Corsair Community

7000D - Airflow Configuration

Issa

Hi all, this is my first build.  I am only using air cooling.  I've got a Noctua NH-U12A cooler, 3 front high speed 140mm intake fans, and one high speed 140mm exhaust fan in the back.

My question is whether or not I should put in any more fans?  I've got the intake and exhaust fans always running faster than the CPU intake/exhaust fans.  At CPU idle, I can feel air blowing out of the back of the case.

1. Should I add more intake fans on the side?
  2. Should I add an exhaust fan at the top (right above the CPU cooler)?

See images below for reference.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20230904_172428819.thumb.jpg.d169b3ef8a23a3d538cef32342fbc6af.jpg

Was thinking if I was to add an exhaust fan, it would be here.

PXL_20230904_172404020.thumb.jpg.43d4ce3f64f6f9b0ec914fac90e6d5e4.jpg

The open spots for the side fans.

PXL_20230904_172418978.thumb.jpg.6011cd029d4d4eff0bedac2dedb5c02e.jpg

PXL_20230904_172412136.thumb.jpg.52331abc634b5abc7c6622e3b30072c5.jpg

You don’t need side fans for this. Those won’t do much more than send the front intake into a swirl and that’s not helpful with the air cooler blow through setup. 

I don’t think you need another top fan either, but that one might be more wait and see. You’ve got enough front intake for to displace the air around the RAM and top of MB components and that heat should float out the top on its own. You can experiment with a single top exhaust to see if it helps with internal temp, but it also could pull more gpu heat across those components rather than letting it go out the back. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:13 AM, c-attack said:

You can experiment with a single top exhaust to see if it helps with internal temp, but it also could pull more gpu heat across those components rather than letting it go out the back. 

Good point, I didn't think about that.  I haven't put the GPU under load yet so I'll test that out.  Thank you @c-attack for the feedback

Looking again, there is a lot of space up top.  If you want to put 1-2 fans up top as exhaust, it should not impact the lower areas of the case.  It might be helpful for pulling additional air out of the space between the air box and the motherboard (VRM, RAM, etc).  Even just some low speed turning will expedite the air exchange.  

It's not going to be powerful enough at that distance to overcome the two radiator and rear exhaust.  Maybe in a case where they are closer together, but further away at low to medium speed it should help.  

Yes. That should work with the rear exhaust to help draw the air up and out. 

I think that's good.  You only really need it to help pull warm air from the outer side of the air cooler coming off the GPU so it doesn't linger there trapped against the motherboard.  Any type of genuine fan interaction issue will cause the fans to make some strange noises.  I don't think that can happen even if you up the speed up top.  Should be good to go.  

• Thanks 1