Corsair Community

No QVL Exists For My MB, Will This RAM Work For It?

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

I'm getting an ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 DARK HERO MB for my PC build.  However there is no QVL for this product yet.  It's just an updated version of the regular ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero as far as I know, but will this set of Corsair Dominator Platinum Memory work with it?  It works on the previous model of the MB, so I was wondering if it will as well here.  Or should I wait a month or so till the QVL comes out?  If it even does.

• Solution

Most likely.  No QVL for the Dark Hero yet since I don't think we're at the official release.  However, you likely want to consider a 2x32 kit if you need 64GB.  No advantage to 4 modules on these boards and very clear disadvantages.  

3 hours ago, c-attack said:

Most likely.  No QVL for the Dark Hero yet since I don't think we're at the official release.  However, you likely want to consider a 2x32 kit if you need 64GB.  No advantage to 4 modules on these boards and very clear disadvantages.  

I know it's a clear disadvantage, but I've got OCD like yah wouldn't believe.  I'm probably not even going to overclock it and just leave it at it's base 4800MHz honestly. 

I just want a nice premium looking set of memory that isn't spaced out as my OCD tells me that it looks wrong.

I know it's worse in performance but if I'm not overclocking and this is the lowest spec I can get with this kit in a 4x16gb format, does it really matter if I'm doing it for mostly aesthetics and OCD sake?

Thanks for the info though.  I'll be very surprised if these two don't work together, (I'm getting them next week for my 4090 build and I'm throwing in an Intel Core i9-13900K later down the road), but thanks for the advice.

I'd just rather have the 4x16gb kit for aesthetics rather than performance.  Baseline DDR5 is more than enough for what I'm doing anyway. 

I just want to make sure I can buy it and be one and done no rma bs.

Edited by ProfessionalGamer
Extra info and grammar correction.

These refresh boards should have no trouble with 4x16 under 6000, if that's the only ambition aside from the 4 full slot appearance.  

8 hours ago, c-attack said:

These refresh boards should have no trouble with 4x16 under 6000, if that's the only ambition aside from the 4 full slot appearance.  

That works for me!  I love the idea of a 4x16gb format.  If I ever build a second PC for streaming or VR, I could take half the kit and move it over to the 2nd PC. 

If I do overclock memory, I'll try to get it at least like 5200MHz but frankly, I don't have a need to do so.  I'd rather have high capacity and system stability out of the box and a good looking set of 4 sticks memory that are slightly slower yet fast enough for me, than 2 sticks of memory at a super high frequency.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:55 PM, c-attack said:

Update to this situation.  Good news!  It will work!  QVL just launched with the memory support and 14th Gen Intel CPUs, and my memory will be 100% compatible.  Even in it's 4x16GB kit set.  Perfect!   No need to change memory!  Guess I'm getting a Dark Hero MB and a fancy set of memory after all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 10:55 PM, c-attack said:

Question for you, since you seem to know a lot of this stuff.  I am swapping my kit from that Dominator Platinum 5600MHz 4x16gb kit to a Corsair Dominator Titanium 6400MHz CL32 memory kit.  QVL doesn't list this memory kit anywhere on any motherboard I could find in ASUS ROG's lineup, but will it still work anyway?  I've tried finding it on various QVLs for Asus ROG motherboards but nothing pops up for these memory kits in particular.  Or any Dominator Titanium kit for that matter.  But will it still work even with it being overclocked or should I stick with my original kit?  I'm getting a 14900K too btw.  Swapped that out and purchased one last week from my 13900K which thankfully I didn't get yet.

On 10/13/2023 at 7:53 AM, ProfessionalGamer said:

That works for me!  I love the idea of a 4x16gb format.  If I ever build a second PC for streaming or VR, I could take half the kit and move it over to the 2nd PC. 

If I do overclock memory, I'll try to get it at least like 5200MHz but frankly, I don't have a need to do so.  I'd rather have high capacity and system stability out of the box and a good looking set of 4 sticks memory that are slightly slower yet fast enough for me, than 2 sticks of memory at a super high frequency.

Btw.  I'm using an ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero this time.  Not a regular Hero MB.

The new Titanium models are the same underneath with a new heat spreader and lightbar, so any Platinum model certified for 5600-7000 should also work for Titanium.  Looking at the Dark Hero QVL the issue seems to be the don't verify much of anything in the 4x16 category.  There are a couple of kits from Corsair and Kingston at 5600 4x16, but it stops abruptly at 6000.  Most Z790 motherboards should be able to run 4x16 in the mid 6000 range, but that is where things get tricky.  

