Corsair Community

Virtuoso lack of sidetone (Weak)

• Corsair Employee

Soft resets have been known to resolve various issues - so this may be worth a shot. To soft reset your headset:

1. Make sure your headset is currently unplugged.

2. Make sure your headset is powered on.

3. Hold the Mute button on the headset down for about 15 seconds.

4. Switch the headset off and then back on.

5. Test your headset and see if the issue is resolved.

Doing a clean installation of iCUE is the only other potential fix I can think of - which may not work for everyone. Otherwise, please open a ticket at https://help.corsair.com so our support will take care of you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same issue and honestly, I'm a touch irritated. I just upgraded from a Void Pro Wireless, and for a headset that costs over twice as much, I can't believe I'm having issues with sidetone! I've tried resetting it, reinstalling iCUE, I've lowered the frequency to 44k hz as recommended here, I read quite literally every forum post on this site as well as reddit and anywhere else I could find a mention of it, and still no solution.

I have the same issue. I just bought this and might return it if there's no fix. The whole reason I bought a headset was for great sidetone, and I can barely hear myself unless my PC is at max volume. Any thoughts from Corsair? I've maxed out the volume in iCue but no dice. I'm also on a Mac, so I doubt any Windows-specific settings are at play here.

It also appears that iCue *must* be running on the computer in order to apply the max sidetone volume. Is there any way I can "save" that volume on the headset so that I can connect it to things that aren't running iCue and still get the full sidetone volume (as limited as it is)?

• Corsair Employee

If you guys are still experiencing low sidetone volume, please open a ticket at https://help.corsair.com our support will take care of you guys.

It also appears that iCue *must* be running on the computer in order to apply the max sidetone volume. Is there any way I can "save" that volume on the headset so that I can connect it to things that aren't running iCue and still get the full sidetone volume (as limited as it is)?

Sidetone may be enabled by holding the mute button, but its adjustable volume requires iCUE.

Edited by Corsair Albert
Corrected self

Well,

Corsairs refusal to acknowledge this or give a straight answer made up my mind.

Razer might not have any better support but I prefer their software. For a headset for those who want great side tone. The arctics pro was it for me.

Good luck and goodbye.

• 2 weeks later...
If you guys are still experiencing low sidetone volume, please open a ticket at https://help.corsair.com our support will take care of you guys.

Sidetone may be enabled by holding the mute button, but its adjustable volume requires iCUE.

Something is definitely wrong with this particular headset. I've owned 3 different Corsair headsets, all of which have MUCH better sidetone volume than the Virtuoso.

Additionally, I use this headset every day with a Macbook and a PC, and the sidetone volume is actually slightly better on the Macbook. Both use iCUE.

Corsair should take this seriously and look into updating the software/firmware. It's not something a support ticket is going to solve for anybody.

• Like 1

• Corsair Employee
Something is definitely wrong with this particular headset. I've owned 3 different Corsair headsets, all of which have MUCH better sidetone volume than the Virtuoso.

Additionally, I use this headset every day with a Macbook and a PC, and the sidetone volume is actually slightly better on the Macbook. Both use iCUE.

Corsair should take this seriously and look into updating the software/firmware. It's not something a support ticket is going to solve for anybody.

Our support team provides troubleshooting steps in an attempt to resolve the issue. They will also narrow down the potential cause, which may indicate whether the issue is due to hardware - which then warrants a replacement.

• 1 month later...
Our support team provides troubleshooting steps in an attempt to resolve the issue. They will also narrow down the potential cause, which may indicate whether the issue is due to hardware - which then warrants a replacement.

Albert and Nick, I don’t think that there is anything “broken”. I’ve had 3 of the virtuoso headsets and each time I’ve returned them because the side tone was barely there. I had upgraded from a pair of hs70’s and the side tone on those was almost too loud at max. I was disappointed and thought that the models I had were defective but a very quiet side tone seems to be how the headsets designed to work. I felt like I was crazy but finding this thread makes me feel better that I’m not the only one with this problem and that it seems to be more of a ‘feature’ and not a ‘bug’. I contacted support a couple years ago when I experienced the issues, tried all the troubleshooting steps with no change, and just took them back.

