Corsair Community

K100 keyboard randomly starts typing on its own

I wonder how after 200 days the issue with this "PREMIUM KEYBOARD" still isn't fixed, because for me having such an issue with the product would be top priority to fix.

Are the developers of the firmware so incompetent that they cannot fix it even tho it actually worked fine before the version 1.x of the firmware?

Or corsair just does not care that their 200+$ keyboard is unusable at this point.

Confirmed macro button issue is one cause. In my case I am running the keyboard straight out of the box with zero firmware updates or software. Worked flawless for 4 days until my first runaway incident, cause by an over affectionate feline activating the macro record function. The keyboard then recorded 15 minutes of me playing Destiny2 and stashed it on the G6 macro key. Now every time the G6 key is hit or worse just because it feels like it, the keyboard will start mashing WASD and other related strokes furiously. This lasts as long as it takes me to unplug the keyboard (only way to stop it I've found thus far). Side note, Corsair learn from this and put a power switch ON THE KEYBOARD, crawling under the desk to unplug to power cycle/ESC reset SUCKS. Fix was to simply find the offending marco and record over it.  I'll edit this post shortly to give credit to the first chap to bring up the macro recording as the problem, so far he seems spot on. From what I can tell support has been fiddling with the firmware which has made the issue WORSE. If you have updated the firmware and are within your return window I highly suggest returning. Presently they are now chasing their tails with firmware issues. Corsair I say this with the utmost respect because I have been using your RAM and Power Supplies exclusively in my builds for over a decade. If this needs a recall best to bite the bullet than trash your otherwise stellar reputation by abusing end users as your testers until you get a grasp on this bleeding edge tech.

Apparently the forums won't allow me to edit my own post so additional post to give credit where due.  Super shout out thanks to spergcannon for mentioning the macro recording as a potential source back on December 10th, 2022. Until further notice I'm agreeing that was the issue all along. Further posts will come if I have further issues. In the mean time, watch closely for the M lit up on the keyboard middle dash lights (labeled F in the manual) if it is it's recording your keystrokes people 😉 

23 minutes ago, Mandeville said:

Man I thought the tech-fairy fixed the keyboard, I didn't have issues for five days straight.  But it started back up today with the ghost typing.

Something to try that is so far working for me. First reset so it stops typing. I've found several minutes worth of use recorded under a macro key before so resetting is really the only sure fire way to stop the macro that I know of. Next open a notepad and check all 6 of your macro keys, if you don't use them they should be set to simply 1-6. If any of them start typing in the notepad other then just the corresponding number (or a macro you actually use) that key has a macro on it which can include minutes of nothing making you think the keyboard just isn't responding. Might have to reset again at this point depending how long it is. Next set the wheel in Macro mode and record that key back to a default number. The number just helps me know it's blank/cleared really. Looks like this. Press middle wheel button to red (Macro Mode), while red hold middle wheel button down until a small flashing M lights up on the left side of the center display at the top of the keyboard. Once the M is flashing it's ready to record a macro. Press the offending G key that needs to be cleared, the number associated, then that same G key again and the lit up M will turn off indicating it is done. I have found various ramblings recorded, I'm not sure what always is triggering macro mode to start recording my use to a key but I have cats so I'm blaming them for now as I know I'm not using that wheel button.

• Like 1

Ok, this is absolutely ridiculous. This keyboard costs entirely too much to have an issue like this go on as long as it has. When is this going to be resolved? Are you offering customers their money back at least? I have bought nothing but corsair keyboards for years, but if this isn't fixed, it very well be my last one.

• Like 1

Bought the K100 in December and got the ghost typing issue almost immediately, although very sporadically. 

Today it started and is constant, even after unplugging the USB and reattaching it and attempting to reset the keyboard. At this point my keyboard is basically unusable, as it's sending messages to people any time I have Discord in focus. The fact that this has been a known issue since August is ridiculous.

On 3/18/2023 at 10:53 PM, Tech311 said:

Ok, this is absolutely ridiculous. This keyboard costs entirely too much to have an issue like this go on as long as it has. When is this going to be resolved? Are you offering customers their money back at least? I have bought nothing but corsair keyboards for years, but if this isn't fixed, it very well be my last one.

