Corsair Community

MP600 1TB - Linux - Firmware 11.3 - NVMe protocol quirk

Hi Corsair

As a Firmware Engineer I have just build a new Workstation with a Ryzen 5950x, Asus Rog Croshair VIII Hero motherboard.

Using a Gentoo Linux, currently with kernel gentoo-sources 5.4.80 gives the following warning on boot.

dec 24 12:46:28 nova kernel: nvme nvme0: missing or invalid SUBNQN field.
dec 24 12:46:28 nova kernel: nvme nvme0: Shutdown timeout set to 10 seconds

This issue with invalid SUBNQN field is a known issue in a number of NVMe units. If you look at the kernel code you will see that it has a dedicated quirk for it. See NVME_QUIRK_IGNORE_DEV_SUBNQN in

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/nvme/host/pci.c

So my question is what is fixed in firmware 13 for the drive?

Does it include the wrong SUBNQN field?

I can't find a detailed changelog, preferable with info about for each commit done to the firmware codebase between the two releases.

Second is the firmware files available somewhere or only the tool?

Based on the input from others regarding the new firmware and performance I will be relectant to upgrade until I know if the issue about the SUBNQN is fixed.

If anyone have an upgraded MP600 1TB, can you please boot a linux (just a bootable USB pen) and verify if you see the issue. Just use the journalctl -b

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Hi there, I just received a formal release notes doc from our product team that may provide some insight.

Firmware files are delivered through the tool. Unfortunately we do not officially support Linux operating systems at this time.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=40036&stc=1&d=1609954209

Edited by Corsair CJ

Hi. Just an update if anybody else is reading this.

Upgrading the firmware did not change the issue.

The device still have an issue with SUBNQN compared to the NVMe specification.

frosteyes@nova ~ $ journalctl -b | grep nvme0

jan 07 14:41:31 nova kernel: nvme nvme0: pci function 0000:01:00.0

jan 07 14:41:31 nova kernel: nvme nvme0: missing or invalid SUBNQN field.

jan 07 14:41:31 nova kernel: nvme nvme0: Shutdown timeout set to 10 seconds

jan 07 14:41:31 nova kernel: nvme nvme0: 8/0/0 default/read/poll queues

jan 07 14:41:31 nova kernel: nvme0n1: p1 p2

frosteyes@nova ~ $ uname -a

Linux nova 5.10.5-gentoo-FrostEyes #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 7 13:31:39 CET 2021 x86_64 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

frosteyes@nova ~ $ sudo nvme list

Node SN Model Namespace Usage Format FW Rev

---------------- -------------------- ---------------------------------------- --------- -------------------------- ---------------- --------

/dev/nvme0n1 203982290001285542EC Force MP600 1 1,00 TB / 1,00 TB 512 B + 0 B EGFM13.0

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested in this. I reported it on the relevant kernel maling list.

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-nvme/2021-January/022270.html

Next I created a patch

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-nvme/2021-February/022597.html

This is on its way into kernel, and is applied to nvme-5.11, so expect it to be part of kernel 5.11 when it is released.

@Corsair CJ. As you can see in the LKML thread, Amy Parker among others is not able to test it, because they don't have a MP600. So will suggest that Corsair takes contact to the Linux community, and donate 2 or more of each drive to the relevant developers so they can be used for testing.

Currently I have fixed this issue where the Phison E16 with yours firmware does not follow the 1.3 NVMe specification, and I guess that having 2 drives in a machine would fail with Linux because of invalid SUBNQN field, unless my patch is used. Can't test my theory as I only have one MP600 in my machine.

• 4 months later...

thank you for the patch. never knew this problem existed. luckily on older kernels i didn't have any problems but i do only have the one 2tb mp600. paired with a adata sx8200 pro 2tb.

i do wish the firmware was available to download outside of windows. having to install windows on a spare ssd to upgrade was annoying.