I wound up having the same issue with my steelseries Arctis 7, but there was a ‘hack’ where you could go into the settings database and manually increase the side tone to louder than the software would allow. After doing that, it’s great.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got my Virtuoso SEs today and I'd like to second this entire thread, too. It's not that there's no sidetone, or that it's broken. It's there, it's just way too quiet even at max volume and needs increasing via a software update or something.
  • Like 1

Like everyone else, I just upgraded to the Virtuoso (from void pros). The sidetone works, it's just far, FAR too quiet. You have to put the mic almost inside of your mouth to be able to hear yourself even at 100% in ICUE, with mic volume at full. Obviously, everyone can then hear you breathe etc etc, so it's not a sustainable option.

The ONLY temporary fix is to turn the headset volume WAY up in volume mixer, then turn everything else individually down, but the quality is bad and you have to immediately turn down every single program you launch or risk having your eardrums blown, plus you have to do this separately for both wired and wireless modes.

The headset is otherwise the best I've ever owned, but this is such a big issue for me that I'm considering returning them. Please, PLEASE, patch in a fix for this or SOMETHING, this is really not on for a headset of this price range and a company that has done so well with sidetone on past models.

• Like 1

Albert / Nick

The problem with low volume sidetone exists with both iCUE 3 and iCUE 4 (I have tried both).

My headset is new as of May 6 with exactly the same issue. I'm coming from VOID PRO RGB ELITE Wireless. The sidetone volume on the VOID PRO set is probably 500% louder compared to the VIRTUOSO SE. The sidetone volume with the virtuoso SE is soo quiet, its essentially not usable.

• 2 weeks later...
I just picked up my first pair of corsair virtuosos and I can assure you this is still an ongoing problem. I previously had a pair of Logitech G633 and the sidetone on those were amazing but had too many plastic parts and eventually broke. I am very upset this is seriously still a problem. I read the entire thread and tried all the suggestions just to make sure and none of them helped. Going from something with amazing sidetone to something with virtually no sidetone even when headphones on max and sidetone turned to max. After using them for a week the biggest problems were the ear cups are far too shallow and I switched them for $15 which I shouldn't have to do on such a nice set of headphones and second the sidetone is horrible and I catch myself talking extremely loud and repeating myself because it feels like I'm being talked over in games because I can't hear my own voice. I would recommend spending your money on a different pair of headphones.

• 1 month later...
I just created my account to support and tell that the sidetone is too weak at maximum. I always end up shouting, because I cant hear myself enough... if you really want to save my marriage and not loose another customer, please send a software update and make extremely loud the sidetone if I set it at MAXIMUM on icue. Just that. In case it's too loud, I can always put it down on ICUE. MAX means...MAX. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there everyone. Just bumping this thread as a reminder for @Corsair Albert, or someone at Corsair, that those of us who decided to stick around and not return the headset are still waiting for an update to fix this absurd sidetone issue. Corsair, nothing is broken. Just please please PLEASE simply update your iCue code so that we are able to set the max sidetone volume higher. That's all we want and need. Please!!

On 5/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, Corsair Albert said:

If you haven't already, please open a ticket at https://help.corsair.com, our support will look into the issue and help troubleshoot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, mcgrizzzz said:

Nick,

On the old ICUE versions, there was an XML file that had the sidetone volume MAXED at only 25%. Editing this to 100% fixed the issue for everyone.

With the newest version of ICUE, it seems that file has vanished and the sidetone is permanently maxed at 25%

It was located in program files\corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\devices\profile_void_usb.xml

<maxSidetoneLevelValue>25</maxSidetoneLevelValue>

For all intents and purposes, the sidetone on the Void Elite Pro is practically useless now.

There is something in the software limiting the sidetone. I have searched through all of ICUE's install files and no option like this exists now.

I purchased the Virtuoso SE today, upgrading from the Void Pro Elite RGBs of which I abolutely loved, comfort, sound, and SIDETONE. 

This seems to be the exact issue here as the sidetone works on the VSE but is annoyingly quiet at MAX volume.  I can hear the air or when I cup my hand around the mic I can hear myself in the side tone, but as this person pointed out it feels like the sidetone at MAX volume in the iCUE software puts the sidetone TRUE setting at 25% or less because you cannot even hear it.