Corsair Community

K100 keyboard randomly starts typing on its own

Doesn't seem to be limited to K100, I just had the same issue with the volume control on my K70 RGB MK.2. Killing iCue didn't help, had to unplug the keyboard.
Both iCue and device firmware are up-to-date.

On 12/17/2022 at 5:26 AM, spergcannon said:

absolutely hate to double-post, but I can't find a way to edit my last respojnse.

It happened again! This time while just using a web browser and streaming media. (Please forgive the video topic, I'm an architectural student.)

Please see the video: 

Edited by chill3r

• Corsair Employee
6 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

Thanks for confirming @spergcannon.  Have you opened a support ticket yet?  We would like to try and capture some of these units for testing to see why this behavior is occurring.

absolutely hate to double-post, but I can't find a way to edit my last respojnse.

It happened again! This time while just using a web browser and streaming media. (Please forgive the video topic, I'm an architectural student.)

Please see the video: 

Thanks for sending the video.  Not sure if these are linked to the same issue, but regardless the keyboard should not be behaving like that.  I've created a ticket for you in our support system.  The support team should reach out shortly.  We do offer advanced RMA options where you can receive a replacement first before sending in the original unit, that way you are not without a keyboard.

• Corsair Employee

I have the exact same issue, bought a new K100 keyboard and it randomly starts spamming the key until I disconnect and reconnect the USB. I exchanged the keyboard for a new one and it still does the same thing. I use an ASUS z590 plus WiFi motherboard and I only have the keyboard and a Logitech G502 connected to my motherboard. I have a Corsair PSU 850x. The keyboard isn’t even detectable on icue when the spamming happens. I’ve tried resetting the keyboard and I’ve forced updates on it as well, reinstalled icue several times too.  It is quite frustrating that this is happening and there is no solution to it so far. 

Hi @Crystals, I've submitted a support ticket for your unit as well.  We would like to try and capture these units for analysis of the behavior being exhibited.  The support team should reach out shortly to your ticket.

Adding to the list, I've the same issue, new keyboard works fine for a while while gaming it will appear to stop responding until the usb is unplugged/plugged back in,  I opened up a notepad to see what was coming from the keyboard when it's not responding in game and it's hammering out whatever key I was pressing at the time it stopped responding.

• Corsair Employee
2 hours ago, Kreshant said:

Adding to the list, I've the same issue, new keyboard works fine for a while while gaming it will appear to stop responding until the usb is unplugged/plugged back in,  I opened up a notepad to see what was coming from the keyboard when it's not responding in game and it's hammering out whatever key I was pressing at the time it stopped responding.

If you could please create a support ticket detailing the exact issue you are having with the keyboard and then PM me the ticket number I will be able to get the forwarded to our support team for further assistance.

I bought my keyboard about year and a half ago. At first it seemed fine but then it started what i called at the time "misbehaving" where it would just randomly start typing in words and i thought it could be some magic buttons i might have pressed or pressing causing this to happen. It come to the point that it got embarrassing because i was using the keyboard and it started typing some confidential conversations i had with my boss (i work for a financial sector) to a supplier we had a demo. I really didn't think much of it at the time and unplugged the keyboard and put it back in the box. I could have lost my job over this. Truth be told, i was even scared, embarrassed and stressed to admit to my wife that i spent a silly amount of money on this keyboard and this is what it has ended up being. 

I really liked the keyboard and would have loved to have used it for as long as it worked so really do hope that Corsair does come up with a fix or at least do the right thing and replace these keyboards. This does not look good on Corsair by any means.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, Corsair Notepad said:

If you could please create a support ticket detailing the exact issue you are having with the keyboard and then PM me the ticket number I will be able to get the forwarded to our support team for further assistance.

Hi Corsair Notepad and Corsair Nick,

I hope you are both doing well.

Can you confirm if other Corsair keyboards are affected by these issues? Like others in this thread I own the K70 RGB MK II and the K95 Platinum. Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
On 12/22/2022 at 9:34 AM, Hg227 said:

Hi Corsair Notepad and Corsair Nick,

I hope you are both doing well.

Can you confirm if other Corsair keyboards are affected by these issues? Like others in this thread I own the K70 RGB MK II and the K95 Platinum. Thanks.

No other keyboards are effected by the hardware macro recording bug.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:40 PM, Corsair Notepad said:

No other keyboards are effected by the hardware macro recording bug.

Sir. I feel like I'm really done with this keyboard. I think I just came out with a different but related issue to what's happening to everybody else here: goddamn keys just being spammed on their own for no reason, whether it's when I'm gaming, typing, or doing whatever some of the keys just start to randomly spam on their own without even touching the macro keys.  it happens at least 3 times a days when constant gaming or typing. Any solution at all for this?

I have the same issue. First I was think my mouse make problems but the Keyboard write only the "o" letter. Many times aand you can not stop it.

If you type the "o" letter it is not there. You can only restartr the system and than you can type the "o" letter again.

Please fix it. This product is very expensive and this is not what I await from a product like this.

