Corsair Community

K5 RGB keyboard macros not working properly

I got the k55 RGB keyboard around a week ago and there are some issues with the macro keys.

I have followed the guide on the instruction manual that came with the keyboard. Here is a link to a copy of the instructions online.

I have followed all the instructions on page three to set the macros, and when I go to press the macro on the keyboard it does the key press/key presses but along with that, lots more key presses.

For example if I press the g1 key assigned to the windows key, the start menu appears but along with that the pause/play music button is pressed and oddly microsoft powerpoint, settings and around 10 tabs at http://www.office.com are opened (probably related to powerpoint opening), and occasionaly random letters are typed into the start menu search bar.

I have tried resetting the keyboard by holding the function key and f4 while plugging the keyboard in. It worked because the macros were reset.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard driver which hasn't fixed the problem either.

I know it isn't OS specific either because I have tried this in my linux installation and I still get the random text being typed and music being paused.

Edit: I think this might work using the iCue software but I would prefer to not use iCue because it uses a lot of cpu usage and I would like to be able to have the macros saved when I switch to a different computer or operating system

Edited by EBurkinshaw

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having the same issue as well. I tried binding a macro key to ctrl+t (for new tab on Chrome) and when I tested it out, it opened one new tab, a bunch of Microsoft Office tabs (which I have no office products on my Windows computer), and a settings window. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

Hello everyone,

Thank you for reporting these issues. I'm going to escalate this to my team members in regards to macro functions outputting results that weren't bound or intended from the user as well as random Office apps being opened.

As for the Linux, I particularly only have limited experience in that OS, but I'll see if any of my team members have better knowledge here.

Ticket 2003920413

Thu, Jan 14, 2021 7:12 PM (5 days ago)

K55 corsair keyboard

with iCue installed on one laptop running windows 10

open notepad

Press MR G1 (text) MR

press G1

a few characters of (text) in notepad, office programs and windows settings pops up behind notepad.

go into iCue, delete delays.

press G1

Plays back correctly in notepad.

unplug keyboard, plug into second laptop running windows 10

G key press does nothing.

I press MR G1 (text) MR

press G1

a few characters of (text) in notepad, office programs and windows settings pops up behind notepad.

I've just got a K55 and I am having this problem also. Using the on-board macro recorder and recording any macro (including one just to type a single letter), when running the macro it also types "88amp/" and opens the system information window.

I'm recording these macros connected to a work laptop so I can't install iCUE.

Does anyone know if macros recorded on iCUE are stored on the keyboard for use on another computer?

Same exact issue here.

Factory preset macros work and send 1-6.

When macros recorded by me and executed, I get partial key strokes, PowerPoint opened, System Info page opened and a dozen of browser tabs.

Please, provide a solution that does not require iCue, this a work issued laptop and install any third party software.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

Thank you for reporting these issues. I'm going to escalate this to my team members in regards to macro functions outputting results that weren't bound or intended from the user as well as random Office apps being opened

It's already over a month, you got at least any plans for a patch now?

• Corsair Employee

This is some odd behavior, but I need some additional details to better understand if this is a bug. For the intended macro you are trying to execute, are you trying to output a string of text or a sequence of key presses needed for a game? If you are trying to output a string of text, using the Text Action in iCUE is the more appropriate selection.

When using the K55 RGB to record macros using the MR button without iCUE installed, the keyboard is recording all of your key strokes, including delays. The outputted string will take the same length of time it took to record the original line of text. If you try to type or press a different G-Key while the macro is executing, you'll run into issues with overlapping text. The macro has to complete it's full cycle before clicking outside of the intended text area.

Any other details you can provide will be useful in our investigations.

Edited by Corsair Nick

This is some odd behavior, but I need some additional details to better understand if this is a bug. For the intended macro you are trying to execute, are you trying to output a string of text or a sequence of key presses needed for a game? If you are trying to output a string of text, using the Text Action in iCUE is the more appropriate selection.

When using the K55 RGB to record macros using the MR button without iCUE installed, the keyboard is recording all of your key strokes, including delays. The outputted string will take the same length of time it took to record the original line of text. If you try to type or press a different G-Key while the macro is executing, you'll run into issues with overlapping text. The macro has to complete it's full cycle before clicking outside of the intended text area.

Any other details you can provide will be useful in our investigations.

Not that person you're talking to, but I too am having a similar issue. I'd received the keyboard as a Christmas present, and only recently thought to try to set the macros, if only G1 and G2 for a quicker copy and paste (as I use those commands quite often for projects I've been working on).

