Corsair Community

Brand New Voyager a1600 Hotspot temps at 104 resulting to shutdowns

13 hours ago, User3 said:

Ok great, now uninstall the ICUE software and reinstall it through the Corsair downloads page. Also update it.

I did what you said just now.. Again nothing changed, crashes keep happening the same. Reinstalling the Corsair GPU drivers fixed the issue of temperature display, but the temps still reach 104 hotspot and the system shutdowns at 3 mins of gameplay.

i think the only thing u can try is using user mode via bios with lowest possible watt settings.

or honestly... just rma it, the voyager has some issues but this is not normal

that the voyager overheats and crashes after few hours diablo4 on extreme is known, but it does not shutdown, it goes some state of protecting the cpu/gpu (blowing fans at max speed and limiting cpu to 700 MHZ or something like that until manual reboot, if you left it in this state for few minutes before you reboot, it cools really fast down and at the next boot you have a 'fresh cooled down system')

if your device really gets in shutdown due to temp limits, the above does not happen, which means your hardware has to be broken, because it gets so hot it has to shutdown instead of doing the above to avoid damage.

3 minutes ago, elytscha said:

if you  repasted it correctly, i'm pretty sure you have a vapor chamber which is not correctly filled with liquid

But then the temps should be worse all around.

did he change/check the thermal pads as well?

1 hour ago, elytscha said:

i think the only thing u can try is using user mode via bios with lowest possible watt settings.

or honestly... just rma it, the voyager has some issues but this is not normal

that the voyager overheats and crashes after few hours diablo4 on extreme is known, but it does not shutdown, it goes some state of protecting the cpu/gpu (blowing fans at max speed and limiting cpu to 700 MHZ or something like that until manual reboot, if you left it in this state for few minutes before you reboot, it cools really fast down and at the next boot you have a 'fresh cooled down system')

if your device really gets in shutdown due to temp limits, the above does not happen, which means your hardware has to be broken, because it gets so hot it has to shutdown instead of doing the above to avoid damage.

I tried User mode but it does not change a thing. I even put 65W for dGPU but instead it went full wattage. It does not limit anything.

I never experiencesd this thing that you describe. I never had it happend once since I got the laptop. If that is a feature, mine does not use this cooling down mode. It just shuts down in an instant and then boots extremely slowly and usually with the peripherals connected to the usb slots turned off (I have to reconnect them).

I expected this laptop to have some issues but not to that extend. I am really tech savvy and built my own PCs since 14 yo, and I figured I could tackle minor annoyances.  But I never thought this would happen. I  asked for RMA and sent a replacement but support is slow.. 😕 

1 hour ago, klehriker said:

are those "shutdowns" (system stays off) or system reboots (immediately tries to reboot)?

did you reset your BIOS to default settings after bios update?

Shutdowns, Not reboots. Yes optimized defaults numerous times.

29 minutes ago, elytscha said:

if you  repasted it correctly, i'm pretty sure you have a vapor chamber which is not correctly filled with liquid

Thought about bad copper milling or something, but then overall temps would have been worse too. In fact, overall temps dropped after repasting, especially idle temps. But hotspot temps again jumped to 105 and lead to shutdown.

24 minutes ago, klehriker said:

But then the temps should be worse all around.

did he change/check the thermal pads as well?

Thermal pads were pressed down and had the marks of the components embedded on them, which means they made contact. I am not aware if they were any pads completely missing, because I do not know how many there should be normally . But the ones that were present on the components made proper contact. IF they forgot to put a thermal pad somewhere I have no way of knowing that..

with thermal pads there could be another issue being too thick lifting the vapor chamber just a little bit resulting in problems on either CPU or GPU. Had something similar with an asus g15 advantage.

How does it perform using balanced or silent profile (since those use different tdp limits)?

19 minutes ago, klehriker said:

with thermal pads there could be another issue being too thick lifting the vapor chamber just a little bit resulting in problems on either CPU or GPU. Had something similar with an asus g15 advantage.