The single largest reason to shop from the QVL is some manufacturers will use your non-compliance with the list as an excuse to deny support.  Your motherboard manufacturer is one that is known to do this.  So in part a lot of this comes down to whether you think you'll need their Support service at some point.  The secondary issue is the original one we talked about and with Z790 boards and DDR5 running 4 modules is a distinct disadvantage in terms of frequency and the available choices.  Most kits in this range will be 2x24, 2x32, etc. in order to maximize performance and stability.  I went to try and find some comparable products from other RAM makers and GSkill doesn't even have 4x16 as an option in the search engine.  It looks like they have stopped making 4x16s as we push deeper into DDR5 and I expect that to extend to everyone else soon.  There is a 2x32 6400C32 kit on the QVL.  That would offer you some assurance at the expense of your visual preference for the full deck.  One thing I like about the Titanium module light bar is when you look at a pair at a 45 degree angle, the side lighting fills the void and makes them look like a larger mass.  I suspect this was a deliberate part of the design.

10 minutes ago, c-attack said:

The new Titanium models are the same underneath with a new heat spreader and lightbar, so any Platinum model certified for 5600-7000 should also work for Titanium.  Looking at the Dark Hero QVL the issue seems to be the don't verify much of anything in the 4x16 category.  There are a couple of kits from Corsair and Kingston at 5600 4x16, but it stops abruptly at 6000.  Most Z790 motherboards should be able to run 4x16 in the mid 6000 range, but that is where things get tricky.  

The single largest reason to shop from the QVL is some manufacturers will use your non-compliance with the list as an excuse to deny support.  Your motherboard manufacturer is one that is known to do this.  So in part a lot of this comes down to whether you think you'll need their Support service at some point.  The secondary issue is the original one we talked about and with Z790 boards and DDR5 running 4 modules is a distinct disadvantage in terms of frequency and the available choices.  Most kits in this range will be 2x24, 2x32, etc. in order to maximize performance and stability.  I went to try and find some comparable products from other RAM makers and GSkill doesn't even have 4x16 as an option in the search engine.  It looks like they have stopped making 4x16s as we push deeper into DDR5 and I expect that to extend to everyone else soon.  There is a 2x32 6400C32 kit on the QVL.  That would offer you some assurance at the expense of your visual preference for the full deck.  One thing I like about the Titanium module light bar is when you look at a pair at a 45 degree angle, the side lighting fills the void and makes them look like a larger mass.  I suspect this was a deliberate part of the design.

So should I get a kit the 6000MHz kit instead and save the extra $50?  I don't really care about professional overclocking or super stability.  I'd rather have 4 slots cuz I have massive OCD.  Beyond most people's OCD.  

As long as it turns on and looks good, that's usually my basis for my standards.  If I just leave the other 6000MHz at that speed, it'll be good right?  Don't really need that super fast speed, just something to match the build aesthetic and fast enough for my 14900K.  

Should I get the 6000MHz or just stick with Dominator Platinum?  Also I have plenty of room for the Dominator Titanium, I have a 5000D airflow and a modern ATX size MB.  I'll have enough clearance for it.

23 minutes ago, c-attack said:

I mean like getting a Dominator Titanium 6000MHz 4x16gb instead of the 6400MHz version so it'll be more stable?

42 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Later today I'll look again at the QVL to see if there are high 2x32gb kits that will work for my build.  But 4x16gb would work better for me.  But if I have to, I'll look at 2x32gb for faster speeds.  Any speed recommendations for a 14900K included and a 4090 Asus TUF?

The problem is there isn't a 6000 4x16 on the QVL either.  I think a 6400 4x16 should run without too much trouble, but you will need to go forward knowing it could bite you if you're having CPU or motherboard issues.  It might require some secondary SA or IMC voltage tweaking in the BIOS.  The only 4x16 on the QVL from Corsair is CMH64GX5M4B5600C36.   I think if the security of knowing the kit is on the list is important to you, then stick to it.  Otherwise, choose what it you want and it should run, but there are a lot more choices if you go 2x24 or 2x32.  

*The Titanium kit has two near identical versions at 6400 and 6600C32 for 2x32.  That's likely as good as you can do with 2x32.  2x24 kits can run 7000-8000 and the motherboard becomes the limiting factor, but since you don't seem to interested in extended RAM overclocking and presumably the capacity has some value to you, 2x32 may make more sense.  I find it a bit odd Asus only put a couple of kits from 5600-6000 on their 2x24 QVL.   Most people are using the M-die 24GB modules in the 7000+ range.  

Edited by c-attack

23 minutes ago, c-attack said:

The problem is there isn't a 6000 4x16 on the QVL either.  I think a 6400 4x16 should run without too much trouble, but you will need to go forward knowing it could bite you if you're having CPU or motherboard issues.  It might require some secondary SA or IMC voltage tweaking in the BIOS.  The only 4x16 on the QVL from Corsair is CMH64GX5M4B5600C36.   I think if the security of knowing the kit is on the list is important to you, then stick to it.  Otherwise, choose what it you want and it should run, but there are a lot more choices if you go 2x24 or 2x32.  

*The Titanium kit has two near identical versions at 6400 and 6600C32 for 2x32.  That's likely as good as you can do with 2x32.  2x24 kits can run 7000-8000 and the motherboard becomes the limiting factor, but since you don't seem to interested in extended RAM overclocking and presumably the capacity has some value to you, 2x32 may make more sense.  I find it a bit odd Asus only put a couple of kits from 5600-6000 on their 2x24 QVL.   Most people are using the M-die 24GB modules in the 7000+ range.  