Yet, even after going into the Macro Record mode and deleting any macros that were on both G1 and G2, then re-recording the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V presses, I still have problems. Yes, the macro will either copy what I have highlighted or paste what I'd copied, but will also open an instance of Office, the System menu in Control Panel, and a tab in Chrome to sign in to Microsoft. This actually happens regardless of which keys I assign a macro to, it's just G1 and 2 tend to be the first ones I'd tried.

This issue is also present from power on as well, as I have had my 2-year-old nephew press the G1 key on my keyboard (because he likes the colors) without having set a macro at all, and have had everything pop up and open as above. Not terrible if I'd just turned my computer on, but more than a little obnoxious if I'm busy with a couple of projects.

I've made 100% sure I'm not fat-fingering any other keys while setting a macro, there's nothing else pressed on the keyboard, every other key works just fine, have had no other issues with the keyboard (including the various color settings), and so on. It's not like I'm trying to type in a paragraph and a half as a macro, it's a simple Cut or Paste command, so it's annoying to find that I'm not the only one with issues with the macro keys.

In my case they're some "actions" in Photoshop, for example: Ctr+Shift+I, 1sec pause, Esc under G5 and G6. I've recorded them after deleting any previous macros to be sure. They work, but also open a lot of other stuff (Office, System settings, system Zoom...).

Not that person you're talking to, but I too am having a similar issue. I'd received the keyboard as a Christmas present, and only recently thought to try to set the macros, if only G1 and G2 for a quicker copy and paste (as I use those commands quite often for projects I've been working on).

Yet, even after going into the Macro Record mode and deleting any macros that were on both G1 and G2, then re-recording the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V presses, I still have problems. Yes, the macro will either copy what I have highlighted or paste what I'd copied, but will also open an instance of Office, the System menu in Control Panel, and a tab in Chrome to sign in to Microsoft. This actually happens regardless of which keys I assign a macro to, it's just G1 and 2 tend to be the first ones I'd tried.

This issue is also present from power on as well, as I have had my 2-year-old nephew press the G1 key on my keyboard (because he likes the colors) without having set a macro at all, and have had everything pop up and open as above. Not terrible if I'd just turned my computer on, but more than a little obnoxious if I'm busy with a couple of projects.

I've made 100% sure I'm not fat-fingering any other keys while setting a macro, there's nothing else pressed on the keyboard, every other key works just fine, have had no other issues with the keyboard (including the various color settings), and so on. It's not like I'm trying to type in a paragraph and a half as a macro, it's a simple Cut or Paste command, so it's annoying to find that I'm not the only one with issues with the macro keys.

I've just got a K55 and I am having this problem also. Using the on-board macro recorder and recording any macro (including one just to type a single letter), when running the macro it also types "88amp/" and opens the system information window.

I'm recording these macros connected to a work laptop so I can't install iCUE.

Does anyone know if macros recorded on iCUE are stored on the keyboard for use on another computer?

Same exact issue here.

Factory preset macros work and send 1-6.

When macros recorded by me and executed, I get partial key strokes, PowerPoint opened, System Info page opened and a dozen of browser tabs.

Please, provide a solution that does not require iCue, this a work issued laptop and install any third party software.

Ticket 2003920413

Thu, Jan 14, 2021 7:12 PM (5 days ago)

K55 corsair keyboard

with iCue installed on one laptop running windows 10

open notepad

Press MR G1 (text) MR

press G1

go into iCue, delete delays.

press G1

Plays back correctly in notepad.

unplug keyboard, plug into second laptop running windows 10

G key press does nothing.

I press MR G1 (text) MR

press G1

I got the k55 RGB keyboard around a week ago and there are some issues with the macro keys.

I have followed the guide on the instruction manual that came with the keyboard. Here is a link to a copy of the instructions online.

I have followed all the instructions on page three to set the macros, and when I go to press the macro on the keyboard it does the key press/key presses but along with that, lots more key presses.

For example if I press the g1 key assigned to the windows key, the start menu appears but along with that the pause/play music button is pressed and oddly microsoft powerpoint, settings and around 10 tabs at http://www.office.com are opened (probably related to powerpoint opening), and occasionaly random letters are typed into the start menu search bar.

I have tried resetting the keyboard by holding the function key and f4 while plugging the keyboard in. It worked because the macros were reset.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard driver which hasn't fixed the problem either.

I know it isn't OS specific either because I have tried this in my linux installation and I still get the random text being typed and music being paused.

Edit: I think this might work using the iCue software but I would prefer to not use iCue because it uses a lot of cpu usage and I would like to be able to have the macros saved when I switch to a different computer or operating system

@Corsair Nick

Isn't this enough information already?

It is almost 2 months since the first user postet that there is a problem and at this point i'm pretty sure that there is no real interest in fixing this but to exploit it to force people to use ICUE. But thanks to amazon I have 2 weeks warranty and I will give my K55 back today. First and last time Corsair. Thanks for your time...

