Corsair Community

My K70's USB port just died with smoke

bhavv

I plugged in the USB disk that came with my new motherboard containing all its drivers into my K70s USB port. It didnt work, I tried uplugging and replugging. Still didnt work so I removed it.

A few seconds later I smell electrical burning, and was worried it might be coming from my mobo or PSU. However just then a load of smoke came out of the keyboards USB port, and its been smelling like burning since, even after unplugging it from the PC.

And it wont stop smelling like burning :x

My invoice date for when I bought it is 04/07/2014, I think it has a 24 month warranty right?

I sent a ticket, the number is - 6748940

So the issue happened on your motherboard right away after you switched to it?

What is the new motherboard model? And what PSU do you have, did you change that too?

EDIT: seems Reapexx beat me to it and we are thinking the same exact thing.

Well, I basically just upgraded to X99 on Monday. Following a lot of system hanging / freezing issues, I was advised by Scan support to reinstall windows due to having upgraded to a new socket.

So I just finished reinstalling windows 10, via the keyboards USB drive and an SDHC card and reader, and then I needed to install all the drivers for my motherboard. Unplugged my Windows 10 boot media, plugged in my motherboards USB driver disk, and thats when it stopped working and heated up to the point of smoke coming out.

There might be two reasons why this happened:

1) The USB port might have been overburdened after installing Windows 10. However I've used the keyboard's port with my SDHC card and reader for a total of 3 windows reinstalls with no problems up until now.

2) After the windows reinstall, because my motherboard / intel drivers werent installed, there might have been a problem with the USB ports, leading to the issue you mentioned (being fed too much electricity).

Motherboard is MSI Godlike Gaming, and my PSU is a rather old XFX 850w black edition, which Im also upgrading to a 1000w EVGA T2 titanium PSU arriving tomorrow (the PC issues I was having prior to reinstalling windows may have been PSU problems too, and maybe both that and this current issue may have been).

It might have actually been because of the driver USB disk.

The USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard are unaffected and still work, but I didnt notice that the provided USB disk is USB 3.0 (maybe 3.1) and only works via the USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard. When plugging it into the 2.0 slots, it doesnt power up, but my keboard and mouse still work through both.

But that seems bizarre, that plugging a USB 3.0 disk into a 2.0 slot could cause that, but it could explain why the port was fed too much electricity?

So the issue happened on your motherboard right away after you switched to it?

No, it worked completely fine to re install windows 10, and prior to that it has my wireless mouse's receiver plugged in (Im going to buy a Corsair Scimitar mouse soon though, but after selling all my old hardware as my savings are gone from this upgrade).

The problem happened after I reinstalled windows so I had no drivers for anything installed, and plugged in the USB 3.0 (maybe 3.1) driver disk to try and install all the drivers :x

Worst. Upgrade. Ever. (In that theres nothing wrong with the components, but rather all the issues I've been having since upgrading to X99 on monday).

Archived