Corsair Community

K100 keyboard randomly starts typing on its own

Made an account here so I could throw my hat in the ring.  My husband got this keyboard for me for Christmas, and it has been giving me issues ever since.  I've been trying to roll with it, it was a nice gift and the keyboard is pleasant to use, but this ghost writing issue needs to get fixed.  We are well past the return window unfortunately, so we can't get our money back, but it is affecting our willingness to buy from Corsair in the future.

Sometimes it happens before I even log into windows, sometimes mid-session, unplugging and plugging back in fixes it temporarily.  I actually went a week or so with no instances, but this week we're back at it happening at least once a day.

I recently bought one for my wife and myself. At 225 dollars per keyboard, thought it was a big expense. I then bought my wife a 3090 used from eBay and both arrived at the same time to install in my wife's PC. I installed great and everything worked perfect. A few days later on Super Bowl Sunday, she starts screaming saying her PC has been hacked and is typing on its own. I unplug ethernet and still continues to do this typing like a hacker has control of PC. I did not know what was happening. First thought was hacker, and GPU had some kind of malware on it. I called the GPU manufacturer and found out it had warranty. I uninstalled GPU and now it is on its way to California to be inspected and vbios flashed. I was reading how a GPU can be infected with malware and was convinced that's what it was. But today, wife calls me up at work five days later and says its happening again after I formatted and reinstalled windows. I literally could not believe it. My wife had mentioned that perhaps it was the 225 dollar keyboard we had purchased but I dismissed the notion as how can that happen and to such a well branded name as Corsair. I started doing investigation on the K100 and literally fell out of my chair. I wasted 200 dollars shipping a perfectly fine GPU back to manufacturer and today bought a new NVME.2 drive. What gets me irked is the fact Corsair has known about this issue since August of 2022 and yet the products have not had a recall and pulled from the shelves. The aggravation it has caused because I literally spent hours troubleshooting her PC and no warning came with the product that this issue exists and persists. This is totally unacceptable!! I want some kind of compensation for my troubles at the very least.       

20 hours ago, K100RU said:

I recently bought one for my wife and myself. At 225 dollars per keyboard, thought it was a big expense. I then bought my wife a 3090 used from eBay and both arrived at the same time to install in my wife's PC. I installed great and everything worked perfect. A few days later on Super Bowl Sunday, she starts screaming saying her PC has been hacked and is typing on its own. I unplug ethernet and still continues to do this typing like a hacker has control of PC. I did not know what was happening. First thought was hacker, and GPU had some kind of malware on it. I called the GPU manufacturer and found out it had warranty. I uninstalled GPU and now it is on its way to California to be inspected and vbios flashed. I was reading how a GPU can be infected with malware and was convinced that's what it was. But today, wife calls me up at work five days later and says its happening again after I formatted and reinstalled windows. I literally could not believe it. My wife had mentioned that perhaps it was the 225 dollar keyboard we had purchased but I dismissed the notion as how can that happen and to such a well branded name as Corsair. I started doing investigation on the K100 and literally fell out of my chair. I wasted 200 dollars shipping a perfectly fine GPU back to manufacturer and today bought a new NVME.2 drive. What gets me irked is the fact Corsair has known about this issue since August of 2022 and yet the products have not had a recall and pulled from the shelves. The aggravation it has caused because I literally spent hours troubleshooting her PC and no warning came with the product that this issue exists and persists. This is totally unacceptable!! I want some kind of compensation for my troubles at the very least.       

Don't forget hours of troubleshooting and your time wasted.  They need to issue a recall on the K100 Keyboard.  I still see it being sold everywhere.  

hi, got the same issues of freezing and firmware error for k100 keyboard

I got the update of v. 1.11.34 and when i search for update icue re-send me there was an error on update.

Online there are no firmware for downgrade.

Please help and fix this firmware. It's start to be annoying re-plug usb for solving -.-

Edited by Cohadien
  • Like 1

Same Issue here with my K100 i have noticed that espechaly during games the Keyboard Freezes and does ofthen press some other Button im nowhere near to press (for Example f12 when im on WASD and on Mouse) Its plugged in on my Motherboard USB 3.0

I have no controllers or Elgato Stream Deck connected 

Im on Firmware Update v. 1.11.34

image.thumb.png.6511855284a21aa9b6a97428feb242ae.pngimage.thumb.png.108bafec60ea6bed07df9c9556bb6db0.png

Same issue here. Straight out of the box no edits except changing the Hz and light profile.