Have you tried my trick above and confirmed if you had any macros recorded, needing clearing? I am trying to get someone, anyone, to confirm the macro check did NOT solve the issue. I have purchased a second K100 refurbished and am presently going to attempt checking the firmware version against my NIB one with no firmware updates. I am typing this on the refurb right now with no issues. Next I'm installing the software on a test machine to compare it against my primary rig which I do NOT have either software or any firmware updates on. I'm going to start my own K100 thread in an attempt to lure those with the issue as it appears several threads has efforts spread out. Anyone know how to send messages directly to anyone? I'm, noticing several users not making it to this last page before posting.

On 3/19/2023 at 6:43 PM, blackroseMD1 said:

Bought the K100 in December and got the ghost typing issue almost immediately, although very sporadically. 

Today it started and is constant, even after unplugging the USB and reattaching it and attempting to reset the keyboard. At this point my keyboard is basically unusable, as it's sending messages to people any time I have Discord in focus. The fact that this has been a known issue since August is ridiculous.

Can you confirm that you have your macros zero'd out? Open a notepad when you have control of your keyboard and check macros 1-6 and see if there is anything recorded other than 1-6 (default), G6 is my most common culprit. If so zero out the macro (if not intentional use of course). I think there is a shortcut in the keyboard that turns on macro recording separate from the wheel button. Trying to confirm, anyone? Corsair?

If you read this post please read my trouble shooting steps above, you might be able to save yourself a headache. There are several threads about the ghost typing/lock up issues with the K100, fear not you have not been hacked. My exp is it's all around the macro keys, however I never updated my firmware for the fear of the very thing others are complaining about. There's a bad firmware version out there too. Good news is it has been pulled so good chance you won't run into that unless you have a keyboard that was firmware updated somewhere around December before they pulled the bad firmware. Bad news is they have not released a new fixed firmware from what I can tell YET. The software still errors out saying firmware update failed because they blocked that function to stop anyone from downloading the bad one. I like the keyboard and once I learned how to manage the macro keys recording function accidently getting triggered, I haven't had any issues since. Seeing several threads of frustrated customers makes it clear the biggest problem is Corsair not addressing the issue publicly in a way that keeps people from having to dig in these forums. They could save a lot of hassle by moderating their forums better but we all know the bean counters won't budget for that so here you are. Best of luck 😉

On 3/22/2023 at 1:30 PM, Samhorns said:

If you read this post please read my trouble shooting steps above, you might be able to save yourself a headache. There are several threads about the ghost typing/lock up issues with the K100, fear not you have not been hacked. My exp is it's all around the macro keys, however I never updated my firmware for the fear of the very thing others are complaining about. There's a bad firmware version out there too. Good news is it has been pulled so good chance you won't run into that unless you have a keyboard that was firmware updated somewhere around December before they pulled the bad firmware. Bad news is they have not released a new fixed firmware from what I can tell YET. The software still errors out saying firmware update failed because they blocked that function to stop anyone from downloading the bad one. I like the keyboard and once I learned how to manage the macro keys recording function accidently getting triggered, I haven't had any issues since. Seeing several threads of frustrated customers makes it clear the biggest problem is Corsair not addressing the issue publicly in a way that keeps people from having to dig in these forums. They could save a lot of hassle by moderating their forums better but we all know the bean counters won't budget for that so here you are. Best of luck 😉

I will try the macro solution you posted tonight. I have had the keyboard for around two weeks now and I cannot even watch something on YouTube without unplugging the keyboard and resetting it.

• Like 1

So update to keep the thread alive until I feel the issue has been addressed (IE Corsair replies in some way). As mentioned above I now have two of these keyboards. TBH I bought the second one 25% off thinking it was NIB only to find it was a refurb but that turned over more interesting firmware discoveries. my original NIB has firmware v.1.9.26 which shows upgradable to v.1.13.53.  However my Refurb came first with a new sticker on the bottom with a clearly Refurb issued part number ending in /RF, presumably to thwart any attempts to exercise a warranty. The more interesting fact was it is running firmware v.0.32.262 which does NOT show an update available. Refurbs are being sent out with an earlier firmware then NIB? Or has someone along the way decided to throw everyone off by using non-standard version numbers and v.0.32.262 is actually later then v.1.9.26? Which is the case Corsair and why can my Refurb not be upgraded to v.1.13.53? Is v.0.32.262 better? Maybe has the hidden macro shortcut disabled finally? I'll comply by putting this all in a ticket so someone in service can formally reply, which I will of course post here with a full timeline for everyone to follow along 😉

On 1/31/2023 at 3:55 PM, VampiricAlchemist said:

Hey, so did everyone having the issue with ghost typing turn off the macro setting on their wheel. That fixed it for me (for the last few days) I never touched my wheel. but it was still doing it until I disabled that

Default profile > Control Wheel > Macro Recording <-- Turn this off. Think its a bug with this somehow.