How does it perform using balanced or silent profile (since those use different tdp limits)?

When opened Paste was evenly spread both on the dye and the cooler which displayed proper contact and the pads were not too thick to cause concern.

The same shutdown happens in Balanced mode too even though the performance is worse than Extreme. I am beggining to accept that the laptop is faulty..

42 minutes ago, Langlache said:

What is the issue with TB3 connectivity?

it's complicated but this thread shows it while connecting an egpu.

And if you connect a tb3 dock and start the voyager it will fail to boot several times till it boots into windows, then there are random disconnects while working resulting in short blackscreens on your external monitor.

5 hours ago, Langlache said:

I tried User mode but it does not change a thing. I even put 65W for dGPU but instead it went full wattage. It does not limit anything.

I never experiencesd this thing that you describe. I never had it happend once since I got the laptop. If that is a feature, mine does not use this cooling down mode. It just shuts down in an instant and then boots extremely slowly and usually with the peripherals connected to the usb slots turned off (I have to reconnect them).

I expected this laptop to have some issues but not to that extend. I am really tech savvy and built my own PCs since 14 yo, and I figured I could tackle minor annoyances.  But I never thought this would happen. I  asked for RMA and sent a replacement but support is slow.. 😕 

thats what i saw with the corsair driver too, limiting via usermode works for me only with stock amd driver, so basically usermode is broken with the corsair gpu driver

2 hours ago, klehriker said:

it's complicated but this thread shows it while connecting an egpu.

And if you connect a tb3 dock and start the voyager it will fail to boot several times till it boots into windows, then there are random disconnects while working resulting in short blackscreens on your external monitor.

Ah I see. It reminds me of my "simple" issues that I had at first.

My issues were simple at first. My LG 38GL950G was displaying green lines and crashing the system (without triggering a shutdown, only freezing until manually rebooting) when connected to the dGPU via type-c to DP. I tried everything until I gave up. Also, it should be able to run FullRGB mode but it can only run 422. Oh and after a while, although it is G sync / freesync compatible, I could not run the display with Freesync on. Now that I think about it, maybe the GPU was faulty all along?

I have an extensive reddit description here and you can see some photos of the lines too:

I finally accepted that I would not run freesync at all, I would run 422 mode and I would hope to at least work. But the issues came 1 after the other. And now the shutdowns, I think it's a clear indicator that the GPU is faulty.

Edited by Langlache

1 hour ago, elytscha said:

thats what i saw with the corsair driver too, limiting via usermode works for me only with stock amd driver, so basically usermode is broken with the corsair gpu driver

I saw that mentioned somewhere ain the forums or reddit and I tried with the AMD driver to limit via User Mode it but again nothing changed.. I don't know what else to say really... 😕

2 hours ago, Langlache said:

I saw that mentioned somewhere ain the forums or reddit and I tried with the AMD driver to limit via User Mode it but again nothing changed.. I don't know what else to say really... 😕

RMA, don't bother on anything else, seems like you have either a faulty sensor or maybe the GPU is not good either. Also, I'm the one that was trying to help on that Reddit thread hahahaha still I have my monitor running at 144hz no VRR but it does reach 4.4.4, as I said, honestly the main problems that I have are the outdated drivers not having AFMF and that monitor one. I haven't tried an USB4 EGPU but I guess it could trigger those errors too. Overall max hotspot temps usually get to 90s and sometimes could hit 100 but not for long, overall temps are good 80s (for a laptop), BUT I do have a small observation. When I read the CPU temps through ICUE (Using the integrated graphics ones) they do tend to be lower compared to the one recorded on Corsair diagnostics (max 95). So I would like to know which one to believe because that is a huge difference and one that does not make me feel that comfortable about the longevity of the device on the long run. Could someone explain?? @elytscha @Langlache @klehriker @Corsair Albert

Overall it's a great laptop and it does have few hiccups but having it to shutdown by itself it's definitely just a faulty system.

