Corsair Community

Where do I plug in the xd5 pump/reservoir if i'm not using a Commander Pro

M4ngo

Hey all! It's Mango again! I had a quick question regarding plugging in my xd5 pump to my motherboard! I was wondering what specific port i should plug it into. My EK pump orignally was plugged into the AIO_PUMP even though it was a separate pump and reservoir, not a combo. So, my question is; where do I plug it? I have a ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi). Do I plug it back into the AIO_PUMP port or a different port?

It really doesn’t matter since that is a tach/PWM signal only. Power comes from the molex, so no power delivery on the line. You stick it on the motherboard header with the least value for fan control. On Asus that is probably cpu fan since it has hidden aggressive behaviors intended for a cpu air cooler. Those AIO and W-Pump headers can normally be re-enabled for normal fan control. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, c-attack said:

It really doesn’t matter since that is a tach/PWM signal only. Power comes from the molex, so no power delivery on the line. You stick it on the motherboard header with the least value for fan control. On Asus that is probably cpu fan since it has hidden aggressive behaviors intended for a cpu air cooler. Those AIO and W-Pump headers can normally be re-enabled for normal fan control. 

Awesome! Thank you so much for the answer! As of right now i plugged it into the Commander Core XT I had laying around to test it out. But for some odd reason, it wont read on iCue once connected. I plugged it into the port 6 like told but its still not being read. Is it because its a Commander Core XT and not a Commander Pro? Should I just plug it into the header of my mobo? Thank you so much for helping me out!

So you are using a Commander Pro (XT)?  

1) On the Commander Pro you must manually set the header to "4 pin" in the settings.  The default 'auto' will not detect a 12v line since there isn't one.  

2) I believe the Commander Core XT is more like the Commander Core and requires you to run run the wizard or power cycle the device.  All of its fan ports are PWM, but it shuts off those not in use.  That makes "hot plugging" fans or pumps in when its on a problem.  Do a full shutdown and power back up.  It should be detected.  It needs to shut off, so a standard restart won't do it.  

For either controller you only need to be on #6 if you want the Hydro X programmed curves.  It should work from any of the headers.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, c-attack said:

So you are using a Commander Pro (XT)?  

1) On the Commander Pro you must manually set the header to "4 pin" in the settings.  The default 'auto' will not detect a 12v line since there isn't one.  

2) I believe the Commander Core XT is more like the Commander Core and requires you to run run the wizard or power cycle the device.  All of its fan ports are PWM, but it shuts off those not in use.  That makes "hot plugging" fans or pumps in when its on a problem.  Do a full shutdown and power back up.  It should be detected.  It needs to shut off, so a standard restart won't do it.  

For either controller you only need to be on #6 if you want the Hydro X programmed curves.  It should work from any of the headers.  

Oooh ok! I didn’t know that I had to shut down the pc first for it to read! I was thinking the CC XT worked the same way as the Commander Pro! Thank you! I’ll definitely try it! Worried however since I might not have enough space to put the commander core xt into my computer so I might have to just use the mobo instead 😞

• 1 year later...

The newer XD5/XD3 units should have a traditional "motherboard 5v RGB" cable adapter in the box.  It will have a small rectangular head and 3 circular female ports to match the 3 pin D-RGB male header on the MB.  The XD5 has 16 LEDs for control purposes.  

Yes, the 3 pin 5v Digital RGB or Addressable RGB header.  Different board makers call it different things, but it's the 3 pin one.  The adapter (if it's there) is thicker on the connector end than the relatively flat Corsair LED connector.  If you don't have one in the box, you'll need to buy or make one.  They usually sell for about $10 but you need to find a 3rd party supplier.