Corsair Community

XD7 Pump not working in Port 6 Commander Pro

Hi,

I have XD7, XC7, XG7, Commander Pro, 2 Lighting Nodes.  As per the XD7 manual, I connect the XD7 4 pin PWM to port 6 of the Commander Pro and the Temp Sensor from the XD7 to Temp sensor 1 of the Commander Pro.  When I do this, the pump does not circulate.  I have a digital flowmeter attached to one of the pipes and the coolant flow goes to 9L/h.

Currently, I have the XD7 4 pin PWM connected to the motherboard (Asus Crosshair VIII) and the pump circulates coolant.  When I disconnect the XD7 PWM, the pump circulates coolant...which according to the manual is at full speed.  

Any ideas why this is?

Thanks,

Brian

• Corsair Employee

Did you make sure that the port was properly configured in the iCUE software as a pump?

5 hours ago, ogcyborg said:

When I disconnect the XD7 PWM, the pump circulates coolant...which according to the manual is at full speed. 

That part is normal.  Once it was required for the pump to be on #6 of the Commander Pro if you wanted to use the Corsair Pump preset curve.  It should now work on any header after running the Hydro X Wizard mentioned above.  However, first try setting fan #6 from "auto" to 4 pin in the Commander Pro settings.  This is sometimes required since there is no 12v line and auto does a fan test to check for that on boot.  

On 5/31/2022 at 10:18 AM, Corsair Notepad said:

Did you make sure that the port was properly configured in the iCUE software as a pump?

I ran the Hydro X Wizard and set port 6 of the Commander Pro

On 5/31/2022 at 3:16 PM, c-attack said:

That part is normal.  Once it was required for the pump to be on #6 of the Commander Pro if you wanted to use the Corsair Pump preset curve.  It should now work on any header after running the Hydro X Wizard mentioned above.  However, first try setting fan #6 from "auto" to 4 pin in the Commander Pro settings.  This is sometimes required since there is no 12v line and auto does a fan test to check for that on boot.  

I plugged in the XD7 to the port 6 and ran the Hydro X Wizard.  I set port 6 to the XD7 pump and the remaining 5 to fans.  When set to auto, the pump comes turns on but stops after a few seconds.  One of the pipes has a flow meter attached, so I can see when the coolant is flowing.  When there is no flow, the flow meter sounds an alarm. 

I also noticed something else.  I have 2 radiators with 6 QL120 fans.  The iCue software only has 6 ports (1 for pump and 5 for fans).  When I assign my fans as Hydro X Fans, all of the fans stop.  When I set the fans to 4-pin, they spin again.  

For my full setup, I have a Commander Pro and 2 Lighting Node Cores, one attached to each of the USB ports of the Commander Pro.  I also have XC7, XG7, XR5, and XR6.  My motherboard is an Asus Crosshair VIII Formula and when the XD7 is connected to the water pump on the MB, the pump operates.

I don't know if there is any difference connecting the pump to the Commander Pro versus connected directly to the motherboard.    I might be wrong but I thought if I connected the pump to the Commander Pro, that the pump and fan speeds would auto respond as my computer heats up (increase fan speed and pump faster when my computer heats up and slow down when it cools).

I don't recall off the top of my head if the HydroX Wizard sets the port to 4-pin ... but make sure that it is set to 4-pin and not Auto. As @c-attack mentioned, the lack of power seems to confuse the CoPro's autodetection.

The HydroX Fan curve does set fans to 0 RPM (or as close to it as they can) when the **coolant temperature** is below a certain point. The coolant probe should be on Temp 1 on the Commander Pro - this will drive the profile settings. So the fans will kick on as the system heats up but the water heats up much more slowly than the rest of the components. You do want to have radiator fan profiles based on the coolant temperature rather than component temperature.

Finally, I would suggest getting a powered internal USB hub. The CoPro's USB ports are notoriously finicky.

1 hour ago, DevBiker said:

I don't recall off the top of my head if the HydroX Wizard sets the port to 4-pin ... but make sure that it is set to 4-pin and not Auto. As @c-attack mentioned, the lack of power seems to confuse the CoPro's autodetection.

The HydroX Fan curve does set fans to 0 RPM (or as close to it as they can) when the **coolant temperature** is below a certain point. The coolant probe should be on Temp 1 on the Commander Pro - this will drive the profile settings. So the fans will kick on as the system heats up but the water heats up much more slowly than the rest of the components. You do want to have radiator fan profiles based on the coolant temperature rather than component temperature.

Finally, I would suggest getting a powered internal USB hub. The CoPro's USB ports are notoriously finicky.

@DevBiker Thank you for explaining the Hydro X fan curve, seems like it does what I'd like it to do.  CoPro's finicky power might be the issue.  When set port 6 to 4-pin, the pump does not operate.  I'll order a powered internal USB.  I found this one on Amazon, NZXT Internal USB Hub 3 - AC-IUSBH-M3-4.  Would this be suitable or would you recommend another?

Are you sure it doesn't spin? Usually the problem is the pump is at its lowest speed because of the Hydro-X fan curve, and you need to create a new curve for it to make it run at normal speeds.

The flow meter may not pick up the flow because at the slowest you may have something like 20L/h or less, which doesn't necesarely register depending on the flowmeter effective range.

As for the internal hub, that's the one we all use i think 😛 works like a charm.

5 hours ago, ogcyborg said:

When set port 6 to 4-pin, the pump does not operate. 

Create a custom curve (cooling +). A graph will appear below. Click either fixed RPM or PWM% and set it to 80% or 4000 rpm. Then assign this new fan profile to the pump at #6. This or any other high rpm value should be a better test if you have control. 

It’s possible there is a defect in the PWM wire and the pump won’t respond, but it’s more common for users to be in a low rpm state when first getting started. Every loop is unique, but there is a minimum pump speed required to overcome the combined fluid resistance and gravity. When near that mark, water will appear not to move, any kind of flow spinner won’t turn, and you will see a bump up in cpu/gpu temp as liquid lingers in the blocks. As mentioned above, digital flow meters are also a bit finicky at low flow rates.