10 hours ago, User3 said:

RMA, don't bother on anything else, seems like you have either a faulty sensor or maybe the GPU is not good either. Also, I'm the one that was trying to help on that Reddit thread hahahaha still I have my monitor running at 144hz no VRR but it does reach 4.4.4, as I said, honestly the main problems that I have are the outdated drivers not having AFMF and that monitor one. I haven't tried an USB4 EGPU but I guess it could trigger those errors too. Overall max hotspot temps usually get to 90s and sometimes could hit 100 but not for long, overall temps are good 80s (for a laptop), BUT I do have a small observation. When I read the CPU temps through ICUE (Using the integrated graphics ones) they do tend to be lower compared to the one recorded on Corsair diagnostics (max 95). So I would like to know which one to believe because that is a huge difference and one that does not make me feel that comfortable about the longevity of the device on the long run. Could someone explain?? @elytscha @Langlache @klehriker @Corsair Albert

Overall it's a great laptop and it does have few hiccups but having it to shutdown by itself it's definitely just a faulty system.

Oh really! hahah well hello again 🤣

Try using GPU-Z. On the monitors section, at the bottom it displays the CPU temps and they seem accurate and correct.

Laptop is great, only thing that is holding it back is software / firmware support and I  dont understand why they are not pouring more resources on that part. I believe they outsourcing the software engineering part to another company, that's why there are so many delays and general "disconnect" from the laptop itself. 

I requested an RMA since Thursday, but support is SO slow to respond, it's usually 1 - 2 times per week and it is infuriating. I am loosing weeks for an issue that could have been resolved now. It's been a month since I opened the support ticket 🫥I never had issues with Corsair support, it was one of the best, but this feels off, like something changed or this is product specific..

I am one step away from putting every single piece of peripherals I have on ebay and say Good Riddance for ever 🙂 And since the previous rep "Tyler" responded once per week AND DID NOT CARE TO DO HIS JOB PROPERLY, I just learned that I lost the replacement period by 2 days from Amazon (where I purchased it). Only refund is possible and the REMAINING laptops now costs 60% more on Amazon since when I purchased it. And the refund will not cover the 400 EUR I paid for tax and custom import duties 🙂  🙂  🙂 What is this travesty? What is this clown work? I DEMAND CORSAIR TO DELIVER ME A BRAND NEW VOYAGER AT MY DOOR BEFORE THIS GOES PUBLIC, I SWEAR I WILL MOVE THE WHOLE EARTH TO MAKE THIS KNOWN TO EVERY TECH YOUTUBER, EVERY COMMUNITY, EVERY SINGLE PERSON RELATED TO PC STUFF. THIS WHOLE PSYCHOLOGICAL ORDEAL I WENT THROUGH SINCE THE BEGINNING IS IRREPAIRABLE. THIS IS FAR FROM HAPPY PURCHASE. THIS IS NOT EVEN A NEUTRAL PURCHASE. THIS PURCHASE LITERALLY MADE ME LOSE MY MIND.

• Hey Ioannis,

Unfortunately if you do not wish to test the drivers, we will need to initiate a return for refund request as we do not have stock of the Voyager laptop at the moment.

Please advise.

image.png

Update: Corsair is sending literally the last available laptop worldwide, but it's a DE version 😢German keyboard looks atrocious and everything will be in german on the laptop. My sweet sweet money..

Other option is to refund me, but that means I will loose close to 400-500 EUR because Amazon does not refund shipping and import taxes...

In other news, the new driver looks sweet and more stable. It will release soon hopefully for the rest. Still no in game overlay though.

It fixed the crashes by.. downclocking the GPU to oblivion. 1100 mhz on SW BF2 and 1300-1400 to Everspace. I used to get 100 FPS on SW and 120-130 on Everspace and now you can see the average on the screeshot. It takes into consideration the hotspot temps and does not let them pass 103 but that results in abysmal performance in my specific case.

Time Spy also decreased by 1000 and now I get 9400 score. 

