Corsair Community

Struggling to get Corsair Vengeance 64GB above 2133MHz

Hi all.

I'm looking for help on why I can't get my memory kit to run at anything higher than 2133MHz and if what I am experiencing is normal or if I have faulty RAM? Been trying to get help on this for a month with no success..

Memory - cmk64gx4m2e3200c16 - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x32GB

Motherboard - MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI - Bios ver. 1.40

CPU - Ryzen 3700X

As soon as I run it at anything other than default BIOS values - Windows BSOD as soon as it tries to load. Even the Windows 10 installer fails.

I've tried various different options of the main 5 numbers and the clock speed, as well as the voltage. Tried both XMP profiles.

Been told to look at individual timings - the ones where there's like 20 different values to change but I haven't attempted that yet, I'm really struggling to know what to change any of those to.. But even so, is this expected I need to be doing all this just to try and get my memory to run past 2133MHz?

I came across an application called DRAM Calculator for Ryzen - I tried to import my memory profile from Thaiphoon burner but it didn't work.

I've asked for some help on other forums and in PC gamer communities but I've received a lot of mixed and conflicting information..

"QVL lists aren't that important" - is this true? I know motherboard manufacturer's can't test every single memory kit under the sun. But if it's not a QVL list thing then why am I experiencing so many problems getting my memory to run even past 2133MHz?

"Running 4x16GB at higher clock speeds is harder on the machine than 2x32GB" - Advice someone gave me which ended up with me returning my 4x16GB and getting 2x32GB instead .. at least the 4x16GB module I was able to boot into windows at 2933MHz .. although it did BSOD under heavy loads.

AMD just aren't very good at overclocking - Is this actually true? Should I just put up with not being able to have 64GB at anything higher than 2133MHz? Though I'm not even looking to "overclock" past the manufacturer's rated speed.

Performance is seriously restricted running at anything less than 3200MHz on Ryzen CPU - And this is the main thing I keep hearing over and over again which is why I'm aiming for that number on my sticks and feeling pretty cheated that I can't get anywhere near that..

Like, I don't get it, if it's so difficult to run memory at the rated manufacturer speeds, why is it advertised at that speed? I think this memory was one of the cheapest 64GB memory modules - should I have paid more for better RAM? Again though if that's the case, why is it advertised at 3200MHz if it can't reach that..

Hope someone can help or at least point me in the right direction.. Thank you!

I came across your post last week when I was trying to fix the exact same issue on CMK128GX4M4E3200C16 -Amazon screwed up my order and I have these on an X570 mobo now :/

Anyway ...

I got mine working and I would recommend doing the following:

First check for a DOCP and try that.

If that fails then:

Reset your BIOS.

Go into your BIOS and change the RAM to 3200 and 1600 then go and change the SPD timings to what it shows on the page for your RAM https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M2E3200C16#tab-tech-specs

15-15-15-36

And make sure you have 1.35v going to the RAM.

You don't have to change anything else.

I looked up the tested timings on Corsair's website.

Memory Series

VENGEANCE LPX

Memory Type

DDR4

Memory Size

64GB Kit (2 x 32GB)

Tested Latency

16-20-20-38

Tested Voltage

1.35V

Tested Speed

3200MHz

Also there is a fifth timing setting with my memory it is 54. Try setting your timings manually and change the fifth timing value to a higher number 56 worked on mine.

Note: 3000Mhz with 3200Mhz memory was the highest speed I could achieve with 4 slots of memory. After a bios upgrade f51 to f60e all 4 slots ran at 3200Mhz stock timings.

Like, I don't get it, if it's so difficult to run memory at the rated manufacturer speeds, why is it advertised at that speed?

The memory will work at that speed, but what a lot of folks buying memory don't realise is that even when you select the XMP profile you are overclocking parts of your motherboard and CPU, which might not work overclocked. There is always a risk with anything other than the standard ( non XMP ) memory that your PC will not work with it. In that case you have to fiddle the settings to get the best performance you can.

• 7 months later...