Corsair Community

Brand New Voyager a1600 Hotspot temps at 104 resulting to shutdowns

16 hours ago, Langlache said:

Update: Corsair is sending literally the last available laptop worldwide, but it's a DE version 😢German keyboard looks atrocious and everything will be in german on the laptop. My sweet sweet money..

Other option is to refund me, but that means I will loose close to 400-500 EUR because Amazon does not refund shipping and import taxes...

In other news, the new driver looks sweet and more stable. It will release soon hopefully for the rest. Still no in game overlay though.

It fixed the crashes by.. downclocking the GPU to oblivion. 1100 mhz on SW BF2 and 1300-1400 to Everspace. I used to get 100 FPS on SW and 120-130 on Everspace and now you can see the average on the screeshot. It takes into consideration the hotspot temps and does not let them pass 103 but that results in abysmal performance in my specific case.

Time Spy also decreased by 1000 and now I get 9400 score. 

In a normal system it should be far more stable and improve perfomance. It's just the faulty gpu / thermals that force it to downlclock it to oblivion to avoid a crash

If you want me to test something go ahead and ask as I wait for the replacement.

image.thumb.png.167bb9972839435d751a58b9d7ee35ef.png

csm_Voyager_a1600_18_8b69a7d409.jpg

sorry if this doesnt help but I just think its hilarious somehow that I, as a german (austrian), ordered my voyager explicitly from origin (US based, to 100% ensure that I get an US Layout)

but at least corsair tries to sort it out somehow..

i mean you could ask support if you can try to replace the keyboard.. just switch your old keyboard with the keyboard from the replacement model

9 minutes ago, elytscha said:

sorry if this doesnt help but I just think its hilarious somehow that I, as a german (austrian), ordered my voyager explicitly from origin (US based, to 100% ensure that I get an US Layout)

but at least corsair tries to sort it out somehow..

i mean you could ask support if you can try to replace the keyboard.. just switch your old keyboard with the keyboard from the replacement model

I thought about it. But the buttons are of different shapes and the layout is different too. And the keyboard has its holes drilled to the top of the chassis making it imposible to swap without switching the whole chassis along with it. Take left Shift for example and compare it with the picture attached

20 hours ago, Langlache said:

I thought about it. But the buttons are of different shapes and the layout is different too. And the keyboard has its holes drilled to the top of the chassis making it imposible to swap without switching the whole chassis along with it. Take left Shift for example and compare it with the picture attached

How's the performance with the newer one and the newer drivers??

Edited by User3

2 minutes ago, User3 said:

How's the performance with the newer one and the newer drivers??

New laptop will arrive in a week.. I had to switch back to the normal drivers because I kept getting shutdowns. With normal drivers I managed to "avoid crashes" by limiting the CPU to 80% inside the windows power plan. This workaround did not work with the new beta driver so I couldnt keep running them. But overall it felt more stable in windows. Even switching between screens for example. Perfomance wise I cannot have a picture because of the situation.

• Like 1

@Langlache I saw uncomfortably high hotspot temps too whenever I heavily loaded the laptop.  Bordering on 105+c on the GPU, with the GPU core at 90c, and the CPU pegged at 95-97c.  Never had the system reboot or power-off from this, yet it was constantly thermal throttling.  My hotspot delta was in ~10-15c range.

This is what triggered my ventures toying around with eGPU's, since the CPU temps or GPU temps on their own were fine.  The cooler just seemed completely incapable of handling both concurrently -- and so I figured I'd just stop using the 6800M.  Hadn't thought of this too much at the time, yet going back to der8auer's review of the Voyager, you'll notice the interesting temperature testing where he only runs Cinebench {only hits the CPU and does not touch the GPU, then concludes that the Voyager has great-cooling}.

Whenever I'd called in and expressed concern over the temps, I too was just told that this was "normal" / working as intended.  That the laptop was supposed to run at tjmax, and that this was by design.  Wasn't happy with that answer, had no intention to use the machine that way, and ultimately gave up on it completely whenever I couldn't get the GPD G1 working for portability.