In a normal system it should be far more stable and improve perfomance. It's just the faulty gpu / thermals that force it to downlclock it to oblivion to avoid a crash

If you want me to test something go ahead and ask as I wait for the replacement.

image.thumb.png.167bb9972839435d751a58b9d7ee35ef.png

csm_Voyager_a1600_18_8b69a7d409.jpg

3 hours ago, Langlache said:

Update: Corsair is sending literally the last available laptop worldwide, but it's a DE version 😢German keyboard looks atrocious and everything will be in german on the laptop. My sweet sweet money..

Other option is to refund me, but that means I will loose close to 400-500 EUR because Amazon does not refund shipping and import taxes...

In other news, the new driver looks sweet and more stable. It will release soon hopefully for the rest. Still no in game overlay though.

It fixed the crashes by.. downclocking the GPU to oblivion. 1100 mhz on SW BF2 and 1300-1400 to Everspace. I used to get 100 FPS on SW and 120-130 on Everspace and now you can see the average on the screeshot. It takes into consideration the hotspot temps and does not let them pass 103 but that results in abysmal performance in my specific case.

Time Spy also decreased by 1000 and now I get 9400 score. 

In a normal system it should be far more stable and improve perfomance. It's just the faulty gpu / thermals that force it to downlclock it to oblivion to avoid a crash

If you want me to test something go ahead and ask as I wait for the replacement.

image.thumb.png.167bb9972839435d751a58b9d7ee35ef.png

csm_Voyager_a1600_18_8b69a7d409.jpg

Does the new driver have new features??? like fluid motion frames?

9 hours ago, Langlache said:

I am one step away from putting every single piece of peripherals I have on ebay and say Good Riddance for ever 🙂 And since the previous rep "Tyler" responded once per week AND DID NOT CARE TO DO HIS JOB PROPERLY, I just learned that I lost the replacement period by 2 days from Amazon (where I purchased it). Only refund is possible and the REMAINING laptops now costs 60% more on Amazon since when I purchased it. And the refund will not cover the 400 EUR I paid for tax and custom import duties 🙂  🙂  🙂 What is this travesty? What is this clown work? I DEMAND CORSAIR TO DELIVER ME A BRAND NEW VOYAGER AT MY DOOR BEFORE THIS GOES PUBLIC, I SWEAR I WILL MOVE THE WHOLE EARTH TO MAKE THIS KNOWN TO EVERY TECH YOUTUBER, EVERY COMMUNITY, EVERY SINGLE PERSON RELATED TO PC STUFF. THIS WHOLE PSYCHOLOGICAL ORDEAL I WENT THROUGH SINCE THE BEGINNING IS IRREPAIRABLE. THIS IS FAR FROM HAPPY PURCHASE. THIS IS NOT EVEN A NEUTRAL PURCHASE. THIS PURCHASE LITERALLY MADE ME LOSE MY MIND.

• Hey Ioannis,

Unfortunately if you do not wish to test the drivers, we will need to initiate a return for refund request as we do not have stock of the Voyager laptop at the moment.

Please advise.

image.png

This is crazy, I mean, they probably don't have more laptops available. At least you got the replacement.

8 hours ago, User3 said:

This is crazy, I mean, they probably don't have more laptops available. At least you got the replacement.

They shouldn't sell products if they cannot repair / replace them especially so expensive products. I am still to decide if I go the "sell everything" and look for another brand. I cannot endure this, And sorry, spending so much money and ending up with a laptop with a foreign keyboard and totally different key layout is not acceptable either. If you are in search for any pristine condition Corsair high end products hmu..

I will search for the frame generation inside Adrenalin in a bit but at first glance I do not recall seeing that option

45 minutes ago, Langlache said:

They shouldn't sell products if they cannot repair / replace them especially so expensive products. I am still to decide if I go the "sell everything" and look for another brand. I cannot endure this, And sorry, spending so much money and ending up with a laptop with a foreign keyboard and totally different key layout is not acceptable either. If you are in search for any pristine condition Corsair high end products hmu..

I will search for the frame generation inside Adrenalin in a bit but at first glance I do not recall seeing that option

Great I'll be waiting for your response. It should be on the "game" settings.