after waiting a few extra weeks for Corsair to release the AX1200 (which had received awesome reviews from a handful of reputable sites), delaying the completion of my new PC (admittedly, my fault), I'm stuck with at the very least 4-5 weeks of downtime, and I had to pay for this experience. Maybe I was just unlucky to have received one of the few PSUs with banshee whine. Maybe I was just unlucky to deal with Corsair at this time. For my first experience, though, color me unimpressed and disappointed.

I decided to keep the AX1200 and wait for Corsairs replacement. The decision was taken on the basis of Corsairs promise to let me keep the old unit, until the new unit arrives. That way, i wont be left without a PSU in this critical moment. Also, i have several additional Corsair components in my system, so i need to make sure and verify that Corsairs customer service is indeed reliable.

Hi,

I ordered this AX1200, to replace my HX620, because i have 2 of 5970 (1 is off, becorse PSU) and i would like to overclock them, with my CPU too.

Reseler log in web says that, we have some (now4) in FIN main store and so it's this "old version". With out clue.

Q: IF i ever hear this noice (under my pc's, fans or so), do i have to get it replaced ?

- Or can i go with it, with out worring any harm to my pc :confused:

Update. 09/19/2010.

I still haven't heard anything from Corsair. The estimated delivery time for the new AX1200 unit is still 2-3 weeks. The last email i received from Corsair was at Sep 16, 2010. The e-mail contains an apologize from corsair for any inconvenience this may have caused. However, there is no status update or given date on when the new AX1200 units will be shipped. So i am still stuck with the 2-3 weeks.

Update. 09/19/2010.

I still haven't heard anything from Corsair. The estimated delivery time for the new AX1200 unit is still 2-3 weeks. The last email i received from Corsair was at Sep 16, 2010. The e-mail contains an apologize from corsair for any inconvenience this may have caused. However, there is no status update or given date on when the new AX1200 units will be shipped. So i am still stuck with the 2-3 weeks.

If you are already in the RMA process, you will be notified as soon as there is a change.

I received my replacement AX1200 today from Corsair. Just about to swap them out now to see if coil whine issue is gone. Will report back.

Also - I had bought 3 AX1200's online before this and returned each one to the etailer for coil whine problems except for the last one which Corsair did an advance RMA for me on. The RMA No. was issued to me on the 13th of this month, and I just received the new PSU today which is barely a 2 week wait. It was dispatched on the 24th from the US and I'm in Ireland. Corsair also compensated for this wait by sending me a 16gig Voyager GT usb stick. Now that's looking after customers.

Anyway, off to swap the PSU out now.

UPDATE : Bad news!! I ran some benchmarks (resident evil 5, crysis etc..). Hardly any coil whine but the fan is so annoying. Even idling on the desktop I can here the thing droning away. Now maybe it's supposed to do that, considering I do have a fairly high end system. But it's the loudest thing in my case which is full of 20db noiseblocker pk2 140mm fans. My 1st AX1200 was like this also, but it as an added bonus it had the coil issue. It honestly sounds like a 27db fan or higher. I think I will be holding onto the other AX1200 (my 4th one, which has the coil issue when gaming, but very quiet when not gaming), as this is just a very loud psu, even when you are doing nothing.

Another RMA I guess.

Update 09/28/2010.

I have today received the new AX1200 unit. I also received a smart little Flash Voyager GT 16GB USB drive from Corsair, 21. sep 2010. - very neat ;):

Same here. That is some brilliant customer service, to say the least.

I still have to try out the replacement, but for Corsair to pay for shipping both ways (even though I live in France), providing an advanced replacement and offering a very nice present (Flash Voyager GT 16 GB), that's impressive. Quick and comprehensive replies to e-mails, too. Huge thumbs up to Corsair! Their support definitely lives up to all the good we can read about it.

I will report back after testing the new unit.

Hello everyone.

I recently bought a Corsair AX1200 PSU which has the coil whine issue. I contacted Redbeard and got a reply within 24 hours.

I am going to get an advanced replacement!

Way to go Corsair! Excellent customer support (until now)!

I am waiting to see how this turns out :)

Ok, so i have now received the new AX1200 unit, but as soon as i connect the 24pin cable to the mobo, a high pitch noise appears.

I tested with my old Thermalthake Thoughpower 850W PSU, and there is absolutely no noise at all when connected to the mobo, it only happens with the Corsair unit. I am extremely confused now. Can anyone please explain me the reason to this?

Also, the fan on the new psu is extremely loud, i havent been measuring in dB, but it is way louder than the old unit.

Ok, so i have now received the new AX1200 unit, but as soon as i connect the 24pin cable to the mobo, a high pitch noise appears.

I tested with my old Thermalthake Thoughpower 850W PSU, and there is absolutely no noise at all when connected to the mobo, it only happens with the Corsair unit. I am extremely confused now. Can anyone please explain me the reason to this?

Also, the fan on the new psu is extremely loud, i havent been measuring in dB, but it is way louder than the old unit.

I don't have a whining issue on my replacement PSU, but I do have the extremely loud fan even on idle which I mentioend above. Maybe Corsair are shipping them with more powerful fans on purpose. Either way, the person in customer service I dealt with has asked if I require another replacement, which I obviously do. I now have 2 AX1200's to choose from. 1 with very loud coil whine/buzzing, or 1 with a loudass fan :(: This is AX1200 no 4 I'm on now. The 1st 2 went back to the shop.

I don't have a whining issue on my replacement PSU, but I do have the extremely loud fan even on idle which I mentioend above. Maybe Corsair are shipping them with more powerful fans on purpose. Either way, the person in customer service I dealt with has asked if I require another replacement, which I obviously do. I now have 2 AX1200's to choose from. 1 with very loud coil whine/buzzing, or 1 with a loudass fan :(: This is AX1200 no 4 I'm on now. The 1st 2 went back to the shop.

Maybe if we are lucky, Corsair will send us an replacement unit that actually has the promised low-noise fan and without whine/buzzing in it. After all, that is what we, or at least i paid my money for ;):

• Corsair Employee

If you have done an RMA and are still having issues with the unit then please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com and they will help you with a follow up RMA.

If you are receiving multiple units that are giving you similar issues, then its possible that there is some other cause for the problem. To make sure that the issue does not have anything to do with the system that the PSU is being installed into, it may be a good idea to test the PSU in a different system.

Thanks for the advice Ram Guy. Indeed I have checked the PSU on different systems. Obviously coil whine will vary from system to system depending on load but the loud fan on the latest psu is constant. Also, I have a HX1000 which does not exhibit coil whine or a loud fan on my main rig, so I definitely suspect the AX1200 is at fault. Some of them had coil whine issues under load, some had coil whine when doing virtually nothing and as an added bonus one even started to buzz when I scrolled my mouse wheel. The latest one as I have mentioned already has an obnoxious fan. Anyway, customer care have been in contact and are sorting it out for me. Thanks.

Archived