I'll be curious to see how your replacement works out.  I never bothered going the RMA route, since I even got some hands on with another person's Voyager, and it ran just as hot as mine.

In my older posts, I mentioned that I tried re-pasting the laptop.  I'd since then replaced all thermal pads and checked mounting pressure multiple times.  Reinstalled the cooler so much that I eventually stripped a screw / had to replace one of the spring-screws in the vapor chamber.

Edited by A2Razor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, A2Razor said:

@Langlache I saw uncomfortably high hotspot temps too whenever I heavily loaded the laptop.  Bordering on 105+c on the GPU, with the GPU core at 90c, and the CPU pegged at 95-97c.  Never had the system reboot or power-off from this, yet it was constantly thermal throttling.  My hotspot delta was in ~10-15c range.

This is what triggered my ventures toying around with eGPU's, since the CPU temps or GPU temps on their own were fine.  The cooler just seemed completely incapable of handling both concurrently -- and so I figured I'd just stop using the 6800M.  Hadn't thought of this too much at the time, yet going back to der8auer's review of the Voyager, you'll notice the interesting temperature testing where he only runs Cinebench {only hits the CPU and does not touch the GPU, then concludes that the Voyager has great-cooling}.

Whenever I'd called in and expressed concern over the temps, I too was just told that this was "normal" / working as intended.  That the laptop was supposed to run at tjmax, and that this was by design.  Wasn't happy with that answer, had no intention to use the machine that way, and ultimately gave up on it completely whenever I couldn't get the GPD G1 working for portability.

I'll be curious to see how your replacement works out.  I never bothered going the RMA route, since I even got some hands on with another person's Voyager, and it ran just as hot as mine.

In my older posts, I mentioned that I tried re-pasting the laptop.  I'd since then replaced all thermal pads and checked mounting pressure multiple times.  Reinstalled the cooler so much that I eventually stripped a screw / had to replace one of the spring-screws in the vapor chamber.

Interesting... Did you ever have shutdowns? I would never want my laptop running full time at max temps.. for longevity reasons 😞

Did you disable the eGPU and notice a difference? Replacement laptop will arrive tomorrow hopefully. I am curious to see the difference. Do you think it might be power related instead of thermals then? Or just a faulty dGPU?

I limited the CPU to 90% and disabled boost. Now I get no crashes but abysmal performance. 

Edited by Langlache

On 2/18/2024 at 7:05 AM, A2Razor said:

@A2Razor and @Langlache

Do you have the R9 version of it?

From what I'm able to collect the R9 do run a bit hotter than the R7 can't explain why. I do have the R7 version and under heavy load it does hit 100c on occasions but not for a prolonged time (usually when loading games or at the most heavy task that you could put the system on). Considering that I do game for a long period of time (at least 2-5 hours) it sustain the same temps over that time. Usually it hovers around between 90-95 hot spot and average temps stays at the 80s. The only doubt I do have is that when I open Corsair diagnostics  and when I briefly used the latest drivers using the overlay from AMD it does shows the CPU temps at 95c as you said while the integrated graphics variating the between the 75-80s c I would like to know if this is the hotspot temp of the CPU or just the actual temp of it because I can't understand how the iGPU temp could be different from the CPU being practically the same die. Sometimes I feel deceived by that. Maybe Corsair hiding something?? Either way I've never felt the system throttling, it does keep performance and I've never noticed a drop in performance, maybe a frame drop but is usually very brief and related to the game optimization or shader compiling.

And to wrap things up I do believe that there could be a chipset bug that is leading to all of this (or maybe I'm wrong). Since the driver from Corsair does not have the overlay I use game bar to monitor everything due to the convenience using this overlay it those shows the GPU utilization as expected reaching the higher %s even reaching the 99% when using it under heavy tasks or just by increasing the graphical settings if a game, while the CPU utilization always and I mean ALWAYS stays around the 5-15% which does not seems ok in my opinion, shouldn't it be higher if the game it's demanding for both the GPU and CPU?? So I truly don't know what's going wrong there, if am wrong oleas correct because I'll like to understand that behavior from the CPU.