Corsair Community

Any new PSU's in the works? Specifically a new ax?

gutcheck

• 2 months later...

One would hope, especially with the AX1600's less-than-awe-inspiring 5V performance at its awe-inspiring price.

I'd really like to see a flagship class PSU with a 50A 5V rail that doesn't kick on the fan and scream for mercy as soon as you light up a little bit of RGB.

One would hope, especially with the AX1600's less-than-awe-inspiring 5V performance at its awe-inspiring price.

I'd really like to see a flagship class PSU with a 50A 5V rail that doesn't kick on the fan and scream for mercy as soon as you light up a little bit of RGB.

I agree that more 5V is needed, so one idea I had was the old regulator trick for add-in cards is the LM7805 which is inexpensive can work with a power transistor to provide extra current

https://www.hardcoregames.ga/1972/10/17/lm78xx-regulators/

Edited by Vegan

I agree that more 5V is needed, so one idea I had was the old regulator trick for add-in cards is the LM7805 which is inexpensive can work with a power transistor to provide extra current

https://www.hardcoregames.ga/1972/10/17/lm78xx-regulators/

Yeah ... but when you spend $500+ for a PSU, you really shouldn't need that for your RGBz, ya know?

The fact that the fan runs ALL THE TIME, even when the load is < 350W, when I have any lights on at all is somewhat disappointing.

maybe it's not worth spending 500+ on a PSU if it doesn't do better than the 250 one :p

people with enough RGB to strain the 5V rail are rare. Instead of designing a dedicated RGB galore compliant PSU, maybe a DC/DC box powered off molex or a PCIE/EPS12V connector would work.

Even today, you could rig any premade buck converter module to power RGB fan hubs off the 12V rail and silence the PSU They are very compact and supply a lot more juice than a 7805 with less heat.

Of course a PSU with 50 - 60A on 5V would solve the issue too, but i wonder how big it would have to be, on top of the 1600+W for 12V.

people with enough RGB to strain the 5V rail are rare.

The thing is ... I don't have one of the over-the-top uber 1000D builds with 32 fans. And, tbh, those builds aren't that rare anymore. Consider what consumes power on the 5V rail ... it's not just RGB. It's also USB. And USB powered RGB devices (like keyboards and mice and mouse pads).

And considering the amount of money that Corsair makes on those over-the-top RGB builds, perhaps a PSU that can more than adequately handle them would be on order, eh?