I am having the same problem with the macros. It opens up microsoft office and my settings for some reason. I don't know what iCue is but it seems unnecessary and a lazy fix. It is very discouraging to hear the same problems that I'm having and seeing that there is no reply other than "more information". I really want to know if there is going to be a fix or if I should return this right now, first day with the keyboard and already let down

I have the same problem, opening Powerpoint/Office and the user settings. It's not a coincidence that all of us are getting System Settings and Powerpoint, even on different OS. It's a bug in the keyboard.

Since there are a couple of threads on this forum about it, a Reddit thread and all of them are a couple of months old, can we conclude that you're not going to fix this?

Because I'll be sending this back if you won't fix it.

Edited by BCage

I have the same problem, opening Powerpoint/Office and the user settings. It's not a coincidence that all of us are getting System Settings and Powerpoint, even on different OS. It's a bug in the keyboard.

Since there are a couple of threads on this forum about it, a Reddit thread and all of them are a couple of months old, can we conclude that you're not going to fix this?

Because I'll be sending this back if you won't fix it.

It is so frustrating that they are absolutely silent on the issue. Even if they just posted ANYTHING at all to secure us that they're looking into it and trying to fix it would suffice for now.

I don't know what iCue is but it seems unnecessary and a lazy fix.

iCUE is our newest software that connects all your CORSAIR iCUE compatible products together in a single interface, giving you complete control of everything from RGB lighting and powerful macros to system monitoring and cooling control.26 Mar 2018

It is basically their software and when you configure your keyboard with that software the G buttons work proberly. They want you to use this software and I guess the reason is cause it just works like Synaps from Razer, spyware/keylogger. Just don't use this kind of software especially if it isn't needed. I don't have a Corsair anymore but out of curiosity i'm watching this thread from time to time to see if something happens... lol

I returned it. Just received the Logitech K740 as a replacement and it's much better. It's an aluminium / magnesium alloy housing; pretty heavy and sturdy. Typing is very comfortable, more like a laptop keyboard. It only has a normal backlight instead of RGB lighting though and no programmable keys (although neither does the K55 amirite ).

I'm very happy I returned the K55, it's nowhere near the same league as this keyboard.

I'm having the same issue as earlier posters.

I tried a simple Macro of just a single letter. It records that Macro but then adds additional letters and no matter what will open up Powerpoint and various other system windows.

I'm going to try downloading iCue but there is no mention this is 'Required' in the small user manual and I note it's a 470MB download - which is huge just to get some Macro keys to work - if it does indeed allow them to work.

I've seen the Corsair member on here asking for more details but all you need is an out of the box K55 plugged into a Windows PC and you can emulate this - surely these things are tested before they are put out to market. A keyboard is only going to plugged into one of a few devices and a Windows PC must be high up that list.

The recording of keystrokes after the MR button is pressed should be a fairly simple bit of programming within the keyboard. Why is it issuing anything other than what is pressed. I feel I could probably have programmed the G memory keys with some basic electronic skills and I really don't know much about these things. You've seemed to complicate something that should have been very simple.

If I can't get it to work I will need to return the keyboard as this was one of the main reasons for getting a keyboard with macros. I already had a keyboard before this so other than some lighting the K55 brings nothing to the party.

This is an ongoing issue, I just purchased two K55 Keyboards and instantly ran into the same problem when trying to use the macro keys, I'm using Windows 10 Home.

If I assign a macro (Ctrl, Alt, Shift & V) to say G1 "on the fly" without iCue software then press the G1 key it will run the macro but also:

- Open "About" in the Windows Settings

- Try to open a Microsoft office 360 app (Which I don't have installed)

- Open about 10 tabs of "Activate Office 360" in Google Chrome

If I install iCue the macros will work as intended but that's beside the point, I specifically bought the keyboards for the advertised feature of macro keys being "programmable on the fly" to avoid wasting PC resources on additional software. At this point the "on the fly" macro keys are just false advertising. Furthermore if I quit iCue while the PC is running the above unwanted behaviors run without even pressing a macro key!

There are 3 Forum threads on this topic already dating back as far as November 2020 and so far the only solutions offered by Corsair are to either install iCue or RMA the keyboard....

Needless to say I'll be returning these keyboards and purchasing something else that works as advertised, unfortunately this has left a sour taste in my mouth in regards to buying Corsair products in the future.

Hello, has there been a workaround yet to not using iCue? My company dont allow us to download external software so i bought this keyboard to use the macro recorder but it’s just opening multiple office 365 tabs in explorer, powerpoint and system info

• Corsair Employee
All the information from this thread and the behavior you are experiencing has been passed to our development and validations teams. We're looking into what might be causing this to occur, and we'll provide an update on how to proceed once we've determined the appropriate resolution.