Corsair Community

PC Black Screen After Gigabyte 3080 Install [Connector Recommendation?]

Hi there!

I recently upgraded my GPU from an old Gigabyte 970 to a Gigabyte 3080. I have an RM850 (2019) PSU. PC had always worked fine but since installing the 3080 I will randomly receive a black screen freeze which turns into a no display input screen. It sticks at this point and I have to restart my PC. Mostly I use my PC for gaming and the issue occurs on FPS games such as Apex but has occurred on a few others such as Rocket League or Factorio.

I simply had switched out the GPU and utilized the PSU provided PCIE single to double 6+2 connector pins. All 16pins are inserted into the GPU. I don't believe there are any component issues unless the 3080 itself has an issue.

Mostly what I've found online is a suggestion to purchase 2 separate new 8pin connectors, but I'm really not sure what to do.

If I were to purchase new connectors, could someone recommend proper ones so I do not cause any issues on my PSU?

Uploaded my parts list for reference.

Thank you.

Nickels_PC_Part_List.PNG

You should have more PCIE cables with your PSU already. Just connect one that should be in the box to the PSU, and on to the GPU, leaving the pigtail connectors hanging. from both cables (only one 8 pin connected per cable).

Otherwise, you can buy any Corsair Type 3 or type 4 PCIE cable. Both work with your PSU.

• Like 1

Sometimes you need the obvious pointed out to you.. of course I have the cables in the PSU box. I will connect them as you've described and see if the issue persists. With any luck I won't see the problem anymore and will mark as solution. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately this did not end up working for me. I finally was able to get some PC time and connect the PSU to GPU using 2 PCIe cables. Per usual, in the middle of an Apex game I black screened to a no display screen and had to force restart my computer. Any other ideas?

I'm wondering if I have a faulty card at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 10:27 PM, LeDoyen said:

You should have more PCIE cables with your PSU already. Just connect one that should be in the box to the PSU, and on to the GPU, leaving the pigtail connectors hanging. from both cables (only one 8 pin connected per cable).

Otherwise, you can buy any Corsair Type 3 or type 4 PCIE cable. Both work with your PSU.

Any other thoughts maybe on this? After adding in an additional cord nothing has changed.. I'm thinking maybe a faulty 3080 which is unfortunate because it's out of return period.

No idea no ^^'

I'd open the windows events log to look for all the alarms it logged, see what they are. could be many things that cause a black screen, not necesarely a bad gpu. If the ram is unstable, as happens with old bios versions sometimes, it could cause random errors too and crash. could be nvidia driver issues, maybe reinstall them if you didn't when you switched cards..

The events log may tell you what went wrong.

• Like 1