The startmenu randomly pops up in BF2042 and Wreckfest. And today it got stuck reverse in Wreckfest. 

Couldn't press any keys, no reaction. Had to unplug and replug to get it to stop. 

Im also on Firmware Update v. 1.11.34

Plugged out the USB passthrough, but the Windows menu popped up again in-game. 

Same issue on 8000 and 4000 Hz.

Coming from K70 RGB, this is really disappointing. 

Edited by symmetry
Added details

Is anyone receiving a response from submitting a support ticket for the k100 ghost typing and ghost clicking issue? All I have gotten is the automated message that my request has been received and then, that it had been updated when I sent an additional message asking for a response. I am hoping for a response that an update to fix the issue has been released, but if there is nothing that can be done to fix the issue, I would like to be given the courtesy of a response to let me know, and I will begin a return process. 

On 2/17/2023 at 9:30 PM, K100RU said:

I too thought that I had been hacked. I panicked, called bank and credit cards, used my phone to change every password that I could think of, zero'd out and reinstalled windows. Then while I was re-setting up my pc, the ghost typing and clicking started again when I tried to type in passwords. That is when I thought that it had to be the keyboard. I was surprised, disappointed and angry to find that this has been an ongoing issue posted about in the forums at least since August, 2022. Why is Corsair, which is a trusted, reliable company with other great-quality products, silent on this issue?

Edited by Rebeljen
wording

• Corsair Employee

Wanted to chime in and let you all know we are still working towards a solution for the behavior that is being seen.  Don't have any specific details to share on when or what the solutions will be at this time, but we are progressing and want to improve your product experience.  As soon as we have more information to share, we'll post an update for all of you.

The workaround that VampiricAlchamist posted does seem to improve the behavior.  If you are experiencing the keyboard typing on its own, please try the steps in the post below to see it helps until we provide a more permanent solution.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

Wanted to chime in and let you all know we are still working towards a solution for the behavior that is being seen.  Don't have any specific details to share on when or what the solutions will be at this time, but we are progressing and want to improve your product experience.  As soon as we have more information to share, we'll post an update for all of you.

The workaround that VampiricAlchamist posted does seem to improve the behavior.  If you are experiencing the keyboard typing on its own, please try the steps in the post below to see it helps until we provide a more permanent solution.

I deactivated the macro setting on the wheel, but it still did random presses on keys. It was deactivated when it went bananas on one occasion and later froze random lights as well, with no connection to the lighting profile. So yesterday I replugged the device, did not plug in the USB passthrough and deactivated all settings on the wheel, I did a Battlefield 2042 session without seemingly any issues, but I see that it has opened the Windows menu during the night.

It's been 7 months since the error became known, I don't think the problem will be solved in the future either. I suspect there is a serious hardware error which means that all keyboards would have to be replaced and because that would be too expensive, corsair has become quiet

Edited by donesteban1989

Just wanted to add my experience in here. Just bought the K100 recently and have had this same ghost typing problem (which was quite the scare initially). Really disappointed that this is an issue with such an expensive keyboard ($250). This keyboard was typing things randomly at night while my computer was asleep and sending out info like passwords.

Turning off the macro recording wheel in iCUE has fixed it temporarily but I am highly concerned about the issue returning, and it could happen at any moment when I am not paying attention. This should be something I need to worry about with a keyboard.

The rest of the keyboard is great but I cannot keep using it if this issue is not resolved permanently.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:08 AM, symmetry said:

I deactivated the macro setting on the wheel, but it still did random presses on keys. It was deactivated when it went bananas on one occasion and later froze random lights as well, with no connection to the lighting profile. So yesterday I replugged the device, did not plug in the USB passthrough and deactivated all settings on the wheel, I did a Battlefield 2042 session without seemingly any issues, but I see that it has opened the Windows menu during the night.