Well holy crap i am glad i found this forum thread!!!! Firstly this is insane!!! I honestly thought i had been hacked.. I went out and brought a whole new PC cause I didn't think within my wildest dreams that a keyboard could do something like this.. But after comfirming it wasn't the new pc had been hacked and my personal information hadn't been snatched up i am glad i found this.. Kinda annoyed i wasted so much money tho

Is there any solution to this? I just got k100 and its randomly typing things and moving my cursor, while signing up to this site it has pressed 9 twice and h once and moved the cursor back... what is this Corsair? I need a keyboard that does what I tell it to not just randomly types characters

Looks like i'm another case of this....having my k100 "lock up" every couple of hours. Latest firmware/icue version, have clean uninstalled, reset keyboard with ESC etc. all the usual troubleshooting steps.

When it does so, if i was not pressing a key at the time it simply becomes non responsive to input.

If I was pressing a key at the time, it will act as if that key is still held down, IE if i'm holding down W, it'll continue holding down W. Got me killed in games multiple times now.

I've opened a support ticket.

I am having the exact same behavior with my k100. It's been working fine for a few weeks now (just bought it for Christmas). Now its doing this on the regular. PC restart didnt fix the issue only unplugging did and that only lasted for 15mins or so...

What would be the next steps to get this corrected? Quite frustrating considering how new and how pricey the keyboard was.  

• Corsair Employee

I am having the exact same behavior with my k100. It's been working fine for a few weeks now (just bought it for Christmas). Now its doing this on the regular. PC restart didnt fix the issue only unplugging did and that only lasted for 15mins or so...

What would be the next steps to get this corrected? Quite frustrating considering how new and how pricey the keyboard was.  

@Born2Lose13, I've created a support ticket so we can capture your unit for internal testing.  One of the technical support team members will reach out shortly to assist you with sending the unit in.

• Corsair Employee
On 1/6/2023 at 5:20 PM, Arnham said:

Looks like i'm another case of this....having my k100 "lock up" every couple of hours. Latest firmware/icue version, have clean uninstalled, reset keyboard with ESC etc. all the usual troubleshooting steps.

When it does so, if i was not pressing a key at the time it simply becomes non responsive to input.

If I was pressing a key at the time, it will act as if that key is still held down, IE if i'm holding down W, it'll continue holding down W. Got me killed in games multiple times now.

I've opened a support ticket.

Hi @Arnham, I've escalated this to the Technical Support team, and you should receive a response shortly.  They will provide you with instructions on how to send the unit in for us to evaluate.

Hello, I purchased this keyboard back in November, and it randomly locks up, I can tell its not working due to the lights just being stuck.  only way to get it started is to unplug and re plug it back again. i owned it for 3 weeks and would randomly do this once per day, 2x per day, or sometimes     none in 3 days... I got fed up and exchanged it, thinking its the keyboard, since my old keyboard worked just fine.

When i pluged it in new, it automatically started the firmware update (1st Keyboard).

2nd keyboard doing the same thing, I thought it could be the icue software... I did a clean install, and it still do the same thing .... I wiped out my entire computer and installed only ICue thinking it could be asus software .. nope ... still the same.

I just came across this, forum and its definitely the keyboard firmware is the culprit.

its a good thing that I'm a total tech member at BestBuy and I can easily just swap this one out for a different keyboard, others are stuck on a keyboard that it is not working as it should be. $250 is alot of money for a product that does not provide a good experience. this does not include all the time i spent troubleshooting this issue.

• Corsair Employee
15 hours ago, rghong said:

Hello, I purchased this keyboard back in November, and it randomly locks up, I can tell its not working due to the lights just being stuck.  only way to get it started is to unplug and re plug it back again. i owned it for 3 weeks and would randomly do this once per day, 2x per day, or sometimes     none in 3 days... I got fed up and exchanged it, thinking its the keyboard, since my old keyboard worked just fine.

When i pluged it in new, it automatically started the firmware update (1st Keyboard).

2nd keyboard doing the same thing, I thought it could be the icue software... I did a clean install, and it still do the same thing .... I wiped out my entire computer and installed only ICue thinking it could be asus software .. nope ... still the same.

I just came across this, forum and its definitely the keyboard firmware is the culprit.

its a good thing that I'm a total tech member at BestBuy and I can easily just swap this one out for a different keyboard, others are stuck on a keyboard that it is not working as it should be. $250 is alot of money for a product that does not provide a good experience. this does not include all the time i spent troubleshooting this issue.

Hi @rghong, the behavior you described sounds different from what is being experienced by other members in this thread.  Can you take a screen cap of the automatic update you are prompted with?  Usually the prompt in iCUE is to notify owners that their device(s) have an update, and is an opt in procedure opposed to an automatic update.  Can you also provide your system specs, iCUE version, K100 FW version, and part number off the back of the keyboard?  Please also confirm if you have the keyboard plugged into a USB hub, docking station, or KVM.  Our devices should be plugged directly into the motherboard for the best experience.

@Corsair Nick  

It's Plugged in directly to my motherboard USB 3.0 port.  Like I explained, this is my 2nd keyboard, also there is another link of other members posting the exact the same issues that i'm having, I just clicked on this topic and saw more of these.

I've never had any issues at all.  Just this keyboard randomly Freeze 1-2x per day,  and the only way to fix this is to un plug and re plug again.  restarting wont work.

Screenshot_20230110_123606.png

Screenshot_20230110_123653.png

@Corsair Nick

its crazy that I googled "K100 randomly freeze"  this is the first thing that popped, and it is the exact.  I mean exact symptoms i'm having.  I bought the most expensive keyboard you corsair have to offer.  Price is not an issue for me, but experience and performance is.  I'm hoping this gets fixed, I like how this keyboard feel compared to K95 XT.