So somehow the forum algorithm suggested this post from January which was followed by actual Corsair employee replies. From what I can tell I am just as guilty as several pages of us by not reading the PAGES worth to find this has all been talked about before months ago with Corsair.  I am going to go enjoy a big slice of humble pie now. Nick or whoever is still watching please enjoy a good chuckle at my expense, you earned it 😉

19 minutes ago, Samhorns said:

So update to keep the thread alive until I feel the issue has been addressed (IE Corsair replies in some way). As mentioned above I now have two of these keyboards. TBH I bought the second one 25% off thinking it was NIB only to find it was a refurb but that turned over more interesting firmware discoveries. my original NIB has firmware v.1.9.26 which shows upgradable to v.1.13.53.  However my Refurb came first with a new sticker on the bottom with a clearly Refurb issued part number ending in /RF, presumably to thwart any attempts to exercise a warranty. The more interesting fact was it is running firmware v.0.32.262 which does NOT show an update available. Refurbs are being sent out with an earlier firmware then NIB? Or has someone along the way decided to throw everyone off by using non-standard version numbers and v.0.32.262 is actually later then v.1.9.26? Which is the case Corsair and why can my Refurb not be upgraded to v.1.13.53? Is v.0.32.262 better? Maybe has the hidden macro shortcut disabled finally? I'll comply by putting this all in a ticket so someone in service can formally reply, which I will of course post here with a full timeline for everyone to follow along 😉

Additional, Firmwarv1.11.39 was the bad firmware around December from what I can tell. It was pulled so no one should be running that version anymore I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had the awesome ability to learn about this bug today, after the keyboard decided to post all my logins and password and personal conversations to Facebook. I bought this keyboard a few months ago but was in the middle of a remodel and did not get to open till a week ago as I was setting up my new computer. This is absolutely ridiculous and between the time of having to delete all the posts "I posted" and then having to reset all my passwords and now receiving messages saying someone is trying to login to my sensitive accounts, there will be action taken for the negligence of the company to provide a correction, especially since this issue has gone back to December. Unacceptable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 1:01 PM, Samhorns said:

v.0.32.262 is an entirely different control board, and one that doesn't have any issues. Corsair appears to have switched control boards around a year ago and these new boards are the ones having issues. If anyone is willing to post or DM me their sticker from the underside of their board I can compare it to mine and see if we can narrow down product number difference to have reference in case a retailer has old stock of the keyboard that wouldn't have an issue.

• 6 months later...

Feeling incredibly let down. I have lost time, money, and unneeded stress over what should be my fancy luxury keyboard for my mid life crisis rig. Have previously heard nothing but good things about Corsair as a brand, and have said nothing but good things about the brand. That stops now. I cannot in sound mind buy anything new from Corsair or allow my friends or family to buy these products. This issue is critical to product function, and poses at the minimum a constant annoyance, and at worst a security threat -and has lasted entirely too long for a "premium" product.

Obligatory specs and troubleshooting steps.
Issue: Keyboard will produce random inputs of previously pressed keys. This will occur randomly and persists after board reset, force updating firmware, etc. Random input events either run them selves out or continue until the keyboard is unplugged/replunged. Lighting seems to (but not always) flash right before a runaway typing incident. Lighting flash is all lights off (less than a second), then back to standard lighting.

Troubleshooting: 

• Reset Keyboard using instructions found at https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025465031 - confirmed keyboard reset with on board lights flash, and default profile cleared in iCUE.
  • Force reinstalled Firmware through iCUE, multiple times.
  • Cleaned and inspected box new keyboard, and confirmed repeated, sporadic behavior using another person typing.
  • Migrated USB ports to every possible combination.

Specs:

• Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Corsair OPX Switch
  • PN: CH-912A01A-NA
  • SN: A1DMG3241096K2

• 5 months later...

Kinda ridiculous that this has been going on for almost two years and no fix. I’ve gotten the keyboard replaced and went a month with out the issue. Then it came back, with my keyboard spamming 0. Corsair dosent want to do anything about this. What a waste of money and time 

• 4 weeks later...