Okay.  I'll get that 6400mhz kit you suggested for 2x32gb instead.  Thanks for the advice and explaining things.  I'll change my parts list tonight.  Much obliged!  Unlucky that 4x16gb at 6400MHz is not on the QVL, but I should probably make use the 2x32gb anyway for support reasons.  My OCD will suffer, but I guess it's better than not having support at all or a lot of instability.  Especially at a PC as high end as mine.  Thanks man!  I'll take this stuff into consideration and buy that kit later next week.

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

That's weird.  Not a single Dominator Titanium is on QVL.  Not even any 2x32gb sets higher that 5600... Unless Im stupid, I can't find any under QVL.  Unless it was never there in the first place.

I also thought the QVL for the Dark Hero was particularly under-represented for what most consumers will be using and thus is the core problem with any QVL.  It does not start out as a full list of every kit in existence, then is pared down to only those that prove stable.  They pick select kits to test and there are business connections as to what is or is not tested.  So while you can't fault them for not testing every kit from every manufacturer, it become problematic if you then use the QVL offensively to deny warranty claims and support.  

1 hour ago, c-attack said:

I also thought the QVL for the Dark Hero was particularly under-represented for what most consumers will be using and thus is the core problem with any QVL.  It does not start out as a full list of every kit in existence, then is pared down to only those that prove stable.  They pick select kits to test and there are business connections as to what is or is not tested.  So while you can't fault them for not testing every kit from every manufacturer, it become problematic if you then use the QVL offensively to deny warranty claims and support.  

Sadly.  I've already got my motherboard.  So hear me out.  I'll stick to the 6400MHz 4x16gb and leave it at 4800MHz, slowly I'll overclock it and try to get a stable maybe 5600MHz.  If it won't work with all 4 kits installed, I'll just revert it to default an leave it.  My workloads and games don't need that fast of memory anyway.  But it would be nice for futureproofing purposes to have a fast kit like that.  I might also split the kit later down the road and use half of it for another build like a stream PC.  Yah know?  I think that's my safe bet.  

4x16 should run at 5600 without any tweaking, aside from setting the frequency and timings.  I would expect it to capable of 6400 too, but possibly need some supplemental tweaking.  Almost all of the kits available will preform on the Dark Hero and there is only one MB with a higher capability.  The issue was whether you wanted to stick to the QVL.  You don't need to, but there are potential consequences you hopefully never need worry about.  Stability should not be one of them.  

5 hours ago, c-attack said:

4x16 should run at 5600 without any tweaking, aside from setting the frequency and timings.  I would expect it to capable of 6400 too, but possibly need some supplemental tweaking.  Almost all of the kits available will preform on the Dark Hero and there is only one MB with a higher capability.  The issue was whether you wanted to stick to the QVL.  You don't need to, but there are potential consequences you hopefully never need worry about.  Stability should not be one of them.  

Alright bet!  I'll stick to the new Dominator Titanium 4x16GB and just leave it at 5600MHz and call it a day then.  If I ever need to go higher, I will do it in the bios but until then, I'll leave it at the most reasonable and stable speed I could use for a long time before I need a faster kit.  5600MHz should work fine for most of my workloads, I'm a music producer and content creator so 64GBs of 5600MHz 4x16GBs would be more than enough for my use cases.  And not to mention gaming.  Sounds good!  I'll keep this info in mind.  I'll just leave it at 5600MHz to be safer and more stable, and I won't bother with sticking to QVL.  My components are so high end RN I don't think I'll have to rma anything tbh.  But thanks for the information and support man!  I'll finish my build by December 20th and have a balling PC setup for the long haul.  Bless up the Corsair community man.  Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 12:49 AM, ProfessionalGamer said:

Alright bet!  I'll stick to the new Dominator Titanium 4x16GB and just leave it at 5600MHz and call it a day then.  If I ever need to go higher, I will do it in the bios but until then, I'll leave it at the most reasonable and stable speed I could use for a long time before I need a faster kit.  5600MHz should work fine for most of my workloads, I'm a music producer and content creator so 64GBs of 5600MHz 4x16GBs would be more than enough for my use cases.  And not to mention gaming.  Sounds good!  I'll keep this info in mind.  I'll just leave it at 5600MHz to be safer and more stable, and I won't bother with sticking to QVL.  My components are so high end RN I don't think I'll have to rma anything tbh.  But thanks for the information and support man!  I'll finish my build by December 20th and have a balling PC setup for the long haul.  Bless up the Corsair community man.  Thanks.

Could you share what you ended up going with. What worked? Model number? 
Any settings in BIOS you had to get it to get running? 

43 minutes ago, bonifacio said:

Could you share what you ended up going with. What worked? Model number? 
Any settings in BIOS you had to get it to get running? 

Sure thing pal.  I got at most stable 5600MHz.  Just enabled.  No XMP, just enabled a frequency setting