Corsair Community

Water Damage on Keyboard While Running

Zveni

To put it bluntly, I messed up. I spilled flavored water on my Corsair K70 while I was using it. I immediately unplugged it from my computer and went to work taking all of the keycaps off and cleaning it. I cleaned the keycaps, put rubbing alcohol on a q tip and went in between the.. trenches? Well, I dried everything off and put all the keycaps on and plugged the keyboard back in... only to see my keyboard freaking out. It seemed like all of the buttons were being pushed at once. I unplugged the keyboard and decided to leave it upside down in my basement so it could dry even more... I guess. It has been like that for about 4 days and I don't know whether I should try it again or let it sit for a little longer. Overall i'm asking: Is it broken or do I still have hope that it can work. Also, is there a return policy for water damage? Thank you.

BTW, for the future, the ONLY way to properly deal with water damage like this (if you unplugged the keyboard before electrical shorts can blow up parts) is to fully disassemble the keyboard and open up the case. Then you need to remove the PCB and then dry it out fully with the PCB exposed. If you want to clean anything left over or any sort of residue, you can either use 99% alcohol (no less) or use Deoxit D5 and then clean whats left with 99% alcohol. Let the PCB dry in the sun and then put everything back together.

Many novices just think that wiping the backplate or getting water out of the switches is enough. it's not. It's water on the PCB, which probably got there quickly, that you can't see, which breaks stuff. Water stuck in switches can get on later.

Well, I have let the keyboard sit for about five days in my basement, and I am glad to say that it works great. Its a little bit crusty (for lack of a better word), but using it and breaking it in surely will bring it back to its original state.

• Corsair Employee
Well, I have let the keyboard sit for about five days in my basement, and I am glad to say that it works great. Its a little bit crusty (for lack of a better word), but using it and breaking it in surely will bring it back to its original state.

Glad to hear that there was no major issues. You are one of the lucky ones!

Archived