It random pressed the F1 key while gaming. I opened iCue to check if all was disabled on the wheel. Found that the Keyboard didn't show in iCue and the lights didn't move, but it still worked. Had to re-plug it to make it show in iCue so I could check the settings again. I'm giving this 20 days until I return it... 

Just thought I’d add this, as I don’t think anyone has mentioned this before, but I used to have this exact keyboard. It broke (my fault) and I ended up buying a new one. This new one has this issue and my original k100 never did. Hopefully they find a solution soon.

I just bought this keyboard, and after a few days of using it and editing video / my project had random parts deleted, random apps open, and the keyboard was typing up a storm!!!! I googled it and have seen this is a common issue for months now, how is this not fixed it? Ridiculous you are selling a keyboard over $200 that hasn't worked for months!!!!!

On 2/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, NicT said:

Just thought I’d add this, as I don’t think anyone has mentioned this before, but I used to have this exact keyboard. It broke (my fault) and I ended up buying a new one. This new one has this issue and my original k100 never did. Hopefully they find a solution soon.

Look back, on the forums, this issue has been happening since last year. Yet they still sell the keyboards in every store even though they don't work!!!! Can't leave this thing plugged in, who knows what it will get into and delete and wreck havoc on!!!!!

Hi,
I had a similar problem with my K100 keyboard.

Randomly the keyboard typed "666666666666666666666666 .... "

Disabling ICUE >>Control Wheal >> Macro Recording - did not help.

Changing ICUE>> Device Settings >> Polling Rate - did not help.

I uninstalled the software for Elgato Stream Deck - and the problem went away immediately.

K100 is my first Corsair keyboard but considering the price of this keyboard (it is IMHO very expensive) and the problems created - this is rather my last Corsair keyboard.

Regards,

New K100 keyboard here. Been using it for 2 days and its already typing on its own. This is disappointing Corsair. Here I thought you were very good on making hardware, but it seems I was wrong. Owned some RAM from Corsair earlier, and it died after less than a year. Seems to me like Corsair needs to hire real engineers. Oh, the keyboard looks fantastic though, and its not bad to type on either. But keylogging or whatever this is, is not what I had in mind. Hopefully people haven't lost accounts, jobs or other important stuff because of this mess. 

Wonder how long you are going to take to figure out what is going on, since this has been an ongoing problem for months already.

Well, after sending the last comment, the keyboard startet doing all sorts of weird things. I use Greenshot for screenshots, and the last thing it tried to do was to mark a part of my screen to take a screenshot of. Also filmed it with my mobile phone, so I have some of the behaviour on video. I can only guess this is an upcoming disaster for Corsair, most likely ending up in court by somebody that lost something important because of the strange behaviour.

I used to feel like it only happened once per session, but that is not the case.  I've had it happen several times, one time regurgitating my password onto a discord server.  Fortunately it was a server of close friends, but it has made me realize I can't actually leave the computer on with this thing running.  Have to log out of windows.

Not sure how people can put up with this type of issues for months ... This have been going on (as I know of, and reported 8-2022) Tons and tons of people, and im sure others dont post.  They still have no fix and keep selling it.   I got rid of mine and went with a different keyboard.  Best decision ive made

Any fix to this currently? I've been having the same issue about a week after I bought the keyboard at Best Buy, So far I have had the "W" and "E" key ghost type without being pressed the most consistently, and while it does this the keyboard is unresponsive and the only way to make it stop is to unplug it, its plugged in directly to the PC, it isn't recording any macros. Sometimes it does go unresponsive with no key being pressed. Running iCUE v. 4. 33. 138 Keyboard v. 1. 11. 39. If I catch it doing this again I'll try to post a video of it.

10 hours ago, Cgann said:

Any fix to this currently? I've been having the same issue about a week after I bought the keyboard at Best Buy, So far I have had the "W" and "E" key ghost type without being pressed the most consistently, and while it does this the keyboard is unresponsive and the only way to make it stop is to unplug it, its plugged in directly to the PC, it isn't recording any macros. Sometimes it does go unresponsive with no key being pressed. Running iCUE v. 4. 33. 138 Keyboard v. 1. 11. 39. If I catch it doing this again I'll try to post a video of it.

buy another keyboard.  return it while you are on a refund window